The Hofoid House of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:03:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Hofoid House of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 84
Author Topic: The Hofoid House of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VII  (Read 236548 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: March 28, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »

If John Bolton, Mitt Romney, and George W Bush are #Resistance heroes, it's only a matter of time before they notice that Hitler almost destroyed Russia.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1201 on: March 28, 2018, 06:55:12 PM »

If the Maryland map, which is not even that gerrymandered to begin with, is struck down, without one of the Republican Congressional gerrymanders simultaneously struck down at the same time, that would make obvious that the Supreme Court is nothing more than a partisan institution.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #1202 on: March 29, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »

One of my favorite exchanges on Atlas, though.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #1203 on: March 29, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »

Was I wrong? That was indeed an example of so-called "champions of the poor" supporting a tax that would disproportionately hurt the poor.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #1204 on: March 29, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »

Was I wrong? That was indeed an example of so-called "champions of the poor" supporting a tax that would disproportionately hurt the poor.

1) It seems as if Atlas progressives are largely divided on the issue, hence it is not "indeed an example". Folks like Intell, bagelman, MB, weatherboy1102, JGibson, Skunk, Kamala, and myself are all progressives who are against the soda tax, specifically for the reason that it disproportionately hurts the poor. The conservative opposition against the soda tax is largely for a different reason - the principle of being against increased taxation.

2) The folks who do generally advocate for a soda tax tend to be more economically centrist and/or neoliberal. Michael Bloomberg comes to mind. Remind me when someone like Sanders advocated for a soda tax?

3) It really is rich that someone with a Mitt Romney signature is trying to lampoon progressivism as being dismissive of the plight of the poor.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1205 on: March 29, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2018, 02:44:09 PM by ThatConservativeGuy »

1) It seems as if Atlas progressives are largely divided on the issue, hence it is not "indeed an example". Folks like Intell, bagelman, MB, weatherboy1102, JGibson, Skunk, Kamala, and myself are all progressives who are against the soda tax, specifically for the reason that it disproportionately hurts the poor. The conservative opposition against the soda tax is largely for a different reason - the principle of being against increased taxation.

2) The folks who do generally advocate for a soda tax tend to be more economically centrist and/or neoliberal. Michael Bloomberg comes to mind. Remind me when someone like Sanders advocated for a soda tax?

3) It really is rich that someone with a Mitt Romney signature is trying to lampoon progressivism as being dismissive of the plight of the poor.

1. I was not saying all progressives support that tax, but rather that those on the forum supporting it were progressives. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. Also, conservatives oppose soda taxes for three reasons - they raise taxes, they limit personal freedom, AND they hurt the poor.

2. I see what you're saying, and I perhaps should have been a bit more more careful in my wording. However, I don't think that the main dividing line on support for this tax is between neo-liberals and those with far-left economic views but rather between people who are more populist minded and technocratically minded. The two (populism and far left economic views don't always go hand in hand).

3. Mitt Romney has done more in his personal life to help the poor and downtrodden than most people could ever hope to do. The 47% comment was him essentially saying that he understands that Democrats have an inherent advantage with poorer voters, as they offer more programs and benefits. That does not mean he wouldn't have pursued policies that would help poor Americans as president. Anyway, I'll stop relitigating the 2012 election now. :*
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1206 on: March 29, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »

3. Mitt Romney has done more in his personal life to help the poor and downtrodden than most people could ever hope to do. The 47% comment was him essentially saying that he understands that Democrats have an inherent advantage with poorer voters, as they offer more programs and benefits. That does not mean he wouldn't have pursued policies that would help poor Americans as president. Anyway, I'll stop relitigating the 2012 election now. :*

I'm kind of curious what the effect of his business decisions would be vs his philanthropy and such. I see the argument used a lot when talking about wealthy people (even from themselves) - that they've done more to help the poor than x y or z. What isn't usually mentioned is what their effect has been in the other direction. There are plenty of CEOs whose business decisions could have put a lot of people out of work, or for the pharma industry, put burdensome debt on millions of people solely for more profits. I'm sure there are/have been some wealthy corporate CEOs whose philanthropy pails in comparison to the hurt they have caused.

I'm not entirely sure what Bain Capital did. Didn't they break up / sell off companies?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1207 on: March 29, 2018, 03:10:12 PM »

What a little brownshirt. The kid is gonna crack when Family Guy or South Park takes their swing at him.

Like FAMILY GUY will attack someone progressive.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1208 on: March 29, 2018, 03:19:07 PM »

Toughen up Princess.

It's good practice for when you own your own business.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1209 on: March 29, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »

I'm kind of curious what the effect of his business decisions would be vs his philanthropy and such. I see the argument used a lot when talking about wealthy people (even from themselves) - that they've done more to help the poor than x y or z. What isn't usually mentioned is what their effect has been in the other direction. There are plenty of CEOs whose business decisions could have put a lot of people out of work, or for the pharma industry, put burdensome debt on millions of people solely for more profits. I'm sure there are/have been some wealthy corporate CEOs whose philanthropy pails in comparison to the hurt they have caused.

I'm not entirely sure what Bain Capital did. Didn't they break up / sell off companies?

Bain engages in investment and consultation operations with companies around the country. Yes, some companies ended up firing people or closing, but such is the nature of creative destruction in eliminating inefficient businesses. You have to also consider the fact that the destruction under Romney's watch at Bain pales in comparison to the creation under his watch. They invested in and helped Staples, the Sports Authority, and Steel Dynamics (now the 5th largest carbon-steel producer in the US) grow and become successful, creating tens of thousands of jobs in the process.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1210 on: March 30, 2018, 04:55:29 AM »

This is interesting.

Also a question - are non natives living in tribal land under tribal jurisdiction?

Lack of precedent. Non-natives can’t live on reservations.

Hmmm, so then my parents lied about where they lived from 1983 to 1992 and I have false memories of living there?

No, it just wasn’t a real reservation. It was a federally-deemed reservation, and I do not recognize the legitimacy of the authority of the unelected bureaucracy and Department of the Interior.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1211 on: March 30, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »

Well, fwiw, the only Democrats I ever remember seriously arguing that nonsense were Non-Swing Voter (who turned to Libertarianism lol) and a dingus who wrote a Politico article in December 2016 imploring Democrats to abandon he Midwest in favor of greener pastures in Texas, Arizona and Georgia. Of course, Dems should target the latter two states, but anyone who argues the Midwest is a lost cause for either party is a buffoon. Now, I’ve heard plenty of people describe Ohio and Iowa as Leans or likely R states and advocating for ignoring them Presidentially, but that’s much different than “abandoning the Rust Belt”

A lot of mucky mucks within the party who are directly interested in party resources moving South are quietly making the argument. And one can view the Obama/Trump vs Rising American Electorate arguments (ESPECIALLY the people who draw a strong dichotomy between those two choices as the only options) as a proxy argument for abandoning the industrial midwest to go to the sunbelt and vice versa.
They already have abandoned the midwest by giving priority to anti-gun/anti-cop measures as well as other miscellaneous SJW objectives that do nothing but make Sunbelt billionaires feel better about supporting the Democratic party. All this being done while leaving behind card-check and the public option. The Dems cannot operate as GOP-lite with the added bonus of Planned Parenthood.

Just look at how Dems spit on the face of workers by not supporting coal as well as opposing steel tariffs.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1212 on: March 30, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »

"Liberty" is overrated, and definitely not what the world needs right now.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1213 on: March 30, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »

Well, fwiw, the only Democrats I ever remember seriously arguing that nonsense were Non-Swing Voter (who turned to Libertarianism lol) and a dingus who wrote a Politico article in December 2016 imploring Democrats to abandon he Midwest in favor of greener pastures in Texas, Arizona and Georgia. Of course, Dems should target the latter two states, but anyone who argues the Midwest is a lost cause for either party is a buffoon. Now, I’ve heard plenty of people describe Ohio and Iowa as Leans or likely R states and advocating for ignoring them Presidentially, but that’s much different than “abandoning the Rust Belt”

A lot of mucky mucks within the party who are directly interested in party resources moving South are quietly making the argument. And one can view the Obama/Trump vs Rising American Electorate arguments (ESPECIALLY the people who draw a strong dichotomy between those two choices as the only options) as a proxy argument for abandoning the industrial midwest to go to the sunbelt and vice versa.
They already have abandoned the midwest by giving priority to anti-gun/anti-cop measures as well as other miscellaneous SJW objectives that do nothing but make Sunbelt billionaires feel better about supporting the Democratic party. All this being done while leaving behind card-check and the public option. The Dems cannot operate as GOP-lite with the added bonus of Planned Parenthood.

Just look at how Dems spit on the face of workers by not supporting coal as well as opposing steel tariffs.

Yeah, that post was uhh... something.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1214 on: March 30, 2018, 08:12:23 PM »

Oh, goodness, Hillary 2.0 (Harris) is gonna be the DNC/Third Way choice. I can already sense the billionaire neoliberal country club mafias in Charlotte/Miami/Atlanta to be lining up for her.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #1215 on: March 30, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »

The reaction was immediate with Republicans being estatic with their Midterms hopes getting higher while the Democratic hopes were down. One thing was certain, without Bernie, the Democrats were now having less hope for the future and it looked like things would not go as expected.

Bernie retiring from politics would give me much more hope for the Democratic Party's future. Anyway, go on!
You must be looking forward towards Democrats losing another 1000 seats, with a more strident adherence to the failures of the Obama-Clinton era: NAFTA that destroyed the Midwest, Crime bill that threw Blacks in jail, Welfare Reform that threw the poor on the street, Unnecessary military adventurism in Yugoslavia and Libya, Deregulation of Wall Street that caused the financial crises, A Healthcare bill that jacked-up health insurance prices and was written by the heritage foundation, and finally more deportations of undocumented immigrants under the "Liberal" Obama then any other president. With Democrats like these who needs Republicans?

Wow, a drop to -807 seats. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a wave.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1216 on: March 30, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »

The reaction was immediate with Republicans being estatic with their Midterms hopes getting higher while the Democratic hopes were down. One thing was certain, without Bernie, the Democrats were now having less hope for the future and it looked like things would not go as expected.

Bernie retiring from politics would give me much more hope for the Democratic Party's future. Anyway, go on!
You must be looking forward towards Democrats losing another 1000 seats, with a more strident adherence to the failures of the Obama-Clinton era: NAFTA that destroyed the Midwest, Crime bill that threw Blacks in jail, Welfare Reform that threw the poor on the street, Unnecessary military adventurism in Yugoslavia and Libya, Deregulation of Wall Street that caused the financial crises, A Healthcare bill that jacked-up health insurance prices and was written by the heritage foundation, and finally more deportations of undocumented immigrants under the "Liberal" Obama then any other president. With Democrats like these who needs Republicans?

Wow, a drop to -807 seats. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a wave.

He's including state house seats there. But as for the rest of the substance, and other posters like Mondale often say the same thing, has some things that I don't agree with regarding Obama. I prefer single payer to Obamacare but in terms of lower the number of uninsured, it's been a major success. And what's wrong with deporting undocumented illegal immigrants who have committed crimes? Do you seriously want open borders? And people totally forget that there's this thing called Congress. Was he too naive at first in regards to reaching out to Republicans? Yes, largely because despite genuine intentions, he wrongly believed in promoting bi-partisanship (something both he and Biden talked about in the 2008 election) as a way of fixing both DC and the country, and partially due to inexperience, didn't understand how unwilling they were to compromise. Am I happy with his Wall Street speeches last year or how he increased the number of interventions from 2 to 7 or his trade policy? No, but he did some good things.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1217 on: March 30, 2018, 10:15:48 PM »

I love how all the people who said Franken shouldn’t resign are now telling Esty to resign over this. Really shows the double standard that Atlas has.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1218 on: March 31, 2018, 04:54:16 AM »

If the Dems hold their convention in San Francisco or Atlanta, that would be the equivalent of the GOP holding it in Moscow.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1219 on: March 31, 2018, 05:02:42 AM »

If the Dems hold their convention in San Francisco or Atlanta, that would be the equivalent of the GOP holding it in Moscow.
Yeah, that one is nonsense.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1220 on: March 31, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »

Toughen up Princess.

What’s absurd about this? It’s true
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1221 on: March 31, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »

Toughen up Princess.

Being a POS to a kid for having s###y parents isn't cool. Also calling someone "princess" to mock them in this context is wrong on so many levels.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #1222 on: March 31, 2018, 06:47:58 PM »

Toughen up Princess.

What's absurd is the fact that as a businessman, he would be spreading disease if he did go to work. Not rocket science man.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1223 on: March 31, 2018, 06:53:36 PM »

Toughen up Princess.

Being a POS to a kid for having s###y parents isn't cool. Also calling someone "princess" to mock them in this context is wrong on so many levels.

Unless you literally can't function and are bed ridden, it's a good idea to go to school unless you're like a senior in high school, where grades don't matter.

I never missed a day of high school, and throughout grade school, I missed a total of 8 school days (not counting field trips). 3 were kindergarten in sometime in May, 2 after I got pink eye in 3rd grade the last week before Christmas break, once I was sick and the nurse sent me home in 5th grade in October, and once in 6th grade when I had a fever in March.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1224 on: March 31, 2018, 10:11:05 PM »

If McConnell supports it, it's probably a bad thing.

Click for context.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies