Favorite European liberal party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:14:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite European liberal party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What is your favorite European liberal party?
Free Democratic (Germany)

La République en Marche! (France)

Liberal Democratic (UK)

Citizens (Spain)

NEOS (Austria)

Party for Freedom and Democracy (The Netherlands)

Democrats 66 (The Netherlands)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Favorite European liberal party  (Read 949 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »

Of course Danish Venstre were historically also an agrarian party (and they are still the farmers' party, like the CDA in the Netherlands), but they have a liberal profile that KESK simply do not have, if I am not mistaken. I think in terms of preferred policies the National Coalition Party are very close to Danish Venstre, the VVD and Cameronite Tories, and they would have been my second preference after Danish Venstre had they been included in this poll (but that is rightly not the case as they are no liberals).

Added MR and Open Vld to my post. MR is quite good in the awful hellscape that is Walloon politics; I have a less high opinion of Open Vld.

Oh I know they have a reputation for being liberal, but from what I've seen (correct me if I'm wrong of course), KOK seems to be both more socially and economically (in the European sense of course) than KESK, so other than for historical reasons it seems a bit odd to me, but afterwards I'm no expert on Scandinavian politics.

Yep, and MR will probably end up being the big tent right wing party in Wallonia, as the CdH (ex-PSC) have been falling apart for a while now. Unlike in Flanders where you arguably have three more or less mainstream right of centre parties (NVA, CD&V and Open VLD; off subject but being a French speaker with strong personal ties to Wallonia, even if they're probably in terms of most policies the party I'd agree with most, I could not support NVA due to their Separatism, so I'd support CD&V). Previously I would have been a PSC supporter in Wallonia but I'd have switched to the MR after the PSC's name change to CdH and their shift to the left, and the PP Never managed to take off so if you're right of centre in Wallonia there aren't many choices other than MR. I love Wallonia but at anyrate their politics are terrible.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 11:24:31 AM »

Regarding the Finnish parties, it's telling that when gay marriage was passed in the parliament a few years ago, 30 of the 36 Centre MPs voted against it. NCP's MPs voted mostly in favour.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »

Regarding the Finnish parties, it's telling that when gay marriage was passed in the parliament a few years ago, 30 of the 36 Centre MPs voted against it. NCP's MPs voted mostly in favour.

Absolutely, that's what I was getting to when I said NCP was more liberal than Centre
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »

FDP
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies