The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:43:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: How would you prefer I unveil McCarthy's cabinet?
A infobox

A list

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy  (Read 13444 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:48 PM »

Go Johnson!!! Does another Establishment candidate decide to enter?

You'll have to wait and see.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »

Also, a Republican from Tennessee supporting Lyndon Johnson? That's something you don't see everyday.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »

President Johnson suffers heart attack at rally in New York

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of April 28th, 1968

President Johnson collapsed at a rally in Albany yesterday, and was immediately rushed to hospital. Doctors say he is in serious condition. For the time being, Vice President Humphrey has taken the role of Acting President.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 10:41:31 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2017, 10:44:21 PM by bruhgmger2 »

President Johnson ends re-election bid

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of April 29th, 1968

From a hospital bed at St. Peters Hospital in Albany, New York, President Johnson announced he was no longer a candidate for re-election. He said that "On the advice of the helpful medical staff here at St. Peters Hospital, and on the advice of my wife, I have decided to withdraw myself as a candidate for re-election as President. I will continue to defend the great society, and I will continue to serve as President until my term expires on January 20th of next year".
When historians look back at President Johnson, they will look back at a legacy that is contrasted with the highs of the Great Society and the 1964 landslide, and the humiliation of losing his own party's Presidential Primaries as the sitting President
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 03:55:29 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy Scores Landslide Win in Massachusetts

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of May 1st, 1968

With no other major candidate in the race on the ballot, Eugene McCarthy has, as expected, won the Massachusetts Democratic Primary easily, taking the state 97-3.

State of the Democratic race:
Eugene McCarthy
Lyndon Johnson

New Hampshire
Eugene McCarthy:47%
Lyndon Johnson:45%

Wisconsin
Eugene McCarthy:53%
Lyndon Johnson:42%

Pennsylvania
Eugene McCarthy:61%
Lyndon Johnson:37%

Massachusetts
Eugene McCarthy:97%
Lyndon Johnson:3%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 07:20:11 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:49:37 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Tomorrow Morning, at the McCarthy Campaign Headquarters

May 2nd, 1968

Blair Clark: Oh god Johnson dropped out, oh dear lord this is terrible.

McCarthy: What are you talking about? We just unseated a sitting President, how on earth is that a bad thing?

Clark: Don't you remember? When Kennedy endorsed us, he did it because he thought we were the best campaign to defeat Johnson. And so long as Johnson was in the race, he had an incentive not to jump in the race. But that incentive is gone now, which means he could jump in the race and not have to worry about splitting the anti-LBJ vote, and should he do that, because he opposes the war. we will have a much harder time attacking Kennedy then we did attacking Johnson.

McCarthy: By God you're right! Well, is there anything we can do about this, to make sure Kennedy doesn't jump in?

Clark: Nothing that guarantees he'll stay out, but, should he show any interest in running, we could try offering him a cabinet post and support in the next primary. But our best shot of keeping Kennedy out of the race, is A) Hoping Kennedy doesn't notice this change in incentive structure and hoping no one close to him notices and then notifies him or B) Hoping Another establishment candidate jumps in, therefore he will have an incentive to not run for fear of splitting the anti-Proto LBJ vote.

McCarthy: I notice that both of these options are completely out of our own control.

Clark: Indeed they are, but it's not like we have any better choices.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 07:48:19 AM »

Vice President Humphrey rules out Presidential run

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of May 4th, 1968

Vice President Humphrey was questioned by a journalist  yesterday about whether he has any plans to run for President following the President's withdrawal. He responded in the Negative, saying "I have absolutely no interest in running for President".

Vice President Humphrey, who's official Vice Presidential portrait is shown here, has ruled himself out of contention for the Presidency
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:54:21 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy holds massive rally in Chicago, pledges to win "final struggle against poverty"

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of May 5th, 1968

At a Rally held in Chicago, Senator Eugene McCarthy pledged to "win the final struggle against poverty", and said that poverty can only be won through a constant struggle, rather then a war.

One can get a sense of perspective as to how big the rally crowd was through looking as this photograph

McCarthy: John Kennedy set free the spirit of America. The honest optimism was released. Quiet courage and civility became the mark of American government, and new programs of promise and of dedication were presented: the Peace Corps, the Alliance for Progress, the promise of equal rights for all Americans-- and not just the promise but the beginning of the achievement of that promise.
All the world looked to the United States with new hope, for here was youth and confidence and an openness to the future. Here was a country not being held by the dead hand of the past, nor frightened by the violent hand of the future which was grasping at the world.
This was the spirit of 1963.
What is the spirit of 1968? What is the mood of America and of the world toward America today?
It is a joyless spirit-- a mood of frustration, of anxiety, of uncertainty.
In place of the enthusiasm of the Peace Corps among the young people of America, we have protests and demonstrations.
In place of the enthusiasm of the Alliance for Progress, we have distrust and disappointment.
Instead of the language of promise and of hope, we have in politics today a new vocabulary in which the critical word is "war": war on poverty, war on ignorance, war on crime, war on pollution. Poverty ignorance, crime and pollution can be defeated not through warfare. They can be defeated only through constant and daily struggle. They can be defeated by the American community coming together to provide adequate healthcare and housing to all. Only through these means can the poverty, ignorance, crime and pollution be ended once and for all. Should I be elected, my administration shall commit it's total energy to eliminating these social ills, including winning the final struggle against poverty.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 03:54:50 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy wins Indiana, Young wins Ohio

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of May 8th, 1968

Eugene McCarthy has won the state of Indiana 57-43 over favorite son Governor Roger D. Branigin, while in Ohio, favorite son Senator Stephen Young was the only candidate on the ballot and took the state 99-1.

State of the Democratic Race:

Eugene McCarthy
Lyndon Johnson
Stephen Young

New Hampshire

Wisconsin

Pennsylvania
Lyndon Johnson 37%

Massachusetts

Indiana
Eugene McCarthy:57%
Roger Branigin:43%

Ohio
Stephen Young: 99%
Write Ins:1%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2017, 09:45:47 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Can McCarthy be stopped?

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of May 10th, 1968

Since the beginning of the Democratic primaries, Senator Eugene McCarthy has, through a series of convincing wins, acquired an aura of invincibility, and his victory in Indiana did nothing to disturb that aura.  

Can anything stop Eugene McCarthy from becoming the Democratic Nominee?

The big question of the Democratic primary now is, can a McCarthy nomination be stopped?
The Nebraska Democratic primary (where Senator McCarthy is expected to win easily) is in 4 days. Should there be an upset there, then the odds of a McCarthy nomination will diminish greatly but that likely won't happen. The real test comes on May 28th, when Oregon and Florida vote. McCarthy is heavily favored in Oregon, but in Florida he is locked in a very tight race with favorite son Senator George Smathers. Should Smathers win Florida, then there is still a chance for a anti-McCarthy candidate to take the nomination at the convention. But, should McCarthy win Florida, and follow it up with expected wins in the remaining states of California, New Jersey, South Dakota, and Illinois, then the a McCarthy nomination is all but guaranteed. So, on May 28th, keep an eye on Florida, for it could determine the next Democratic nominee.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 03:53:45 PM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy wins Nebraska

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of May 15th, 1968

Senator Eugene McCarthy has easily won the Nebraska Democratic primary 78-19, with the only opposition coming from write-ins.

Eugene McCarthy
Lyndon Johnson
Stephen Young

New Hampshire

Wisconsin

Pennsylvania
Lyndon Johnson 37%

Massachusetts

Indiana

Ohio

Nebraska
Eugene McCarthy:79%
Write Ins:19%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:50:02 PM by bruhgmger2 »

May 28th, 1968

6:30 PM

Announcer: This is a CBS News special report on the Oregon and Florida primaries. Here is Walter Cronkite.

Cronkite: Good evening. At 6:30 PM on the east coast, the polls have just closed in the Florida and Oregon Presidential primaries and a special CBS News survey of voters leaving the polling places indicates that Senator Eugene McCarthy has a big lead in Oregon with almost 80% of the vote. He has no opposition in Oregon and currently holds 77% of the vote. In Florida, there is a neck and neck battle between Senator McCarthy and Senator Smathers, with both of them just below 50%. Now, to the Campaign HQ's of McCarthy and Smathers. First, we cut to Roger Mudd, who is at McCarthy campaign headquarters. Roger, what's the mood like over there?

Mudd: The people here are feeling a whole lot of cautious optimism after you announced that McCarthy had a big lead in Oregon, they're happy about that, but of course they know that the important race is happening in Florida, and there are some nerves in the room about the fact that it is a very tight race there, it could go either way, and a lot of people are worried that it won't go McCarthy's way. It's a much different mood from 2 weeks ago when everyone was cheering on McCarthy's landslide in Nebraska, that's for sure.

Cronkite: Now to David Dick at Smathers headquarters. What's the mood like over there David?

Dick: I will say a lot of people here feel a mood of excitement, they have heard the news of a very tight race in Florida, but they feel the home state advantage will be enough for Senator Smathers to carry Florida. Back to you, Walter

Cronkite: We'll be back very soon, but first, a word from our sponsors.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:50:18 PM by bruhgmger2 »

May 28th, 1968

6:37 PM

Cronkite: We have a call to make. CBS Evening News projects that Senator McCarthy will win the Oregon Presidential primaries. CBS Projects that when all the votes are counted, the results will be 78% for McCarthy, and 21% of the vote will go to write ins. That is no surprise, Senator McCarthy was expected to triumph easily and he has. I would like to go back to Roger Mudd at McCarthy campaign headquarters. Roger, how is the mood at McCarthy headquarters?

Mudd: Well the crowd does feel a lot better then a few minutes ago, there is some cheering going on, but they are still worried about Florida, they know that's the big fish in the pond.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 09:41:17 PM »

Also, a Republican from Tennessee supporting Lyndon Johnson? That's something you don't see everyday.

Damn, I actually meant McCarthy 😂😂😂 and I'm more of a Libertarian so that's why it even makes less sense now 😂 But amazing TL!!!!
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »

McCarthy!!!
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 10:03:36 PM »

Damn, I actually meant McCarthy 😂😂😂 and I'm more of a Libertarian so that's why it even makes less sense now 😂 But amazing TL!!!!

Thank you so much.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 10:28:42 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:50:27 PM by bruhgmger2 »

May 28th, 1968

10:27 PM

Cronkite: We have a major call to make. CBS Evening News projects that Senator Eugene McCarthy will win the state of Flordia's Presidential primaries. We project that when all the votes are counted, Senator McCarthy will win 49-48 over Senator Smathers. And like that, McCarthy has all but secured the Democratic Nomination for President. I would like to go, once again to Roger Mudd at McCarthy campaign headquarters. Roger, what's the mood like over there?

Mudd: The people here are euphoric, they were worried about potentially losing Florida, they have not lost Florida and they are celebrating a hard fought victory. And Remember Walter, a lot of these people, when they first started supporting McCarthy, they thought it was impossible for McCarthy himself to get the nomination, and now they stand on the verge of doing just that.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 10:51:16 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2017, 02:57:36 AM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy takes Oregon and Florida

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of May 29th, 1968

Eugene McCarthy greatly increased his already great odds of winning the Democratic nomination yesterday by winning the States of Oregon 78-21 and Florida 49-48. Should McCarthy follow up these wins with wins in the last four states of California, South Dakota, New Jersey and Illinois, (he is favored in all 4 of those states) then a McCarthy nomination becomes, in my view, an inevitability.

Eugene McCarthy
Lyndon Johnson
Stephen Young

New Hampshire

Wisconsin

Pennsylvania
Lyndon Johnson 37%

Massachusetts

Indiana

Ohio

Nebraska

Oregon
Eugene McCarthy:78%
Write Ins:21%

Florida
Eugene McCarthy:49%
George Smathers:48%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2017, 06:50:40 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Meanwhile, in the Senate

June 1st, 1968

Ted Kennedy: I'm sure you're well aware that you can run now without having to worry about splitting the Anti-LBJ vote, so why don't you run?

RFK: Well yes, I could run, but how? It's too late to get onto any ballots, and I don't have any favorite sons who will stand in for me. Besides, I was hoping to get a cabinet post, and I don't think McCarthy will name to a high position should I enter the race after endorsing him.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2017, 02:58:50 AM by bruhgmger2 »

McCarthy wins California, New Jersey and South Dakota

Excerpt from the Boston Globe from the day of June 5th, 1968

Eugene McCarthy, who by now has surely won himself the Democratic nomination, yesterday won the primaries in California, New Jersey and South Dakota. He won California 63-36 over favorite son Thomas Lynch, New Jersey 79-15, and South Dakota 66-33. The importance of these wins cannot be overstated, because with these wins, as much as they despise him, the "establishment" of the party will most likely not attempt to steal the nomination because they are well aware that if they do, the party will suffer a massive split the likes of which have not been seen in American politics seen since the Whig party dissolved over the slavery issue.

Actor Paul Newman, seen warming up the crowd for McCarthy at McCarthy's victory rally, appeared in multiple ads for McCarthy and stumped for McCarthy across the state

Eugene McCarthy
Lyndon Johnson
Stephen Young

New Hampshire

Wisconsin

Pennsylvania
Lyndon Johnson 37%

Massachusetts

Indiana

Ohio

Nebraska

Oregon

Florida

California
Eugene McCarthy:63%
Thomas Lynch:36%

New Jersey
Write Ins:15%

South Dakota
Eugene McCarthy:66%
Write Ins:33%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2017, 08:00:58 PM by bruhgmger2 »

Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson enters Presidential Race, says "The War in Vietnam is winnable, and it will be won under a Scoop Jackson administration"

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of June 5th, 1968

Little known Senator Henry Jackson (D-WA), nicknamed Scoop Jackson, has entered his name into contention for the Democratic nomination. In his announcement speech, he said "America needs new leadership, but frankly, the options our great nation has right now I feel, are not adequate. This is why I am announcing today, that I am running for President. This administration, despite it's success on the domestic front, has not done enough to contain the communist threat. We need to win in Vietnam. We simply cannot allow Communism to spread even an inch further. And contrary to popular belief, the War in Vietnam is not only a necessary war, it is a just war, a noble chapter in our struggle against the red menace. The war in Vietnam is not only winnable, it will be won under a Scoop Jackson administration. Under a Scoop Jackson administration, protecting unions and the environment will be at the top of the agenda. Under a Scoop Jackson administration, Americans could sleep safe tight at night not having to worry about being excessive healthcare costs, about exploitation in the work place, or the threat to freedom we call Communism " He has said he would compete as a write in candidate in the Illinois primary, and even if he loses in Illinois, that he would take it to Chicago and try to win the nomination at the convention.

Senator Jackson, seen here announcing his Presidential run, has announced he is running for President under a domestically progressive yet hawkish platform
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »

Chicago Tribune interview with Presidential candidate Senator Scoop Jackson

Excerpt from the Chicago Tribune from the day of June 6th, 1968

Senator Scoop Jackson announced that he was running President yesterday because, in his view, "America needs new leadership". He sat down and talked to us about his policy views, his views on the other candidates in the race for President and his plan for America.

Reporter: First, I would like to thank you for being with us.

Jackson: You're very welcome.

Reporter: A lot of people, including Senator McCarthy are saying that electing you is effectively 4 more years of Lyndon Johnson, that are for business as usual and that you offer no new direction for America. What do you say to these people?

Jackson: I have nothing to say to these people other than that they are very badly mistaken. Should I be elected, I will take a completely different view on our foreign policy, and the Vietnam conflict in particular. You see, President Johnson was timid, when he entered the war, he didn't really believe in it, he fought the war simply because he was wary of being attacked by the Republicans for being soft on Communism. But, I completely believe in this war, and I would do whatever it takes to win in Vietnam.

Reporter: Does that mean you would increase troop deployment if General Westmoreland asked for it?

Jackson: Absolutely.

Reporter: So, in March, when General Westmoreland requested for 206,000 more troops, had you been in Lyndon Johnson's shoes, you would've granted that request?

Jackson: Absolutely.

Reporter: But Americans think sending troops to Vietnam was a mistake by a 51-38 margin. With public opinion being the way it is, how can you argue for more troops?

Jackson: The reason public opinion is against the war in Vietnam, is because they have been led to believe the war is unwinnable. That could not be further from the truth. As I said yesterday, this war is winnable, and it will won under a Scoop Jackson administration.

Reporter: But Senator, a lot of people oppose the war on Moral grounds, they see things like the My Lai massacre, and they say "We shouldn't be involved in Vietnam, why did we enter anyway? Who cares what happens in Vietnam.". What do you say to these people?

Jackson: If we don't commit to fighting Communism in Vietnam, then where? Thailand? India? Cambodia? Bangladesh? Indonesia? Burma? Where do we draw the line? I'll tell you where, we draw it at stopping Communism from spreading even an inch further, and under a President Scoop Jackson, the United States will commit it's total energy to stopping the spread of Communism by any means necessary, and if that means increasing troops numbers in Vietnam, then so be it.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 12:40:36 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2017, 02:53:20 AM by bruhgmger2 »

Scoop Jackson Botches Chicago Tribune Interview

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of June 7th, 1968

It's safe to say this man won't be Democratic nominee for President anytime soon

When Senator Henry Jackson talked to the Chicago Tribune yesterday, he was presented with an opportunity. He had a chance to make a good first impression among Democratic primary voters. He promptly took this opportunity, threw it into the ocean and instead left a first impression that he was something like a cross between Joseph McCarthy and William Westmoreland. Such an impression is, obviously, a very bad impression to leave. Post Interview polling has Eugene McCarthy in the high 80's in Illinois. If Senator McCarthy's nomination was not secure after his victories on June 4th, it is now.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 03:05:42 AM »

McCarthy wins Illinois

Excerpt from the New York Times from the day of June 12th, 1968

Jackson's 6 day campaign was a textbook example of a beautiful disaster

Despite initially being competitive in the state, Senator Scoop Jackson's poll numbers dropped like a rock after his interview with the Chicago Tribune, and he has lost the state 81-19 to Eugene McCarthy.

Eugene McCarthy
Lyndon Johnson
Stephen Young

New Hampshire

Wisconsin

Pennsylvania
Lyndon Johnson 37%

Massachusetts

Indiana

Ohio

Nebraska

Oregon

Florida

California
Eugene McCarthy:63%
Thomas Lynch:36%

New Jersey
Write Ins:15%

South Dakota
Eugene McCarthy:66%
Write Ins:33%

Illinois
Eugene McCarthy:81%
Henry "Scoop" Jackson:19%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 02:33:45 AM »

Meanwhile, at the White House

June 12th, 1968

Richard J. Daley: Mr. President, I need to know something.

LBJ: And what would that be?

Daley: You've read in the press that a McCarthy nomination is "inevitable"?

LBJ: Unfortunately.

Daley: So what's the memo? How do we deal with McCarthy?

LBJ: McCarthy will win the Nomination at the convention. After that, he is on his own.

Daley: But Mr. President, he spent the entire primary season attacking you, and now you give him your support?

LBJ: Who said anything about supporting him? He'll win the nomination, I'll give an endorsement through gritted teeth, then I won't move a muscle to help him. You understand?

Daley: Yes Mr. President.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies