College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:06:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30
Author Topic: College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread  (Read 31055 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »

God I wish I was wrong about this FSU team. Making a bowl is actually going to be a challenge.

EDIT: and somehow it gets worse on the very last play. Our backup QB might be out.

Jimbo is on the hot seat now. Even if he doesn't get fired this season, a slow start next season means he's gone. In any event, they're almost certainly not making a bowl this season barring an upset, as they still have to play both Clemson and Florida, and the way they are playing both those games mean those will be losses.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2017, 02:49:47 PM by Dereich »

God I wish I was wrong about this FSU team. Making a bowl is actually going to be a challenge.

EDIT: and somehow it gets worse on the very last play. Our backup QB might be out.

Jimbo is on the hot seat now. Even if he doesn't get fired this season, a slow start next season means he's gone. In any event, they're almost certainly not making a bowl this season barring an upset, as they still have to play both Clemson and Florida, and the way they are playing both those games mean those will be losses.

FIRING JIMBO BANKRUPTS THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. ITS 40 MILLION DOLLARS. HE LITERALLY CANNOT BE FIRED FOR YEARS WITHOUT RUINING THE SCHOOL.

Reading the rest of your post, FSU will still beat Florida who is playing even WORSE than FSU is. Missing a bowl is still very unlikely.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »

For goodness sakes, this has nothing to do with an error in coaching and a very minor one, if any, in recruiting! Jimbo would instantly become the most coveted coach across the south and likely an even broader terrain. A bad season decimated by injuries is no grounds for firing a college coach who is the face of the program!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »

For goodness sakes, this has nothing to do with an error in coaching and a very minor one, if any, in recruiting! Jimbo would instantly become the most coveted coach across the south and likely an even broader terrain. A bad season decimated by injuries is no grounds for firing a college coach who is the face of the program!

If this was a smaller program, I'd get the argument. But failure really isn't an option at programs like Florida State. Coaches have been fired there for less (look at Charlie Strong at Texas for example).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »

If this was a smaller program, I'd get the argument. But failure really isn't an option at programs like Florida State. Coaches have been fired there for less (look at Charlie Strong at Texas for example).

You go and ask the boosters for $40m to fire the coach (and then whatever it takes to hire a new one of that caliber...) after one bad season.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »

A coach who had three consecutive losing seasons to start a career versus a coach coming off a national championship with an .800 winning percentage, who lost his QB, is developing a top freshman, and is playing in the toughest division in football. Hmmm
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2017, 11:50:42 AM by NewYorkExpress »

Scores for week eight will be posted by myself or DFW tomorrow. In the meantime, here is the Schedule for Week Nine.

October 26

South Alabama at Georgia State

Stanford at Oregon State

October 27

Tulane at Memphis

Florida State at Boston College

October 28

Buffalo at Akron

Wisconsin at Illinois

Oklahoma State at West Virginia

Rutgers at Michigan

Arkansas at Mississippi

Louisville at Wake Forest

Virginia at Pittsburgh

California at Colorado

Florida International at Marshall

Kansas State at Kansas

Air Force at Colorado State

Penn State at Ohio State

Georgia at Florida (in Jacksonville)

TCU at Iowa State

UCLA at Washington

NC State at Notre Dame

Michigan State at Northwestern

Indiana at Maryland

Houston at South Florida

Vanderbilt at South Carolina

Florida Atlantic at Western Kentucky

Utah at Oregon

Minnesota at Iowa

UAB at Southern Mississippi

Mississippi State at Texas A&M

Duke at Virginia Tech

Nebraska at Purdue

New Mexico at Wyoming

Tennessee at Kentucky

Georgia Tech at Clemson

Texas Tech at Oklahoma

Washington State at Arizona

USC at Arizona State

San Diego State at Hawai'i
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »

Should note updates to the spreadsheet will be suspended until late tonight, I'm going to TCU-Kansas!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »

Should note updates to the spreadsheet will be suspended until late tonight, I'm going to TCU-Kansas!

I didn't put that on the schedule because TCU's a mortal lock...but stranger things have happened...
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2017, 11:53:07 PM »

Consider a Penn State-Notre Dame championship.

Really think about it; two of the most toxic, divisive, and scandal ridden programs in recent College Football facing off for the crown with no heroes to root for. Think about how much it'd fit in the Age of Trump. That doomsday scenario grows more likely by the week.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2017, 12:16:14 AM »

Consider a Penn State-Notre Dame championship.

Really think about it; two of the most toxic, divisive, and scandal ridden programs in recent College Football facing off for the crown with no heroes to root for. Think about how much it'd fit in the Age of Trump. That doomsday scenario grows more likely by the week.

Notre Dame still has to beat both NC State, Miami(FL), Stanford and Navy. Odds are they're not going to win all of them.

Penn State still has to beat Ohio State, Michigan State and win the Big Ten Championship, likely against Wisconsin. Odds are they will lose one of those three games.. but they're in a better position to reach the playoff than Notre Dame, who already have a loss.

If I had to pick the four playoff teams today with future results projected, I think they'd be Alabama as the one seed (winning the SEC), Penn State/Ohio State as the two seed (depending on who wins that game...they become favorites in the big ten and should beat Wisconsin), Clemson/Miami (FL) as the three seed (whichever of these teams wins the ACC should make the playoff should get in) and TCU as the four seed (assuming TCU defeats Oklahoma here and in the Big Twelve Title Game, the Horned Frogs should sneak into the playoffs, and might even get a higher seed then the Big Ten and ACC champion). As for the title game, it'll probably be Alabama vs Clemson/Miami (FL)/TCU.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #261 on: October 22, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »

Scores after Week Eight

Progressive Democrat 140 Wins

Dereich 136 Wins

Illiniwek 135 Wins

Extreme Republican 133 Wins

Sprouts Famers Market 132 Wins

Alabama_Indy 128 Wins

Santander 127 Wins

RINO Tom 127 Wins

NYE 126 Wins

JGibson 119 Wins

Ltomlinson 114 Wins

Dfwlibertylover 104 Wins

Tmfthforu 96 Wins

SJoyce 93 Wins

Birch Bayh 2020 89 Wins

Sunrise Around the World 77 Wins

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2017, 09:19:17 PM by NewYorkExpress »

South Alabama (I'm just guessing, as both teams have lost to the only quality opponents they've played...but the Sun Belt can be prone to wild swings)

Stanford (does anyone really think a horrible Oregon State squad will win, even at home?)

Memphis (The Green Wave have a victory over Army this season...but Memphis is also a strong squad, and should be the favorites here)

Florida State (Yes, the Seminoles may be down to their third string QB...but their Defense is much stronger then BC's offense)

Akron (Don't be shocked if the Zips win the MAC)

Wisconsin (I'll be stunned if the Badgers don't win the Big Ten West)

Oklahoma State (This will be another test of if the Big Twelve can play Defense...I don't expect them to pass...expect a shootout in Morgantown)

Michigan (This will be a blowout from an a Wolverines team angry with the loss, and facing a not very good Rutgers squad)

Mississippi (Both teams look awful, but Ole Miss looks just a bit better)

Louisville (Wake Forest has no answer for Lamar Jackson)

Virginia (Pitt simply has not played well this year)

California (I no longer have faith in Colorado)

Marshall (The Thundering Herd did almost beat NC State... I'll be very surprised if they don't win Conference USA)

Colorado State (The Rams have a roughly even money shot of advancing to the Mountain West title game)

Ohio State (This will be an epic duel between JT Barrett and Saqoun Barkley, and while both will get their scores, the Buckeyes are a more complete team, in my opinion)

Georgia (After this game the Gators should rebound and win two of their next three (Missouri, UAB, South Carolina), before the big showdown with Florida State, which is at worst a tossup given how the Seminoles are playing...Georgia on the other hand is going to the SEC Championship Game, barring losses to Auburn and Kentucky).

Iowa State (If Iowa State can beat Oklahoma in Norman, they can beat TCU at home...all won't be lost for the Horned Frogs though. They'll share a common loss with Oklahoma, and if they beat the Sooners twice (In Norman on November 11, and in the Big Twelve Championship Game), they'll have a reasonable case for a playoff spot anyways.

Kansas State (Kansas has been dreadful this season)

Washington (Josh Rosen will get his yards and scores, but the Huskies are the better team)

Notre Dame (NC State's been on almost a fairytale ride, but their playoff dream ends here. I can't bet against the Fighting Irish at home)

Northwestern (Trap Game for Michigan State...they'll be caught looking ahead to Penn State)

Maryland (neither team is particularly good, but the Terrapins do have a signature win over Texas)

South Florida (Looks like South Florida will be headed to a New Year's Six Bowl)

South Carolina (Vanderbilt has fallen off a cliff lately)

Western Kentucky (Making this pick based on preseason expectations)

Oregon (It's really hard to bet against the Ducks in Eugene, especially as Utah isn't that much better a squad)

Iowa (Neither team is playing well, but the Hawkeyes are at home)

Southern Mississippi (UAB is having a very good first season back after being shut down after the 2014 season, but they won't win this game)

Texas A&M (This will be a competitive game, however Kevin Sumlin is a better coach than Dan Mullen)

Virginia Tech (Don't get wrong, Duke is a decent squad...however Virginia Tech is much better)

Purdue (The home team often has the edge in College Football, and this is no exception)

Wyoming (Just a guess)

Kentucky (The Wildcats are still alive in the SEC East race, but they need this win to keep pace with Georgia (and avoid falling behind South Carolina and Florida). I think they get it.)

Clemson (Yes, the Triple Option is hard to defend, but Clemson really can't afford another loss, and I don't think they lose this one)

Oklahoma (Texas Tech is good, but I don't know how they stop Baker Mayfield)

Washington State (The Cougars can't afford a loss now, and I find it hard to believe they'll lose to Arizona, whose worse than Cal)

USC (Arizona State did beat Washington, but Sam Darnold is arguably a better Quarterback than Jake Browning, if a bit more inconsistent)

San Diego State (Hawai'i will put up a fight, but the Rainbow Warriors aren't in the Aztecs league).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2017, 04:01:33 PM by Santander »

October 26

South Alabama
at Georgia State

Stanford
at Oregon State

October 27

Tulane at Memphis

October 28

Buffalo at Akron

Wisconsin
at Illinois

Rutgers at Michigan

Arkansas at Mississippi

Louisville
at Wake Forest

Virginia at Pittsburgh

California at Colorado

Kansas State
at Kansas

Penn State
at Ohio State

TCU at Iowa State

UCLA at Washington

NC State at Notre Dame

Michigan State
at Northwestern

Indiana at Maryland

Houston at South Florida

Utah at Oregon

Minnesota at Iowa

Duke at Virginia Tech

Nebraska at Purdue

New Mexico at Wyoming

Tennessee at Kentucky

Georgia Tech at Clemson

Texas Tech at Oklahoma

USC at Arizona State

San Diego State
at Hawai'i
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »

I feel very dumb for having picked USC because from the get-go, I was pro-Irish, but I guess that's what I guess for copying Santander's picks as my template while traveling Tongue

October 26

Stanford at Oregon State

October 27

Tulane at Memphis

October 28

Buffalo at Akron

Wisconsin at Illinois

Rutgers at Michigan

Arkansas at Mississippi

Louisville at Wake Forest

Virginia at Pittsburgh

California at Colorado

Kansas State at Kansas

Penn State at Ohio State

TCU at Iowa State

UCLA at Washington

NC State at Notre Dame - I have no doubt that the Irish beat Miami and will watch a little more to evaluate Stanford, but this is undoubtedly their toughest remaining battle.

Michigan State at Northwestern

Indiana at Maryland

Houston at South Florida

Utah at Oregon

Minnesota at Iowa

Duke at Virginia Tech

Nebraska at Purdue

New Mexico at Wyoming

Tennessee at Kentucky

Georgia Tech at Clemson

Texas Tech at Oklahoma

USC at Arizona State

San Diego State
at Hawai'i
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »

Washington State (The Cougars can't afford a loss now, and I find it hard to believe they'll lose to Arizona, whose worse than Cal)
Arizona beat Cal literally last night, has a better record, and plays in a tougher division... but they're somehow worse than Cal?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2017, 09:29:35 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Arizona beat Cal literally last night, has a better record, and plays in a tougher division... but they're somehow worse than Cal?

Cal had three ranked teams in it's division as of this week (Washington, Wazzu, Stanford), while Arizona's division had only one (USC). As for Cal's loss, there's no excuse for that.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21128125/jim-mcelwain-florida-gators-coach-says-family-players-receiving-death-threats

Apparently with Florida's slow start, head coach Jim McElwain has been getting hate mail and death threats from fans. Their likely loss to Georgia, a key rivalry game, this week, won't help that.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2017, 05:33:40 PM »

Schedule for Week Nine.

October 26

South Alabama at Georgia State - gut feeling, odds are very close

Stanford at Oregon State - This would be a fun upset but nah

October 27

Tulane at Memphis - Memphis keeps up its slow climb up the top 25

Florida State at Boston College - dont let me down anymore FSU

October 28

Buffalo at Akron - lets hope for another giant OT battle

Wisconsin at Illinois - lol, if wisconsin somehow loses this Penn State is secured

Oklahoma State at West Virginia - mainly going off how both played against TCU and what I saw

Rutgers at Michigan - Michigan wants to be on the comeback

Arkansas at Mississippi - Surely Arkansas will win at least one in conference game

Louisville
at Wake Forest - one person will carry Louisville to victory, again

Virginia at Pittsburgh - Pitt is ok I guess but Virginia will win

California at Colorado
- This could actually be competitive
Florida International at Marshall - lol

Kansas State at Kansas - could be closer than expected tbh

Air Force at Colorado State - watch for another magical comeback win

Penn State at Ohio State - tbh I think Ohio State is overrated

Georgia at Florida (in Jacksonville) - Georgia continues its ride to the SEC East title

TCU at Iowa State - Cheesy

UCLA at Washington - This would be another fun upset but I don't think Rosen has it in him

NC State at Notre Dame - I hate the fighting irish, but.....

Michigan State
at Northwestern - I don't think Michigan State is overrated

Indiana at Maryland - oof

Houston at South Florida - I think South Florida comes off with a narrow win.

Vanderbilt at South Carolina - Vandy, Sad!

Florida Atlantic at Western Kentucky - Kiffin keeps going?

Utah at Oregon - mainly because Oregon is at home

Minnesota at Iowa - Iowa is slacking

UAB at Southern Mississippi - I don't know a ton about this one

Mississippi State at Texas A&M - Fun fact: A&M is now ranked on the Coaches poll

Duke at Virginia Tech - Virginia tech is still decent

Nebraska at Purdue - This will be close and not in a good way

New Mexico at Wyoming - Wyoming has been doing well

Tennessee at Kentucky - RIP Butch

Georgia Tech at Clemson - hoping for the upset but I don't see it this week

Texas Tech at Oklahoma - eh kind of a wishcasting guess but I think Texas Tech shocks

Washington State at Arizona - effectively ending Wazzu hype for good

USC at Arizona State
- and sending USC off the top 25 charts
San Diego State at Hawai'i - sorry Hawaii love you but
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »

Wisconsin at Illinois - lol, if wisconsin somehow loses this Penn State is secured

Penn State is on the other side of the division, so this does nothing really, if they lose to WI somehow it destroys them anyways. Personally I think WI will lose to MI and then either PS or Ohio in the Big 10 title game so meh, loved to be proved wrong.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »

Penn State is on the other side of the division, so this does nothing really, if they lose to WI somehow it destroys them anyways. Personally I think WI will lose to MI and then either PS or Ohio in the Big 10 title game so meh, loved to be proved wrong.
It means Penn State has nothing to worry about in the Big 10 Championship game Tongue
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2017, 08:18:32 PM »

Stanford at Oregon State

October 27
Tulane at Memphis

October 28

Buffalo at Akron