North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:41:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 78422 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »

Could everyone please take a deep breath and calm down?  The world is not on the brink of nuclear war.  Yes, sabers are being rattled.  That's happened many times before, and it's a long way from actual warfare.  We've been much, much closer to the brink than this.

(FWIW: I remember air raid drills in school during the Cuban Missile Crisis; my school actually had its own shelter.)

Some people just love to panic it seems.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »

Could everyone please take a deep breath and calm down?  The world is not on the brink of nuclear war.  Yes, sabers are being rattled.  That's happened many times before, and it's a long way from actual warfare.  We've been much, much closer to the brink than this.

(FWIW: I remember air raid drills in school during the Cuban Missile Crisis; my school actually had its own shelter.)

VirginiaModerate has been telling us war is almost inevitable. Its hard to determine a good medium of freak out right now.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »

Absolutely. Why, for example:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's almost as though the so-called President is a stupid and out-of-touch bloodthirsty madman who needs to be removed from office as soon as the GOP manages to find it's own rear end
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2017, 08:07:01 PM »

Gotta love how our President keeps instigating a conflict with North Korea

This is a time where folks have to decide whether or not they will be loyal Americans and root and pray for America to prevail, or whether or not they want to be right, whatever it costs America.  

I was more than a little shocked about President Trump's rhetoric today, but even Trump critics like Charles Krauthammer have pointed out that North Korea's nuclear program is a can we've been kicking down the road.  We've delayed the issue, and it's certainly OK to delay issues such as this as long as we can, but the questions of whether or not there is any more can-kicking, and how much can-kicking there is left, are upon us right now.

We have not been able to persuade North Korea that there are consequences for these actions.  Additionally, we are in a situation with North Korea where our enemies and rivals wish to use our goodness and decency as a nation to manipulate us.  They remind us of our use of the Atomic Bomb on Japan, but ignore Japan's barbarity and uber-militarism during WWII and dismiss President Truman's duty to save AMERICAN lives first.  They remind us of the potential of civilian casualties, but treat North Korea as a victim, and a victim of something other than three generations of the Communist Kim Dynasty.  As extreme as Trump's statement today was, is there reason to believe that Kim Jong Un is responsive to any other kind of appeal?

I'm praying for America.  I'm praying for South Korea and Japan as well.  As for the rest of the World, I'm praying that they come to their senses.  
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »

Gotta love how our President keeps instigating a conflict with North Korea

This is a time where folks have to decide whether or not they will be loyal Americans and root and pray for America to prevail, or whether or not they want to be right, whatever it costs America.  

I was more than a little shocked about President Trump's rhetoric today, but even Trump critics like Charles Krauthammer have pointed out that North Korea's nuclear program is a can we've been kicking down the road.  We've delayed the issue, and it's certainly OK to delay issues such as this as long as we can, but the questions of whether or not there is any more can-kicking, and how much can-kicking there is left, are upon us right now.

I'm certainly not advocating going nuclear.  But let's face facts:  We have not been able to persuade North Korea that there are consequences for these actions.  Additionally, we are in a situation with North Korea where our enemies and rivals wish to use our goodness and decency as a nation to manipulate us.  They remind us of our use of the Atomic Bomb on Japan, but ignore Japan's barbarity and uber-militarism during WWII and dismiss President Truman's duty to save AMERICAN lives first.  They remind us of the potential of civilian casualties, but treat North Korea as a victim, and a victim of something other than three generations of the Communist Kim Dynasty.  As extreme as Trump's statement today was, is there reason to believe that Kim Jong Un is responsive to any other kind of appeal?

I'm praying for America.  I'm praying for South Korea and Japan as well.  As for the rest of the World, I'm praying that they come to their senses.  
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »

So what happens if North Korea attacks Guam with ballistic missiles? And the ideology of communism will not flourish much longer on the face of the planet. Trump is doing exactly what he needs to do IMO by issuing a warning and it means he's serious about it.

enjoy getting drafted little boy

Let's hope he's the first one to go given he's so enthusiastic about it.

I have been saying it and I would be proud to serve my country to defend it at all costs.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »

The only way to deal with NK is accepting that we would have to 'sacrifice' SK and likely Japan in the process. And sacrifice meaning they'd have to take the blunt of the destruction and casualties in the ensuing conflict. This won't be Iraq/Afghan where there were no allies or developed countries nearby and it was largely isolated.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »

They wouldn't strike Guam itself, but the statement said they would consider hitting the waters around Guam as a warning. That's also a crucial distinction that's not being made in a lot of the reporting. The point is we're currently in a cycle of escalation and it's something that has to be broken.

Yep, basically NK threatened to fire a warning shot and Trump responded by threatening to full on nuke them. Not too smart.

Maybe I'm in denial, but I personally don't think Kim is actually dumb enough to launch a first strike unless we scare him and make him think that we're about to invade or nuke them. They're just trying to get attention to get a visit from US diplomats, aid, or a reduction in sanctions. Don't reward them by giving them what they want and don't say stupid stuff like Trump's been doing that just might goad them into trying something.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »

This.

Thankfully, somebody understands.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »

What I'm nervous about is that if war would occur, we would most likely seek to push for a democracy in North Korea or reunification, which is good, but I don't believe North Koreans would be so willing to transition.  Elements of the army would stay loyal, and guerrilla fighters imitating the Vietcong would most likely appear, made up of soldiers, ex-soldiers, and civilians.  There have been years of brainwashing at work, and a simple transition won't be so easy.

First and foremost, I hope I'm wrong about war.

Second, if war occurs and we do seek to change North Korea, I hope there is less resistance than I fear will appear.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »

So what happens if North Korea attacks Guam with ballistic missiles? And the ideology of communism will not flourish much longer on the face of the planet. Trump is doing exactly what he needs to do IMO by issuing a warning and it means he's serious about it.

I have been saying it and I would be proud to serve my country to defend it at all costs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cy60odOnUc
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »

This President faces an existential crisis not seen since Cuba when JFK was in office.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »

Then go ahead and sign up...what are you waiting for cuck?
Not everyone at Atlas loves America enough to put politics aside.

I'm not a big flag-waver, but I'm an American and I pray that our President (whether you like the fact or not) will succeed in his objectives for America in this matter.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2017, 08:29:20 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2017, 08:37:38 PM by Holistic Harris »

I'm not a big flag-waver, but I'm an American and I pray that our President (whether you like the fact or not) will succeed in his objectives for America in this matter.

This is exactly right. It's a fight to retain our freedoms and democracy. I'll be sure to wait for you to defend us while you cower in fear. And I'd also ask if everyone on this forum could exercise a degree of political tolerance for others' political beliefs. This isn't about our leanings, it's about the safety and security of our nation among others. If you won't protect it, you are inherently un-American.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »

This is exactly right. It's a fight to retain our freedoms and democracy. I'll be sure to wait for you to defend us while you cower in fear. And I'd also ask if everyone on this forum could exercise a degree of political tolerance for others' political beliefs. This isn't about our leanings, it's about the safety and security of our nation among others. If you won't protect it, you are inherently un-American.

"If you don't agree with my perception of this situation, you aren't a real American"

Sounds about right
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »

"If you don't agree with my perception of this situation, you aren't a real American"

Sounds about right

No, I'm saying that it's not based on our opinions of politics. It's about preventing the deaths of our own citizens and our allies.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »

Dude you couldn't even ask a girl out without making her feel like a potential rape victim.  How are we supposed to trust you to protect our freedumbs and demokkkracy?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #217 on: August 08, 2017, 08:54:49 PM »

Dude you couldn't even ask a girl out without making her feel like a potential rape victim.  How are we supposed to trust you to protect our freedumbs and demokkkracy?

That is irrelevant and if you think that bothers me you're mistaken. Because many of you won't.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »

Why are conservatives blaming Clinton for this when NK went nuclear under Bush and it continued under Obama. They all realized a military option was the only option and didn't think it was worth it.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2017, 08:57:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure no one actually wants the United States to get nuked. That's the whole point of criticizing Trump's approach to the situation so far. He's made the odds of nuclear war higher than they would be with a more level headed person at the helm. Not going into denial and acting like everything's being handled just fine doesn't mean you want a war to break out.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »

Why are conservatives blaming Clinton for this when NK went nuclear under Bush and it continued under Obama. They all realized a military option was the only option and didn't think it was worth it.

All were at fault. Trump must solve this once and for all. It's unavoidable anymore. This has escalated to this level as a result of ignoring this imminent threat by previous administrations in the past.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: August 08, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure no one actually wants the United States to get nuked. That's the whole point of criticizing Trump's approach to the situation so far. He's made the odds of nuclear war higher than they would be with a more level headed person at the helm. Not going into denial and acting like everything's being handled just fine doesn't mean you want a war to break out.

I've highlighted the crux of the immediate issue. 

You say the problem is Trump's approach.  Is that really true?  Trump has conveyed to the North Koreans that there will be real consequences that will occur if they keep making nuclear threats toward the US.  Is there a consequence to not responding, kicking the can down the road some more, that is preferable?

I'm normally a can-kicker myself, but North Korea's nuclear program has expanded exponentially since Trump took office.  Or, maybe, it had expanded faster than we anticipated for years and now is the time for the "big reveal".  And this Nutty Buddy over in North Korea that runs the show seems OK with pointing out that his missiles may hit Guam, or Alaska, or whatever.  Kim Jong Un does not appear to be moved by rational appeals.  It's not entirely unreasonable to me to think that scaring the living crap out of this guy, if it can be done, is the only way to bring him to any point approaching reasonableness.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #222 on: August 08, 2017, 09:06:51 PM »

Anyways Trump attempt to look tough has failed, NK has called his bluff so much for those 'balls' he has.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »

So are we all doomed now
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2017, 09:23:35 PM »

I've highlighted the crux of the immediate issue. 

You say the problem is Trump's approach.  Is that really true?  Trump has conveyed to the North Koreans that there will be real consequences that will occur if they keep making nuclear threats toward the US.  Is there a consequence to not responding, kicking the can down the road some more, that is preferable?

I'm normally a can-kicker myself, but North Korea's nuclear program has expanded exponentially since Trump took office.  Or, maybe, it had expanded faster than we anticipated for years and now is the time for the "big reveal".  And this Nutty Buddy over in North Korea that runs the show seems OK with pointing out that his missiles may hit Guam, or Alaska, or whatever.  Kim Jong Un does not appear to be moved by rational appeals.  It's not entirely unreasonable to me to think that scaring the living crap out of this guy, if it can be done, is the only way to bring him to any point approaching reasonableness.

Well, like I said in my first post, I don't think NK is going to actually launch a first strike unless they think they're preempting us. Reiterating that we'll respond with overwhelming force if they attack us or our allies, upping sanctions, and continuing the military drills is a good enough response. Threatening an attack against them just in response to statements from Kim or them firing warning shots is the kind of thing that could start a war no one wants.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies