College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:12:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 30
Author Topic: College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread  (Read 30875 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: November 18, 2017, 12:52:14 AM »

The point is that they still wouldn't have the necessary wins under such a set of circumstances, but ok
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #451 on: November 18, 2017, 01:08:06 AM »

The point is that they still wouldn't have the necessary wins under such a set of circumstances, but ok

And my point is staying unbeaten should be rewarded no matter who you are, or who you've beaten.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #452 on: November 18, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »

Scores for week twelve will be posted tomorrow, but in the meantime, here is Schedule for Week Thirteen

November 23

Mississippi at Mississippi State

November 24

Northern Illinois at Central Michigan

Western Michigan at Toledo

Miami(FL) at Pittsburgh

Navy at Houston

Ohio at Buffalo

South Florida at UCF

Iowa at Nebraska

Virginia Tech at Virginia

Texas Tech at Texas

November 25

Alabama at Auburn

West Virginia at Oklahoma

Wisconsin at Minnesota

Georgia at Georgia Tech

Notre Dame at Stanford

Penn State at Maryland

Washington State at Washington

Michigan State at Rutgers

Northwestern at Illinois

Arizona at Arizona State

Colorado at Utah

Iowa State at Kansas State

Tulane at SMU

Ohio State at Michigan

Indiana at Purdue

Louisville at Kentucky

Florida State at Florida

Boston College at Syracuse

Duke at Wake Forest

Appalachian State at Georgia State

Southern Mississippi at Marshall

Old Dominion at Middle Tennessee

Arkansas State at Louisiana Monroe

North Carolina at NC State

Boise State at Fresno State

Vanderbilt at Tennessee

Oregon State at Oregon

Clemson at South Carolina

Texas A&M at LSU

UT San Antonio at Louisiana Tech

BYU at Hawaii

Air Force at Utah State
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #453 on: November 18, 2017, 03:49:38 PM »

And my point is staying unbeaten should be rewarded no matter who you are, or who you've beaten.

So using your logic, what's keeping an independent like BYU or Notre Dame from scheduling really bad teams every game of the season? They could easily have "muh undefeated record." Would they be worthy of getting into the playoff?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #454 on: November 18, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »

So using your logic, what's keeping an independent like BYU or Notre Dame from scheduling really bad teams every game of the season? They could easily have "muh undefeated record." Would they be worthy of getting into the playoff?

If they won all those games, yes. But pride would prevent Notre Dame from doing that, and someone is going to be willing to play BYU, if only to fill a hole on it's own schedule.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #455 on: November 18, 2017, 06:28:29 PM »

If they won all those games, yes. But pride would prevent Notre Dame from doing that, and someone is going to be willing to play BYU, if only to fill a hole on it's own schedule.

So you would support an undefeated team with a schedule full of cupcakes over a 1 loss major conference champion?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #456 on: November 18, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »

So you would support an undefeated team with a schedule full of cupcakes over a 1 loss major conference champion?

In almost every circumstance yes. There's a thing called the eye test too. If the one loss champion struggled all season, (Wisconsin for example), they don't deserve to get in.

Also, I wouldn't call UCF's next two games...against USF, and against Memphis in AAC Championship game cupcakes. Both teams only have one loss.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #457 on: November 18, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »

In almost every circumstance yes. There's a thing called the eye test too. If the one loss champion struggled all season, (Wisconsin for example), they don't deserve to get in.

Also, I wouldn't call UCF's next two games...against USF, and against Memphis in AAC Championship game cupcakes. Both teams only have one loss.

They don't pass the eye test, they haven't played anyone. They are worse than last years Western Michigan squad. I would totally leave them out, give them a top tear non-playoff bowl and let them get slapped down by some better conference team.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #458 on: November 18, 2017, 11:48:47 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2017, 07:06:33 PM by WritOfCertiorari »

They don't pass the eye test, they haven't played anyone. They are worse than last years Western Michigan squad. I would totally leave them out, give them a top tear non-playoff bowl and let them get slapped down by some better conference team.
Western Michigan ended up losing in a close one to Wisconsin last year, but arguably they were better than Washington, who actually made it into the playoff.

Also, UCF did beat Navy, who lost 24-17 to #8 Notre Dame today. That alone probably passes the eye test, doesn't it?

I don't get how with 4 teams in the playoff, we still get undefeated teams left out. This is one of the top 2 or 3 reasons everyone wanted to get rid of the BCS anyway. Maybe we should just give up on the playoff system and let the Rose Bowl decide the champion like in the old days.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #459 on: November 18, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »

Western Michigan ended up beating Wisconsin last year, so arguably they were better than Washington, who actually made it into the playoff.

Also, UCF did beat Navy, who lost 24-17 to #8 Notre Dame today. That alone probably passes the eye test, doesn't it?

I don't get how with 4 teams in the playoff, we still get undefeated teams left out. This is one of the top 2 or 3 reasons everyone wanted to get rid of the BCS anyway. Maybe we should just give up on the playoff system and let the Rose Bowl decide the champion like in the old days.

So beating a team (Navy) who lost by 7 to a team (Notre Dame) who got beat by 33 by Miami automatically makes you one of the best 4 teams in the country? Makes a whole lot of sense doesn't it?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #460 on: November 19, 2017, 12:12:01 AM »

Western Michigan ended up beating Wisconsin last year, so arguably they were better than Washington, who actually made it into the playoff.

So beating a team (Navy) who lost by 7 to a team (Notre Dame) who got beat by 33 by Miami automatically makes you one of the best 4 teams in the country? Makes a whole lot of sense doesn't it?

It's worth noting that other than this week Miami(FL) has played well all season. Of course, if they lose to Clemson in the ACC Championship game, they're probably out of the playoff...

As for Western Michigan and Washington last year, it's worth remembering Washington played Alabama in the playoff semifinal. They didn't have a chance, and I wouldn't have expected Western Michigan to do better...however they certainly could have beaten Ohio State, had they replaced Washington, and the Committee decided on an Alabama/Clemson semifinal, based on their result against Wisconsin.

And I'm going to repeat the fact that neither South Florida or Memphis are cupcakes. Both only have one loss, and Memphis was ranked as of this week.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #461 on: November 19, 2017, 12:26:31 AM »

It's worth noting that other than this week Miami(FL) has played well all season. Of course, if they lose to Clemson in the ACC Championship game, they're probably out of the playoff...

As for Western Michigan and Washington last year, it's worth remembering Washington played Alabama in the playoff semifinal. They didn't have a chance, and I wouldn't have expected Western Michigan to do better...however they certainly could have beaten Ohio State, had they replaced Washington, and the Committee decided on an Alabama/Clemson semifinal, based on their result against Wisconsin.

And I'm going to repeat the fact that neither South Florida or Memphis are cupcakes. Both only have one loss, and Memphis was ranked as of this week.

I agree. South Florida and Memphis aren't cupcakes.. But even if UCF beats both of them (which I think is unlikely) they are still definitely not one of the best 4 teams in the country.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #462 on: November 19, 2017, 01:10:50 AM »

I’m not sure that’s the best way to look at things, because you start getting stupid stuff like LSU being better than Georgia this year because LSU beat Auburn and Auburn beat Georgia. Not to mention Troy. The transitive property doesn’t work in sports.

I think it’s a moot point, anyway, because UCF is likely going to lose to either USF or Memphis. However, if they win out, they should be in. They won’t be though, because the system is about money matchups.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #463 on: November 19, 2017, 01:18:54 AM »

I’m not sure that’s the best way to look at things, because you start getting stupid stuff like LSU being better than Georgia this year because LSU beat Auburn and Auburn beat Georgia. Not to mention Troy. The transitive property doesn’t work in sports.

I think it’s a moot point, anyway, because UCF is likely going to lose to either USF or Memphis. However, if they win out, they should be in. They won’t be though, because the system is about money matchups.

An unbeaten UCF is in over a PAC-12 champion that isn't USC, a Big Twelve champion that is neither Oklahoma or TCU (theoretically Iowa State can still make the Championship game), a one Miami (FL) (the ACC isn't going to get two teams in) or a two loss Notre Dame.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #464 on: November 19, 2017, 01:49:26 PM »

Scores after Week Twelve

Progressive Democrat 232 wins

Dereich 229 wins

Alabama_Indy 229 wins

Extreme Republican 229 wins

Illiniwek 229 wins

NYE 220 wins

Santander 218 wins

Smilo/Sprouts Farmers Market 218 wins

JGibson 205 wins

DFWlibertylover 201 wins

RINO Tom 200 wins

Jerome Powell I Guess/Birch Bayh 2020 178 wins
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #465 on: November 19, 2017, 01:53:37 PM »

An unbeaten UCF is in over a PAC-12 champion that isn't USC, a Big Twelve champion that is neither Oklahoma or TCU (theoretically Iowa State can still make the Championship game), a one Miami (FL) (the ACC isn't going to get two teams in) or a two loss Notre Dame.

Western Michigan beat Northwestern by 1 last year, they played a decent game against Wisconsin and lost. UCF needs to have actually beat someone to get in. They would lose by at least 21 to any top 10 team right now. They’re not good, everyone except you seems to know it, that’s why they will not even sniff a playoff spot.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #466 on: November 19, 2017, 02:21:23 PM »

November 23

Mississippi State

November 24

Northern Illinois 

Toledo

Miami(FL) 

Navy 

Buffalo

UCF

Iowa 

Virginia Tech 

Texas

November 25

Alabama

Oklahoma

Wisconsin 

Georgia

Stanford

Penn State

Washington

Michigan State 

Northwestern 

Arizona 

Colorado 

Iowa State 

Tulane 

Ohio State 

Purdue

Louisville 

Florida State

Boston College 

Wake Forest

Appalachian State

Marshall

Old Dominion 

Arkansas State 

NC State

Boise State

Tennessee

Oregon

Clemson

LSU

UT San Antonio

Hawaii

Utah State
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #467 on: November 19, 2017, 02:22:31 PM »

Jim Mora has been fired by UCLA

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21472304/ucla-bruins-fire-head-coach-jim-mora-six-seasons
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #468 on: November 19, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »

This is objectively false and tells me you have not watched any Miami games before VA Tech.  Miami played like ass against FSU, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, and North Carolina and are very VERY lucky to be undefeated. There was a very good reason they were underdogs at home against VA Tech and Notre Dame; the Virginia game is much more indicative of the season Miami has had than the ND or VA Tech games.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #469 on: November 19, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2017, 02:19:24 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Mississippi State (The Bulldogs easily win as the Egg Bowl returns to Thanksgiving.  While this is essentially Ole Miss's season (especially because they lost to LSU), they just aren't in the Bulldogs league)

Northern Illinois (Northern Illinois's win against Nebraska is better than Central Michigan's win against Kansas)

Toledo (Toledo locks up a spot in the MAC title game with their win)

Miami(FL) (Yes, the Hurricanes struggled at times against Virginia, and yes this could be a trap game heading into the ACC Championship Game against Clemson, but Pitt just isn't good enough for to make this game competitive. Given how Pitt has played this year, could Pat Narduzzi find his head on the chopping block?)

Navy (Houston has lost to both Tulane and Tulsa this season, which easily cancels out an impressive win over Arizona. Navy has no great wins, but has no embrassing losses either. Close call, but I think Navy's triple option takes it...and I've been wrong about them before, so I'll eat my crow later)

Buffalo (The Bobcats are one of the few teams who have beaten Lane Kiffiin this season, and they're at home. I like their chances to pull off the upset.)

South Florida (UCF's outside playoff shot ends, and the decision over which Group of Five team makes the New Years bowl just gets a little more chaotic  as Charlie Strong outduels Scott Frost as a coach. The one moment of pause I have is that UCF's wins over Maryland and Memphis are better than USF's wins over Illinois and that other than Illinois USF really hasn't played anybody...so it's really anyone's game here)

Iowa (Yes, Iowa lost to Purdue. However, Nebraska just isn't very good this year either, and Iowa should be favored)

Virginia Tech (Playing tough with Miami(FL) should be rewarded, but the Hokies are also a strong side, and probably will win this game)

Texas Tech (The Red Raiders need the win more than the Longhorns do)

Auburn (Let the SEC Chaos begin... Auburn wins the Iron Bowl and locks up a spot in the SEC Championship game by simply playing better defense than Alabama. However even winning the SEC Championship game probably won't get the Tigers in the playoff, as the committee would probably pick a one-loss Alabama or a one-loss Wisconsin (should they lose to Ohio State) over them.

West Virginia (This pick originally was Oklahoma, but Baker Mayfield's suspension changed that)

Wisconsin (The Badgers should win easily)

Georgia (As much as I'd like to pick Georgia Tech, because of the triple-option, the fact is Georgia is a much better team)

Stanford (Once again, Bryce Love dominates the game, and all but clinches the Heisman Trophy with another big win. If Stanford wins the PAC-12 this year and/or he has a big season next year...he could end up a top-ten choice in the NFL Draft in 2018/2019)

Penn State (Maryland isn't very good at all)

Washington (With the Pac-12 North no longer up for grabs, this game got a lot less interesting. With Jake Browning's skill as QB, I have to go with the Huskies)

Northwestern (Illinois is atrocious this year)

Arizona (Arizona is actually putting a good team on the field. Arizona State, by contrast is only putting out mediocrity)

Colorado (Utah has fallen off a cliff lately, with six losses in their last seven games. Will Kyle Wittingham get the sack?)

Iowa State (A team that beat Oklahoma in Norman, should be able to win this one)

SMU (Tulane isn't really very good)

Ohio State (Ohio State won't be going to the Rose Bowl, as that's a playoff game, but they keep their hopes of winning the Big Ten alive and well by winning in this highly charged rivalry, because JT Barrett is far better than any QB Michigan can put on the field)

Purdue (This is a tossup game for either side)

Florida State (The Seminoles, remarkably can still make a bowl game if they win both this game and their game against Louisiana Monroe next week (which apparently is the same week as the ACC Championship game...would have caused all sorts of conflict if Florida State had made it there). Florida technically cannot make a bowl (unless their API is high enough that they qualify as a 5-6 or 5-7 team). The Seminoles need this game more, and they arguably have more talent on both sides of the ball, so I think they win this one...and they should beat Louisiana Monroe next week)

Syracuse (As said so many times, Syracuse is a different team in the Carrier Dome)

Wake Forest (The Demon Deacons did just beat NC State)

Appalachian State

Marshall

Middle Tennessee

Louisiana Monroe

NC State (North Carolina has been abysmal this season)

Boise State (Could Boise State be the Group of Five Representative in the New Year's Bowls after all? They'd need to win the Mountain West, and have UCF, USF and Memphis all lose before or in the AAC Championship game (an almost impossible scenario)

Vanderbilt (Someone is getting their first SEC win. I think it's Vandy)

Oregon (The Civil War ends in a decisive Oregon victory)

Clemson (South Carolina is good, but they're no threat to Clemson)

LSU (The Tigers are better than Texas A&M...and I think we've proven Ed Ogereon is a better Coach than Kevin Sumlin)

Louisiana Tech

BYU

Air Force (Just try and stop the triple option)

Michigan State (This one's easy, and it's embarrassing that I almost forgot to pick it)

Louisville (I don't know how Kentucky stops Lamar Jackson)

Thanks DFW for reminding me to pick the Michigan State/Rutgers and Louisville/Kentucky games.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #470 on: November 19, 2017, 03:15:06 PM »

You have a likely #1 NFL draft pick and you don't become bowl-eligble...yeah you should be fired.

If I'm the UCLA AD, I'm looking at, Rocky Long (San Diego State Head Coach), Chip Kelly (Former Head Coach, Oregon/Philadelphia Eagles), Bryan Harsin (Head Coach, Boise State), Jeff Fisher (Former Head Coach, Los Angeles Rams) or Charlie Strong (Head Coach, USF)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #471 on: November 19, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »

This is objectively false and tells me you have not watched any Miami games before VA Tech.  Miami played like ass against FSU, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, and North Carolina and are very VERY lucky to be undefeated. There was a very good reason they were underdogs at home against VA Tech and Notre Dame; the Virginia game is much more indicative of the season Miami has had than the ND or VA Tech games.

I agree.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #472 on: November 19, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2017, 04:49:56 PM by Dereich »

Florida State (The Seminoles, remarkably can still make a bowl game if they win both this game and their game against Louisiana Monroe next week (which apparently is the same week as the ACC Championship game...would have caused all sorts of conflict if Florida State had made it there). Florida technically cannot make a bowl (unless their API is high enough that they qualify as a 5-6 or 5-7 team). The Seminoles need this game more, and they arguably have more talent on both sides of the ball, so I think they win this one...and they should beat Louisiana Monroe next week)

Florida's API is high enough to make a bowl at 5-6.

The FSU-Louisiana Monroe game was originally scheduled for week 2; it was cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. It wasn't rescheduled until FSU was mathematically eliminated from the ACC Championship so there would be no conflict with that game. Also, they only rescheduled it after the win over Syracuse; as FSU has to pay ULM to play, they didn't want to reschedule it unless re-adding it would be necessary for bowl eligibility. There was no coincidence in this move. FSU's bowl streak is the longest in the nation at 35 in a row and the game was rescheduled to maintain it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #473 on: November 20, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »

Baker Mayfield is SCUM!  I am so sick of the guy, first the disrespectful flag planting, and now he's injecting our televisions with filth.

No heisman for him.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #474 on: November 20, 2017, 09:31:10 PM »

Baker Mayfield is SCUM!  I am so sick of the guy, first the disrespectful flag planting, and now he's injecting our televisions with filth.

No heisman for him.

Personally, I think Bryce Love was already the favorite...and Mayfield could still finish third behind Saquon Barkley.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies