College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:18:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30
Author Topic: College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread  (Read 31316 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: November 29, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »

USC
UCF
Fau
Oklahoma
Auburn
Fresno State
Clemson
Wisconsin
Army
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #551 on: November 29, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »

December 1

PAC-12 Championship Game (in Santa Clara, California)

Stanford at USC

December 2

AAC Championship Game
Memphis at UCF

Conference USA Championship Game

North Texas at Florida Atlantic

Big Twelve Championship Game (in Arlington, Texas)

TCU at Oklahoma

SEC Championship Game (in Atlanta)

Georgia at Auburn

Mountain West Championship Game

Fresno State at Boise State

ACC Championship Game (in Charlotte)

Miami(FL) at Clemson

Big Ten Championship Game (in Indianapolis)

Ohio State at Wisconsin

December 9

Army at Navy (in Philadelphia)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #552 on: November 29, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »

I want TCU and Ohio State to win because it probably means Alabama gets in, the world melts down, and we'll get an 8-team playoff faster.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #553 on: November 29, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »

8-team playoff makes no sense. There are never 8 teams who could legitimately be considered in contention for being the best team in the country. Often, there aren't even 4 teams who meet that description.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #554 on: November 29, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »

Stanford at USC

Memphis at UCF

North Texas at Florida Atlantic

TCU at Oklahoma

Georgia at Auburn

Fresno State at Boise State

Miami(FL) at Clemson

Ohio State at Wisconsin

Army at Navy

Home teams roll. I'll be rooting for Wisky, Auburn, Miami, and Oklahoma for an orderly playoff without Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson.

-I just don't see how Georgia scores enough on Auburn to win. Auburn's defensive line is their biggest strength and they showed very well that they outclass Georgia's offensive line. I see no reason the Auburn defense won't bottle up Georgia's only offensive weapons again this game and I don't trust Jake Fromm to win the game on his lonesome for Georgia. Kerryon Johnson might be out, but even if he is Stidham is more than good enough to make up some of that through the air. Easy Auburn win.

-Take the over in UCF/Memphis, whatever that over may be.

-Clemson-Miami will be an interesting one. Clemson's offense is secretly not great and Miami's defense against them will be a really interesting matchup...but then there's the other side of the ball. I don't see how Miami scores a bunch on the Clemson defense unless Malik Rosier has a perfect JT-Barrett-at-Penn-State kind of game. If Miami DOES win, it's on the turnover chain and good field position from 3-and-outs.

-I don't see what Stanford or TCU will have done to change much from their prior matchups with USC and Oklahoma. But USC and Oklahoma both depend so much on their QB that I suppose a bad game from Darnold or Mayfield could change things.

-Wisconsin is my upset pick because I don't like Ohio State, they've been wildly inconsistent while Wisky has been VERY consistent, and it makes the playoff discussion much easier.

BONUS PICK: FSU rolls ULM to get to our 36th consecutive bowl!!! Take ULM in that game though; the spread last I saw was 21 and FSU doesn't score fast enough (especially since ULM can put up some points) to make covering the spread seem likely. Unfortunately, this does help Alabama.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #555 on: November 29, 2017, 01:34:03 PM »

8-team playoff makes no sense. There are never 8 teams who could legitimately be considered in contention for being the best team in the country. Often, there aren't even 4 teams who meet that description.

I agree. Additionally, this year an 8 team playoff would probably mean that Clemson, Auburn, and Oklahoma would be in the playoff even if they lost their championship game. What is the point of the championships if that would be the case?

Also, even with eight teams undefeated UCF would still be nowhere near a playoff berth. Life is unfair for the G5.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #556 on: November 29, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2017, 02:03:10 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I agree. Additionally, this year an 8 team playoff would probably mean that Clemson, Auburn, and Oklahoma would be in the playoff even if they lost their championship game. What is the point of the championships if that would be the case?

Also, even with eight teams undefeated UCF would still be nowhere near a playoff berth. Life is unfair for the G5.

If you flipflop Miami and Penn State  (as Massey ranks the top 8), any of the top 8 teams could be relatively evenly matched this year - quite the rarity! But agree on the point of championship weekend - at least under the current format. Unless we switch to an FCS format with representation across the leagues, which hasn't really proven to have many upsets a lower seeded teams making a claim to titles

Since 2008 seeding format, Richmond is the only champion ranked outside the top 5 and would be comparable to Mississippi State or LSU being crowned after a massive string of upsets.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #557 on: November 29, 2017, 08:55:30 PM »

So TCU and Ohio State both lost to OU and one of the Iowa teams, TCU lost to OU by 18 and Ohio State lost to OU by 15, oh by the way Ohio State was at home, TCU was at OU. Then we get to the Iowa losses, both were at the respective Iowa's, TCU lost by 7....Ohio State lost by 31 points. Oh yes but Ohio State is a big name school so they deserve to be ahead of TCU by 3 spots.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #558 on: December 01, 2017, 02:17:32 AM »

Schedule for Championship Week

December 1

PAC-12 Championship Game (in Santa Clara, California)

Stanford at USC - I got Stanford on this one, they've been on a hot streak

December 2

AAC Championship Game
Memphis at UCF - I think UCF is better but should be a closeish one

Conference USA Championship Game

North Texas at Florida Atlantic - rematch after a massive rout

Big Twelve Championship Game (in Arlington, Texas)

TCU at Oklahoma - honestly 50/50 on this but gotta go with my team!

SEC Championship Game (in Atlanta)

Georgia at Auburn - Auburn should be able to do it again

Mountain West Championship Game

Fresno State at Boise State - Also a rematch, will be interesting

ACC Championship Game (in Charlotte)

Miami(FL) at Clemson - Please prove me wrong again Miami

Big Ten Championship Game (in Indianapolis)

Ohio State at Wisconsin - finally a positive pick, tOSU is overrated.

December 9

Army at Navy (in Philadelphia) - Think Navy has it this year.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #559 on: December 01, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »

Jimbo really can't be considering leaving for Texas A&M, right? Florida State has to be a top-10 job in the nation, with the great facilities, top tier talent and a great program history. I get the personal issues angle, but I also think FSU gives him a much better shot at a national championship
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #560 on: December 01, 2017, 10:04:12 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 10:08:08 AM by Dereich »

Jimbo really can't be considering leaving for Texas A&M, right? Florida State has to be a top-10 job in the nation, with the great facilities, top tier talent and a great program history. I get the personal issues angle, but I also think FSU gives him a much better shot at a national championship

All true. But there are a few other things to consider:

1. Jimbo might just want a change of scenery. Not many coaches are long-term prospects and it's much more difficult to maintain a program than it is to sweep in and start fresh. By staying, Jimbo has to try to make radical changes while burdened by what he and his coaches have been doing and saying for years. Going somewhere new, tearing down someone else's system, and then building your own is something Jimbo has done before and probably likes doing.

2. Jimbo's burned some important bridges at FSU. The administration, the fan base, and most of the boosters are still behind him, of course. Even if his buyout wasn't ridiculous, there wouldn't be a serious risk to Jimbo's job this year or probably even next year. But Jimbo has made some enemies in the biggest boosters. He ALWAYS pushes for more; more money for himself and better facilities for the school. Since Jimbo has come FSU has put in new football locker rooms, new football dorms, new coaches offices, a new indoor practice facility, and led the push to renovate the areas around the stadium and refocus Tallahassee nightlife around it. But he's still asking for more and its rankling the big money men. He made multiple statements in press conferences this year saying essentially that the boosters are cheap and unwilling to invest in what he wants. What he wants is a new $100 million football only facility and he wants it NOW. From what I understand, it'll probably be made, but not for as much money and not for a few years. Conflict with the boosters and A&M oil money for new projects might be something he values highly.

3. He probably didn't want the A&M job, but he's been backed into a corner. Word is, he was actually looking for the Auburn job and was using the A&M opportunity to drum up offers. His wife is from Birmingham and because of custody issues and how he values time with his kids, he needs her to agree to move. Plus, Auburn can pay more and is still in a great recruiting spot. Because Gus didn't lose to Georgia or Auburn, it's likely Gus will be extended and will not be going to Arkansas. Now he's sort of left hanging with only A&M willing to pay.

4. If Jimbo stays, he HAS to fire his assistants. He's made it clear in the past that he really considers a lot of his assistants to be personal friends, and several stuck by him during his divorce instead of leaving for different jobs. Some people are putting that forward as a reason he might want to leave; he could take some of his assistants with him or at least not have to fire them himself.

Note: Jimbo's stalling has now cost FSU three of its top recruits this week and because of his antics most of us are now ready to see Jimbo move on. Apparently, FSU recruiting has been completely stopped for the last two weeks or so and I can't imagine the players are doing much practicing for the ULM game either.

One of the most frustrating things about Jimbo as a coach has been his yearly flirtations with other schools for raises while at the same time loudly praising the loyalty of his coaches and demanding the same from the fans. A booster at his weekly radio show brought up Jimbo's lack of loyalty yesterday and was forcibly removed. Jimbo says he'll be coaching the ULM game tomorrow, but I doubt it.

If and when Jimbo leaves, the top targets are Willie Taggart at Oregon and Justin Fuente at Virginia Tech, in that order. They've already started the screening and background check process in advance. Most of the fans want Taggart and expect to get him.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #561 on: December 01, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »

So Tennessee just fired its AD only 8 months in. Just remember, no matter how bad your program is, at least its not Tennessee bad.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #562 on: December 01, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »

So Tennessee just fired its AD only 8 months in. Just remember, no matter how bad your program is, at least its not Tennessee bad.

Does this make the rumored Leach hire more or less likely, I wonder. More likely if Leach asked for a new AD to hire him, so that the new guy isn't working with the old guy's coach; less likely if the boosters forced Currie out due to frustration with the hiring process. Regardless, this whole thing is a cluster and is horribly reflective of UT.

This is even more embarrassing than the will-he-wont-he Harbaugh saga at UM, except UM got it's man and UT is just a dumpster fire.

Also, thanks for taking the time to write about Fisher. A lot to unpack there and some really good info. The recruiting must be infinitely frustrating as a fan, considering the three guys who left were all pretty well thought of. The UA angle is a really good one that I hadn't thought of. Jimbo really must've been banking on Arky landing Gus...

I also really feel for Oregon if FSU snags Taggart. They would have barely missed out on a reunion with Chip Kelly and would be pushed into an awful cycle for hiring a new coach. Wouldn't surprise me to see them target Brohm if Taggart leaves. Brohm would be a great cultural fit for Oregon with his offensive skills.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #563 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 11:31:07 AM by Dereich »

Does this make the rumored Leach hire more or less likely, I wonder. More likely if Leach asked for a new AD to hire him, so that the new guy isn't working with the old guy's coach; less likely if the boosters forced Currie out due to frustration with the hiring process. Regardless, this whole thing is a cluster and is horribly reflective of UT.

This is even more embarrassing than the will-he-wont-he Harbaugh saga at UM, except UM got it's man and UT is just a dumpster fire.

Also, thanks for taking the time to write about Fisher. A lot to unpack there and some really good info. The recruiting must be infinitely frustrating as a fan, considering the three guys who left were all pretty well thought of. The UA angle is a really good one that I hadn't thought of. Jimbo really must've been banking on Arky landing Gus...

I also really feel for Oregon if FSU snags Taggart. They would have barely missed out on a reunion with Chip Kelly and would be pushed into an awful cycle for hiring a new coach. Wouldn't surprise me to see them target Brohm if Taggart leaves. Brohm would be a great cultural fit for Oregon with his offensive skills.

Oregon currently has its best recruiting class ever. With early signing day a month away, even with a new coach Taggart would leave Oregon better than he found it.

According to some of the biggest names in the business, Curry was going rogue to finalize the deal with Leach and was fired to stop that deal. Tennessee football has gone 100% Game of Thrones, with the Haslams, Curry, Phil Fulmer, and Beverly Davenport as your players all trying to secretly off each other. Since those powerbrokers who got Curry fired were apparently the ones pushing for Schiano and Doeren, it seems unlikely that Tennessee looks for someone fun like Leach. It's a shame; I would have liked to see him shake up the SEC.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #564 on: December 01, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »

Brett McMurphy says Currie was prepared to offer the coaching job to Mike Leach. He was stopped by Phillip Fulmer and co. Says Fulmer is angling to replace him as AD.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #565 on: December 01, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »

FSU Twitter slowly devolves into madness as everyone begins focusing on whether Jimbo just threw away his Christmas tree or not. Thanks for keeping everyone distracted Tennessee!
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #566 on: December 01, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »

Leach would have been an ace hire after all of the Schiano madness. Boosters pushing out an AD over a good hire like that, after fans essentially vetoed another coach is going to make it really hard to find a quality coach who'll put up with this crap. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tennessee just drop the interim tag from Brady "clapclapclap" Hoke.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #567 on: December 01, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »

Leach would have been an ace hire after all of the Schiano madness. Boosters pushing out an AD over a good hire like that, after fans essentially vetoed another coach is going to make it really hard to find a quality coach who'll put up with this crap. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tennessee just drop the interim tag from Brady "clapclapclap" Hoke.

I definitely agree that they should hire Mike Leach. I also think Lane Kiffin would be a good hire. But there’s no way he’s going back to Tennessee.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #568 on: December 01, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 01:31:48 PM by Dereich »

Jimbo out! Beloved assistant/D Line coach Odell Haggins will be interim for tomorrow.

Thanks for the memories CJF.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #569 on: December 01, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 03:10:25 PM by Alabama_Indy10 »

Dereich beat me to it but here’s an article. Another article says A&M offered him a 10 year deal worth 7.5 Million annually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/898018001
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #570 on: December 01, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 03:14:09 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Jimbo out! Beloved assistant/D Line coach Odell Haggins will be interim for tomorrow.

I knew it!!!

If I'm FSU, I'd chase someone like Mark Stoops (Head Coach, Kentucky), Gus Malzahn (Head Coach, Auburn), Ed Orgeron (Head Coach, LSU) and Dabo Swinney (Head Coach, Clemson)
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #571 on: December 01, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »

Apparently Fullmer will be named AD this afternoon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/936670257493790720
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #572 on: December 01, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 03:35:41 PM by Dereich »

I knew it!!!

If I'm FSU, I'd chase someone like Mark Stoops (Head Coach, Kentucky), Gus Malzahn (Head Coach, Auburn), Ed Orgeron (Head Coach, LSU) and Dabo Swinney (Head Coach, Clemson)

Let's go down the list:

Mark Stoops: No. He Hasn't done well enough at Kentucky, especially for a destination program like FSU. Stoops has barely avoided the hot seat for the last few years and has barely eked out bowl seasons in the worst division in the P5. Stoops has maybe done well enough to move up, but not well enough to move THAT far up. This is the most realistic name on your list and would probably be the 6th or 7th person on the FSU list, when the administration was starting to get desperate. 

Gus Malzahn: Gus has no ties to Florida, is at a destination job, and is due for an extension and raise at Auburn. If he decided to leave and didn't want to go home to Arkansas he'd probably be looked at, but he's not good enough to get in a massive bidding war over or to be made THE #1 priority.

Ed Orgeron: LaughingChildren.jpg  NEVER. Oregeron was a failure at Ole Miss, is at another of the top-10 programs in the country, lost to TROY this year despite amazing talent, and is at his dream job. Even if he was for sure a good coach, he wouldn't be targeted as he wouldn't want to leave.

Dabo Swinney: Lateral transfer. Dabo is already paid $6 million a year and is beloved by Clemson. Nobody but Bama could pry him away, and that wouldn't come cheap even for them.

My guess is that the list would be something like this in this order:

Taggart
Fuente
Franklin or Frost (apparently they've extended feelers to both. Put them together since its so unlikely)
Campbell
Babers
Brahm
Sumlin

Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #573 on: December 01, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »

I knew it!!!

I’m not a fan of your list either. It’s like you named just random names. I think they’ll focus their search on Willie Taggert. Dark horse selection could be Lane Kiffin or Jeremy Pruitt.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #574 on: December 01, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »

Taggart
Fuente
Franklin or Frost (apparently they've extended feelers to both. Put them together since its so unlikely)
Campbell
Babers
Brahm
Sumlin

Of these, I would put the best odds on the first two (obviously).

Willie Taggart has more Florida ties than Oregon ties, but then again with Oregon's Nike money, they can afford to get in a bidding war.

Fuente is who I'd put my money on, but VT is a good gig. The program has some good traditions and a winning culture, but it's less of a pressure cooker than the FSU job.

Franklin won't leave PSU and Frost to Nebraska is as good as done, according to most insiders.

I hate to admit it, but I'm not familiar with Campbell, so skip!

Babers is building something at Syracuse, but I don't think FSU needs to roll the dice on a hire that could pretty easily flame out. Same with Brohm, honestly. Plus a lot of folks connected with Brohm insist that the only job he'll leave Purdue for is Louisville.

I'd be shocked if Sumlin just traded places with Jimbo. He's a pretty clear downgrade in coaching ability and 'crootin.

Taggart and Fuente have to be the clear frontrunners, but there might be a dark horse (Neal Brown has done some good stuff at Troy and has more of a record than Brohm or Babers, for instance. Chad Morris at SMU is always a hot commodity and Memphis's Mike Norvell can likely make the leap to a bigger program).
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies