North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:42:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 78129 times)
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: December 04, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the premise of this article (the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula is not happening), it annoys the hell out of me whenever I see the Iraq/Libya comparison. North Korea actually has a strong non-nuclear deterrent (the shelling of Seoul) that neither Libya or Iraq had...even if you take the nuclear threat out of the equation, thousands upon thousands of civilians would die in a second Korean War even if the South and the US were to secure a fairly quick victory. Libya is an even worse comparison, because Qaddafi was in trouble even before the US/European intervention, we only intervened in the midst of a popular revolution—something that is unlikely (at least right now) in North Korea.

Qaddafi would have won if West hadn't intervened, and probably fast.

About a non-nuclear deterrent... It's a complicated question. Some experts said that without the nukes DPRK couldn't hurt South Korea heavily enough, and death toll of civilians of Seul would be thousands of people, but less than 10000
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #751 on: December 04, 2017, 06:13:59 PM »

Seoul is close enough to NK for conventional artillery to pose an existential threat, nukes or no nukes.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #752 on: December 04, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »

Even if it were only 10,000, that's still
10,000 ing dead innocent people.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #753 on: December 05, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »

Unless NK's artillery is magically taken out all at once "10,000 or less" seems a little too optimistic.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #754 on: December 06, 2017, 08:21:14 AM »

I think Trump's ideology dictates that he may use swift and severe force against North Korea. As mentioned before, enough kicking cans down the road.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #755 on: December 06, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »

I think Trump's ideology dictates that he may use swift and severe force against North Korea. As mentioned before, enough kicking cans down the road.

You should go fight in the glorious war....oh wait!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #756 on: December 06, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »

Easy for you to say, no one cares enough to nuke Ohio.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #757 on: December 06, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »

Hey, I like Ohio.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #758 on: December 06, 2017, 07:09:53 PM »

North Korea is no threat to the United States none of these so called ‘ICBMs’ have successfuly reentered the atmosphere and there’s no evidence they can minuturize a nuclear warhead. If it was up to me we would pull out of South Korea and let them defend themselves. It’s to bad the news media likes to exaggerate threats from third world countries like Iran and North Korea in order to give war mongers ammunition for their reckless military adventures,
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #759 on: December 07, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »

I’m wayyyyy more worried about NK and it’s Chinese patron than I am Iran.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #760 on: December 07, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »

I’m wayyyyy more worried about NK and it’s Chinese patron than I am Iran.
Obviously, Iran hasn't really threatened to nuke the US or US territories.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #761 on: December 07, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »

North Korea is no threat to the United States none of these so called ‘ICBMs’ have successfully reentered the atmosphere and there’s no evidence they can miniaturize a nuclear warhead. If it was up to me we would pull out of South Korea and let them defend themselves. It’s too bad the news media likes to exaggerate threats from third world countries like Iran and North Korea in order to give warmongers ammunition for their reckless military adventures,

They will get there within 6 months to a year according to the latest media reporting on the IC analysis of this. Also, they are ICBMs, not "so called". Please feel free to watch NASIC's recreation demo of the most recent launch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gZWkLRN-c

The media should do its job and is doing so. The threats from NK and Iran are real, Iran has been tamed via the JCPOA but has the capability to ramp things up even more if it wanted to.

The media and the hawks in the government and think tanks have been "warning" about Iranian nukes in 18 months since the 90s.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #762 on: December 07, 2017, 05:18:45 PM »

LMAO
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #763 on: December 07, 2017, 11:50:46 PM »

I don’t understand why America can’t learn to live with nuclear proliferation. There has been much less global violence since the invention of nuclear weapons. We are currently living in the most peaceful time in human history and nuclear weapons are largely to thank for that. If you think I’m nuts just look at the India-Pakistan conflict, before both countries got nuclear weapons they would fight each other in massive ground wars every decade resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands. Now both countries are developing a peaceful respectful relationship and future generations won’t Evan remember those bloody wars. The only way to achieve world peace is for every normal functioning government to acquire nuclear weapons. This would also discourage the America from attacking third world countries by providing a more Evan playing field.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #764 on: December 07, 2017, 11:58:46 PM »

And before everyone calls me a crazy troll research professors Kenneth waltz and John mearshiemer they both were prominent foreign policy experts who advocated this viewpoint.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #765 on: December 08, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »

These kinds of statements from you make me think that you are either a kid or maybe low twenties and not to be taken seriously. At this point, you are a troll and nothing more. If you add substantive commentary and not BS, I (and Atlas) will take you seriously. Until then, research your issues more or feel free to can it.

I've seen you say this twice now, but he doesn't appear to be trolling. He makes a good point, and you have a good counter point, but it doesn't mean he was a troll to state it.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #766 on: December 08, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/07/north-korea-ready-direct-talks-us-sergei-lavrov

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Russia gets to position itself as the sane voice of reason. Another payday from their investment in Traitor Trump.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #767 on: December 08, 2017, 03:24:14 PM »

For those of you who still need convincing how terrible even the most limited nuclear exchange would be:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/this-is-how-nuclear-war-with-north-korea-would-unfold/2017/12/08/4e298a28-db07-11e7-a841-2066faf731ef_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.afa6ab6663fd
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #768 on: December 08, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »

Thanks for posting.  A fascinating and frightening read.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #769 on: December 08, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »

Well, the Russians are the voice of reason here.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #770 on: December 08, 2017, 08:49:41 PM »

I find it amazing that people like to brag about how are military would crush them but at The same time are trying to get us scared of their ICBMs that can’t reenter the atmosphere. North Korea is a small third world dictatorship that makes big threats but can’t back them up with anything credible, they are absolutely no threat to the United States. If America attacks them I would consider it a war crime carried out by the the United States against a impoverished country that can’t defend itself, just like what we did to Iraq in 2003 and what isreal and our homegrown white evangelical extremists are pressuring us to do to Iran.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #771 on: December 09, 2017, 03:07:18 AM »

There's a line in the show "Last Resort" (one season, ABC) that you have to make them think "You're just crazy enough (that you might launch nukes)".  This is what Trump is doing, essentially.  And really, the opinion from the left just helps his strategy because lil' Kim over there has to be thinking daily about if Trump is a crazy enough SOB to launch at them.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #772 on: December 09, 2017, 04:45:50 AM »

There's a line in the show "Last Resort" (one season, ABC) that you have to make them think "You're just crazy enough (that you might launch nukes)".  This is what Trump is doing, essentially.  And really, the opinion from the left just helps his strategy because lil' Kim over there has to be thinking daily about if Trump is a crazy enough SOB to launch at them.

So just like Trump, you'd set national strategic nuclear policy based on what you saw on TV?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #773 on: December 09, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »

So just like Trump, you'd set national strategic nuclear policy based on what you saw on TV?

Just trying to show some insight to a thought process.  This is basic human nature: if you make yourself seem crazier than the other guy; they are less likely to mess with you.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #774 on: December 11, 2017, 11:11:23 AM »

I sure hope Trump isn’t cribbing foreign policy strategy from Last Resort...

*For those who didn’t see Last Resort (everyone): While Daveav is comparing Trump to Andre Braugher’s submarine captain character, suffice to say the more obvious comparison would be to the insane President who in the pilot episode randomly nukes Pakistan for no reason other than to basically #MAGA.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies