What is Sen. Sanders' Appeal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:48:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is Sen. Sanders' Appeal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is Sen. Sanders' Appeal?  (Read 1164 times)
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:11:53 PM »

(Even after being here for half a year, I still don't know if I'm putting stuff in the right threads Tongue )

So, I've wondered this for a while, but what exactly makes Senator Bernie Sanders so appealing? Personally, I think he's a good person, but his policies are horrendous. His programs would choke the American people with an estimated $15 trillion tax hike in March of 2016 (http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/bernie-sanders-tax-increases-220267). It wouldn't matter if you were Bill Gates or an average Joe, you'd see a tax hike. Another thing that's troubling is that according to the Lugar Center, Bernie Sanders is the least bipartisan politician in the Senate, with Ted Cruz in a distant second (http://www.thelugarcenter.org/ourwork-Bipartisan-Index.html). Third, he seems way further to the left than the general public, so you'd think extreme politics would drive support away from him.

So, really, what exactly makes him so appealing?

(Please don't be hostile towards me, I'm just curious.)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »

1) I'm ok with my taxes going up for programs that will greatly benefit both my and everyone else's life.

2) Have you seen the Republican party lately? Why would I ever vote for someone who works with that mess?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »

to me, it's because he comes across like he actually gives a sh**t.  I generally dislike his politics too, but I'd much rather vote for somebody I generally disagree with politically that actually means well than an asshole that generally agrees with me.

but I'm weird that way.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »

Third, he seems way further to the left than the general public, so you'd think extreme politics would drive support away from him.

There aren't as many "mythical moderates" as you might think. For one, many "independents" are leftists who feel that they're too left for the Democrats. Also, our current type of politics has failed many people, so they're willing to go for an "extreme" candidate like Sanders.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »

He ain't a Clinton
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »

Still obsessed with someone who lost the election. With that said, her bank account laughs at her broke and tired haters. She gets money, you stay bitter.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 03:29:33 PM »

Still obsessed with someone who lost the election. With that said, her bank account laughs at her broke and tired haters. She gets money, you stay bitter.

Actually, I think my answer is factually correct. 
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »

O'Malley went so far
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »

The election is over. Some tend to forget that fact.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »

Yeah it's definitely Grumps who is still obsessed with Hillary Clinton.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »

One thing I frequently heard at the college I used to work at, other groups I'm involved with & misc friends is that he is authentic and trustworthy. I have to agree with them. At least with Bernie, you know where he stands and you can believe he will fight for what he believes in until he can't fight anymore. His kind of authenticity is a rare thing in politics, imo. He's one of only 2 politicians I trust implicitly, where I don't have to fight myself for reasons to believe what they say.
Higgins
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »

He's a cult figure for the Democrats' Tea Party to rally around.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »

His stance on money in politics.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 06:02:49 PM »

1) I'm ok with my taxes going up for programs that will greatly benefit both my and everyone else's life.

2) Have you seen the Republican party lately? Why would I ever vote for someone who works with that mess?
Then you'll be paying for something you may never use. It won't matter if you use it, you'll be paying for it.

Also, hyperpartisanship would cause more division, more headaches, and more agitation in Washington and the country as a whole. The far-left or far-right are not the solutions to our problems.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »

to me, it's because he comes across like he actually gives a sh**t.  I generally dislike his politics too, but I'd much rather vote for somebody I generally disagree with politically that actually means well than an asshole that generally agrees with me.

but I'm weird that way.

This.

Bernie's policies are wishful thinking and overly simplistic. But he believes in something, which is a rare quality to find in politicians these days.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2017, 06:25:19 PM by omelott »

Unlike Clinton, his positions are clear cut. He has a consistent voting record and is vocal about legislation he opposes. He promised to stay in the 2016 race until the final vote was casted, and even after losing the nomination, he's one of the most active senators in congress. That, plus his pledge to refuse Wall Street money, comforts his supporters in knowing that he'll actively fight for the things he promised.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 06:47:36 PM »

He's not my cup of tea but I get that he's authentic and like someone's irascible beloved old grandpa
Gone to Carolina
SaltGiver
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »

I had people in my family of all different types of political leaning vote for / support /or praise Sanders to some degree from business republicans such as my dad, to ancestral WWC democrats like my grandparents. I can only think of one family member who has unequivocally spoken of hatred for Sanders was an uncle who is a stock broker / financial adviser.  Generally people I've talked to really like him because they perceive him as honest and "not another politician."
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »

Then you'll be paying for something you may never use. It won't matter if you use it, you'll be paying for it.

Also, hyperpartisanship would cause more division, more headaches, and more agitation in Washington and the country as a whole. The far-left or far-right are not the solutions to our problems.

So? You never know what'll happen and when you (or someone you do know) could be at the bottom in need of that service.

Also, hyperpartisanship has always been a complaint, even back in the '70's and '80's when the far-right was given the proper laugh at. Yet Reagan won. And how is the dead-center a solution? The dead center moves wherever the goalposts go,wherever the comfy status quo can be kept. The extremes are malleable and set the standard one way or another.

With Reaganomics showing their age, it is clear that a bigger government direction is what is yearned for, and atm Bernie is the most charismatic figure for such an idea. Just as Reagan murdered The New Deal ideas as they showed age justbecause of how charismatic he could make it...and after all that effort Goldwater took 16 years earlier....
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 07:03:37 PM »

Unless I die suddenly, I am going to use a hospital at some point in my life.

Also I would some of the most harmful pieces of legislation from the past 30 years were bipartisan efforts.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »

I got really annoyed with Bernie during the campaign, but now that it's all over, I am impressed with how he continually puts himself out there to help the people and keep us abreast of what is going on in DC. I agree with the others that he is genuine and walks his talk, basically.

Even at his age, Bernie works his butt off for the people and the causes he believes in. Most of the others don't have the time because they're too busy worrying about getting re-elected.

Bernie has staying power. He is someone who commands respect, and he doesn't seem to be slowing down one little bit. FF

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »

What interests me is how much time and energy he has spent trying to widen the Democratic Party's appeal when he is not officially a Democrat. General question: if people like Keith Ellison were to take over the party and move it leftward, would Bernie join the party?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2017, 07:48:18 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

I think it has a lot to do with Sanders avoiding or at least not going out of his way to talk about the third rail issues du jour which really make people angry and partisan, which are almost entirely culture-related.

This logic is literally sociopathic. I pay for services I will never use because I care about the health of the community I live in and the nation I'm a part of. Should urban taxpayers let rural areas wither and die because relatively few people use rural services? Actually, come to think of it an ex of mine did argue in favour of this point...
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »

People have tried explaining it to center-right neoliberals like you before. I gave up a while ago trying to explain it because you're just impermeable to reason. If you had things your way, the Democratic Party would be fully conservative, just not to the extent of Republicans.

Bernie is fundamentally an honest man. Not to mention he's stuck to his ideals for decades, unlike Queen Hillary, who changed her position almost as frequently as my sister changes her clothes. He refused to take money from major donors and corporations. His idea for healthcare is not far removed from FDR's platform, smae with his ideas on Wall Street, which are supposed to be Democratic ideals.

If you can't wrap your head around that, then you are beyond hope.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »

1. He was running against Hillary. That was his biggest appeal

2. I suppose he's against neoliberalism, and he gives off the vibe of a library nerd who somehow fell through a vortex and landed in politics, even though he's been in it nearly his whole life.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies