The Hofoid House of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VII (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:14:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Hofoid House of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VII (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Hofoid House of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VII  (Read 236827 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 04, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=270127.0

Almost every post is talking about the loony speaker being sexually attractive.

Straight guys can think girls are hot, chill out.

The real absurdity and ignorance there is to actually think she's hot.

I prefer not to have my unseemly thoughts on record, but let's get real; any problem with her attractiveness is purely age related (unless, of course, she's younger than I think she is).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 10:39:53 PM »

I prefer not to have my unseemly thoughts on record, but let's get real; any problem with her attractiveness is purely age related (unless, of course, she's younger than I think she is).

I respectfully disagree. I've seen plenty of extremely attractive older women (although I'll admit, I have a strong preference for those closer to my age). The reason I don't find her attractive is her rather masculine features; I simply like only very feminine women. She may be objectively attractive, but subjectively, she's not.

Ah, so you are calling people ignorant based on your subjective interpretation of a metric.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »

I respectfully disagree. I've seen plenty of extremely attractive older women (although I'll admit, I have a strong preference for those closer to my age). The reason I don't find her attractive is her rather masculine features; I simply like only very feminine women. She may be objectively attractive, but subjectively, she's not.

Ah, so you are calling people ignorant based on your subjective interpretation of a metric.

Cheesy

There's a lesson in this: don't take half of what I say on here seriously

Fantastic.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »

I actually support Macron's egoistic/anti-journalistic stance. Probably not in his case, but if you were to ask a respectably intelligent person how they view the world, it would likely take more explaining than is allowed in contemporary mass media.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »

People who say "COULD care less" instead of "COULDN'T care less" sound dumb.

It's terribly annoying.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 11:49:18 AM »

What is absurd about this? I'm not an Armenia expert, so I don't know much about their internal politics (aside from a 50 page article I once read on the late Soviet-era/early independence era Armenian church), so I am left to assume you are referring to its friendship with Iran.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »

What is absurd about this? I'm not an Armenia expert, so I don't know much about their internal politics (aside from a 50 page article I once read on the late Soviet-era/early independence era Armenian church), so I am left to assume you are referring to its friendship with Iran.

Preferring one country over another purely based on religion is practically the definition of bigotry. Plus, I get the feeling he would not be saying that if the question was whether he preferred Malta or, say, Bosnia.

Fair enough. I guess my curiosity was owing to the fact that we've known how BRTD's... abnormal mind works for quite some time, and secondly my own slight instinctive preference for Armenia owing partially to their religion, but also to their status as a diaspora people and their being slightly more democratic.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »

Is this untrue?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »

Wulfric's signatures all belong in here (well, actually whatever is above the signature line too), but this is a beauty:

There aren't 198 developed nations, to my knowledge. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 02:16:44 PM »

“This glib proposal to outlaw the Communist Party would be quickly recognized everywhere as an abject surrender by the great United States to the methods of totalitarianism." - Thomas Dewey

When we talk about free speech, I want everyone to understand this: free speech for all mankind, respect freely given where it is not deserved, this is a truly radical idea.

Implying that communism is morally eauivalent to neo-nazism.

Totalitarian communism is a genocidal philosophy. The original post was great - the government should have no role in the United States in outlawing political philosophies, no matter how repugnant.

Jesus f**k

We can debate all day whether "real" communism would have involved the deaths that Stalin, et al incurred, or whether or not they were necessary, but the fact remains that, where those flying the flag of communism took power, the result was a bloodbath. And, even if you have a conservative definition of genocide, the Holodomor seems as good an example as any, even if you consider it isolated. Genocide is the interaction between two variables--death and its ethnic or racial dimensions; both of those by themselves did occur in the USSR (we need merely contemplate the Man of Steel's actions as Commissar for Nationalities concerning the latter), and it is certainly not hard to imagine that they could have happened in conjunction multiple times.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »

“This glib proposal to outlaw the Communist Party would be quickly recognized everywhere as an abject surrender by the great United States to the methods of totalitarianism." - Thomas Dewey

When we talk about free speech, I want everyone to understand this: free speech for all mankind, respect freely given where it is not deserved, this is a truly radical idea.

Implying that communism is morally eauivalent to neo-nazism.

Totalitarian communism is a genocidal philosophy. The original post was great - the government should have no role in the United States in outlawing political philosophies, no matter how repugnant.

Jesus f**k

We can debate all day whether "real" communism would have involved the deaths that Stalin, et al incurred, or whether or not they were necessary, but the fact remains that, where those flying the flag of communism took power, the result was a bloodbath. And, even if you have a conservative definition of genocide, the Holodomor seems as good an example as any, even if you consider it isolated. Genocide is the interaction between two variables--death and its ethnic or racial dimensions; both of those by themselves did occur in the USSR (we need merely contemplate the Man of Steel's actions as Commissar for Nationalities concerning the latter), and it is certainly not hard to imagine that they could have happened in conjunction multiple times.

Simultaneously, we can't ignore the instances in which Communism arose without establishing an authority that pursued extraordinarily violence. Perhaps the best example is former Yugoslavia. But context is perhaps most critical in understanding any historical event; just as religion itself doesn't cause violence but serves as a justification, the same can be said of ideologies that don't explicitly promote violence against other groups. In every situation in which Communism arose, the context must be understood; this includes historical grudges, hatred, rivalry, explicit and implicit support for Communism's opposition by internal and external forces, desire for resources, and so on. Nothing in Communism promotes violence against any other group, save for the call for the overthrow of the bourgeois (which is a significantly small minority within a society). Sometimes, that may take the form of systematic persecution of religious or ethnic minorities when said minorities had once possessed disproportionate wealth/power/privileges in that society. And even that doesn't make the violence correct or excusable, especially not when it morphs into genocidal tendencies.

If mentions of Communist countries' undisputable violence and possible genocides is occurring, it's also fair to mention the countless examples of extraordinary violence perpetrated by capitalist forces as well. What the US did to North Korea resulted in near decimation of the country and the death of nearly 1/3rd of its population; the total bombs dropped during the Vietnam War across Southeast Asia far surpassed that of WWII (and that conflict was instigated by French colonialism and American imperialism); the support provided to the White Russian Army aided it in mass violence (including British use of chemical weapons on Russian civilians); the forced displacement, terrorism, segregation, and warfare against Palestinians by Zionist settlers supported by Great Britain and the Western-dominated League of Nations and UN; and the unimaginable forced relocation, enslavement, genocide, and displacement of tens of millions of people in the Americas, Africa, Asia, and Oceania, by Western colonial powers.

The point is, power and inequality almost always birth violence and persecutions. That occurs whether the system is Communist, Capitalist, or whatever; it occurs whether people are Christian, Muslim, Atheist, or other.

I hear you loud and clear; my primary point involved the operative word “totalitarian”. I’m willing to cede that, aside from necessarily revolutionary violence, that revolutionary communism doesn’t “have” to be as violent as it was. That said, it *did* happen. An interesting point that Arendt makes—and we can debate its verifiabikity, but I think it brings up something important—is that what she called totalitarian societies treated their citizens as a conquered country, or, rather, much how they might treat a foreign country.

As for your other points, I’ve always found the “he did this...” style of debate to kack real comparison (the other instance that this comes up is in discussing right versus left terrorism). If we are discussing communism while keeping basic standards of decency we’ve come to accept, we should most certainly condemn its worst iterations.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »

In reference to Charles Manson's death...

This is sadder than the time High Hefner died Cry

What a year for Commiefornia. Tragic.

I mean, Manson contributed more to popular culture than Hugh Hefner ever did.
I mean, Hugh Hefner contributed more to "not being a cult leader and having people murdered" than Manson ever did.

Why can’t we just mourn both!? :’(
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »

This is such a stupid conversation.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »

Movie quote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 10:26:06 PM »

When I was still in high school, I saw a play version of that film (was it originally a play?) at a Catholic high school on the West Side, in a collaboration between an all boys and an all girls school. I was intrigued enough, and saw part of the movie once. My parents were musicians and I'd been instructed in a few instruments, so the plight of that piano player with four or more keyboardists was very sympathetic to me. I remember specifically the scene where they are playing music in the streets and the woman who wanted to be famous is singing "I'm gonna live forever." The keyboardist's cab driver father is shouting "That's my son!" I am to this day very upset that they remade it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »

I guarantee that it is worse for me than either of them.  When your biggest concern is abortion, elections are really life-or-death events and at least another, maybe 2 more, Holocausts will happen due to this setback.

Have you become full-on liberal?

Using the word "Holocaust" when describing anything but the Holocaust is automatically absurd. The idea that Roy Moore is the difference between ending abortion in America and not might be even more absurd, though.

That was my initial thought when i read this ... how in the hell would roy moore end abortion.

Maybe he'll use his, as he calls it for the kids, "magic wand."

Yeezus, dude.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »

Your signature is a complete travesty to common sense and intelligence. It's blatantly false and (lazily) tries to twist statistics to fit your demented viewpoints.

BYE! FELICIA!

(Reaction to my signature)

Don't get the "bye felicia" part...but this belongs in the Kalwejt Megathread for Atlas Hilarity too.

To be honest, I would call my sig (even though it's ironic, see the Luxemburg reference), and my political position as a whole, to be of the "left-socdem" variant. Normal social democrats are mostly inoffensive.

Regardless of “fact”, it is an aesthetic disaster.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 07:29:46 AM »

Macron is great.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 08:38:19 PM »

Wow, France's Jupiterian leader seems to attract from support from every kind of person. That's an omen.

He appears to act generally to the “right” of the currently moribund Merkel premiership. He also appears slightly more protectionist and cautious on refugees than your average Europeist. If that’s what neoliberalism now looks like, then so be it. But I also read biased sources.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 07:37:12 PM »

No. My life motto is better:

If it bleeds, we can f**k it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:11 AM »

EVERYTHING is about race/sex. Everything.

Remember kids, it's OK for white males to refer to themselves as "the next president" or whatever, but not OK when women or minorities do it.

If you don't think race plays some factor (in fairness, it's probably subconscious more often than not) in the True Leftist rage against Kamala Harris (2nd most progressive Senator) and Cory Booker (3rd most progressive senator), you're willfully ignorant.

I don’t really care about this conversation, but it seems a tad disingenuous to label someone the second most progressive Senator after a *year*.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »

EVERYTHING is about race/sex. Everything.

Remember kids, it's OK for white males to refer to themselves as "the next president" or whatever, but not OK when women or minorities do it.

If you don't think race plays some factor (in fairness, it's probably subconscious more often than not) in the True Leftist rage against Kamala Harris (2nd most progressive Senator) and Cory Booker (3rd most progressive senator), you're willfully ignorant.

I don’t really care about this conversation, but it seems a tad disingenuous to label someone the second most progressive Senator after a *year*.

I'm just quoting their DWNominate scores since those are the most commonly cited scores out there. We can use other scores and rankings if you'd rather, which consistently put the pair in the top 10, but always 2-3.

I’m discussing duration of time; one’s record probably isn’t as good a barometer as that of someone who’s served four or five years, and particularly in these polarizing times.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:46 PM »

Yesterday at 4:52pm I was finishing a bag of goldfish and getting ready to head out to the pyscologist, anyways, sorry for your loss.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 12:14:33 PM »

On a more serious note, I really don't understand the distinction between politics and "identity" politics.  

If you understand politics to simply be the collectivization of interests (that is, people coming together to protect and promote things that are economically/socially advantageous for them) then basically all politics is an appeal to some sort of identity whether that be something like the business community, the higher-education community, the agricultural community or something more nefarious like BLM or White nationalism.  

Putting up Black Lives Matter as something as bad as white nationalism.

Apparently being in the business community is analogous to white nationalism too.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies