North Korea Mega Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:00:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 78931 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:10:21 AM »

Btw, the effort to remove the nuclear capability from Trump (CINC) is blatantly unconstitutional

I don't think so. Congress has the power to declare war. A lot of that authority has been delegated out to the President, but Congress can always take it back.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »

Btw, the effort to remove the nuclear capability from Trump (CINC) is blatantly unconstitutional

I don't think so. Congress has the power to declare war. A lot of that authority has been delegated out to the President, but Congress can always take it back.

Wrong for nuclear. OPLAN 8010-12 is CINC and DoD.

No I don't think it's wrong at all. Yes Congress has passed laws establishing and maintaining a Department of Defense, as a mechanism for requirement to provide for the national defense, and as a means for organization the army and navy, which are all called for in the Constitution. Congress has also given the President the power to make war in certain circumstances without pre-clearance. The President is CINC of the armed forces but that in and of itself does not mean he can do whatever he wants with the armed forces or that Congress cannot impose restrictions on how he can use the armed forces.

All the links do is describe the current situation (which Congress has not seriously pushed back on to this point). There's no Constitutional argument in them.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »

Let's be clear, though - the circular error probable of these missiles is almost certainly god-awful, and North Korea isn't going to risk certain anihilation launching a missile at New York if there's a 50/50 shot it might land in the Atlantic or in the Adirondacks.

That's true but if we know they can launch a nuclear missile that might hit the US, somewhere, that's probably pretty good deterrent against us attacking them, which is what I think they want.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »

These kinds of statements from you make me think that you are either a kid or maybe low twenties and not to be taken seriously. At this point, you are a troll and nothing more. If you add substantive commentary and not BS, I (and Atlas) will take you seriously. Until then, research your issues more or feel free to can it.

I've seen you say this twice now, but he doesn't appear to be trolling. He makes a good point, and you have a good counter point, but it doesn't mean he was a troll to state it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:03:26 PM »

You have to think like Trump here and not regular international relations thought. I don't want it nor do I think it is helpful and it could very well drag China in, but Trump's stance is denial, not Cold War style containment.

I don't know if you're going to think I'm a troll or whatever, but I doubt Trump has any intention of launching an attack against North Korea if they do not attack anyone. None of us is in his head, so we don't really know. But I think he's just trying to scare them into submission, or freak out China to the point that they try to handle it somehow. Yes, war is probably a lot more likely with Trump than with maybe anyone else that was running for President, but I still think it's really unlikely. I think what will end up happening is they get their nukes, missiles, capabilities etc, and we all just live with it. Trump will fold.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies