Would Roland Freisler have been sentenced to death at Nuremberg had he survived?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:26:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Would Roland Freisler have been sentenced to death at Nuremberg had he survived?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would he have been sentenced to death/should he have?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: Would Roland Freisler have been sentenced to death at Nuremberg had he survived?  (Read 507 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Freisler

I found it kind of ironic the most prominent judge and judicial figure in Germany never go to to sit before a court himself, as he killed in Allied bombing of Berlin prior to the end of the war.

Had he survived I have no doubt he'd be one of the most prominent Nuremberg defendants. Incidentially, none of the most prominent Nazis were actually tried and executed at Nuremberg (Göring comes closest, but technically he was not executed), most fled or committed suicide or were killed before the war ended.

I voted Yes/Yes. Actually I'm not a supporter of the death penalty but since it was being used at Nuremberg, Freisler, had he survived to have been tried, definitely met the criteria the court had outlined for such a sentence.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »

I suspect that had he not died by bomb, he would've committed suicide like his brother. He probably would've been sentenced to death, but I'm not certain of it, tho he certainly should've been so sentenced.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »

I'm not sure he'd be considered prominent enough for Nuremberg. His lifelong ambition was to become Reich Minister of Justice, but only ended up as Secretary of State. He didn't really gain true notoriety before post-July 20 plot, nor was he highly-placed in party organization.

Of course, he could be "the next best thing" to represent Nazi judiciary in the dock, kind of like Fritsche was picked only because Goebbels was dead already.

As of ultimate conclusion, I see death sentence very likely. While my stance on capital punishment is known, I don't see myself opposing Nuremberg executions if I were alive back there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies