AL-Sen - George Will: The GOP has become the party of the groteque
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:00:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-Sen - George Will: The GOP has become the party of the groteque
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AL-Sen - George Will: The GOP has become the party of the groteque  (Read 1109 times)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »
« edited: August 06, 2017, 10:25:48 PM by PragmaticPopulist »

Wasn't sure if this thread fits into US General Discussion or Congressional Elections, so if someone thinks this doesn't go here, feel free to move it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-gop-has-become-the-party-of-the-grotesque/2017/08/04/53691eb4-7887-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.609aeed15613

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

At least the prospect of Roy Moore losing to a Democrat is now not just talk among political junkies on the internet.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:31:46 PM »

I'd personally support that Robert Kennedy Jr. guy. I believe he called himself fiscally conservative, and his social policies are better than Moore's.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 05:56:39 AM »

Roy Moore has won multiple statewide elections, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in this analysis about Alabama from a Washington elite.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:59:16 AM »

GOP avoided damage in 2016, but the quake will erupt in 2020, with the Dem trifecta with the defeated Trump.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:23:40 AM »

Roy Moore is the only candidate who won't make this competitive.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »

Roy Moore has won multiple statewide elections, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in this analysis about Alabama from a Washington elite.
True, but he only won by 3.5 points statewide in 2012, and that was before he got suspended the second time.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »

Roy Moore is the only candidate who won't make this competitive.
I honestly think he's the only one who allows the Democrat to have a shot.  Strange will be a generic GOP victor, and Brooks can energize the Paulist wing.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »

Lol, he managed to make an election close. In Alabama. In a 'normal' year. He's a D U M B B O Y E.

In a low turnout special vs Moore, if black people and college students poll spam in reaction to his candidacy, educated suburbanites abstain or vote dem in protest, and the white rural areas don't mobilize for Moore, the dem could win. The first condition I would give 80-20 odds, the second 55-45, and the last one 45-55. Each of them on their own is very possible, but I give that perfect storm of all 3 a 20% chance of happening, hence why I think it's likely R

The Luther Strange path is similar, but with white rural areas being a bit more democratic, and educated suburbs being a bit less.

With Brooks, there is no path.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

As much as I wish a Democrat could win the Senate in Alabama, I don't think its gonna happen.

...Although, the more I think about it, Scott Brown did win in Massachusetts in the 2009 special election. So it could be possible if the Democrats focus on it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »

Robert Kennedy will win the Democratic primary and with that, all chances of winning in AL - regardless of whoever the GOP nominates - will be off the table. If the DSCC was looking at the race prior to that, it certainly won't be afterward.

Deep South Democratic electorates have developed as of late a very strong tendency to nominate absolute nobodies because they have a more familiar name, a more "Christian-sounding" name or their name is at the top of the ballot. I mean, the AL D-Sen primary consists of nothing but nobodies but in terms of viability, experience etc, Alabama will almost certainly pick the wrong nobody.

That's how people like Robert Gray, Marc Clayton, Alvin Greene, Charlie Brown etc keep getting Democratic statewide nominations in these states.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »

You guys aren't gonna win Alabama. You couldn't even beat Karen Handel.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2017, 06:54:20 PM by Virginia »

As much as I wish a Democrat could win the Senate in Alabama, I don't think its gonna happen.

...Although, the more I think about it, Scott Brown did win in Massachusetts in the 2009 special election. So it could be possible if the Democrats focus on it.
Massachusetts is far more open to electing Republicans than Alabama is open to electing Democrats.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »

Alabama democrats aren't going to win as Robert Kennedy will win the democratic primaries lol
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »

Massachusetts is far more open to electing Republicans than Alabama is open to electing Democrats.
Go slither back to your Stormfront r/T_D cesspool.
You got the bad post thread named after you in like a week. Why don't you take your own advice?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »

You got the bad post thread named after you in like a week. Why don't you take your own advice?

Stop fighting this is a thread about the Alabama Senate.  Reeeee
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »

Stop fighting this is a thread about the Alabama Senate.  Reeeee
It's a thread about George Will. It was never important to begin with.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies