The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:57:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: How would you prefer I unveil McCarthy's cabinet?
A infobox

A list

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: The Winds of Change: The Presidency of Eugene Joseph McCarthy  (Read 13450 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2017, 04:30:31 AM »

1:04

We can say that Missouri and it's 12 Electoral Votes will vote for Eugene McCarthy. Let's see where that leaves the candidates. Senator McCarthy stills leads, now with 238 Electoral Votes. Richard Nixon has 198 Electoral Votes and trails Senator McCarthy by 40, and George Wallace is in third with 53. This means that the election comes down to California. Should Senator McCarthy win California, he will win a majority of Electoral Votes, and he will be our next President, even if he loses Alaska and Oregon. Should Richard Nixon win California, George Wallace will achieve his goal of denying any candidate a majority in the Electoral College, and the House will pick the next President.

Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) / Terry Sanford (D-NC) - 238 Electoral Votes
Richard Nixon (R-CA) / Spiro Agnew (R-MD) - 198 Electoral Votes
George Wallace (AI-AL) / Curtis LeMay (AI-CA) - 53 Electoral Votes

1:08

For the last time this evening, we can project a Senate Race. The Democrats will win the Senate election in Alaska. This race may be the most intriguing Senate race in the whole country. Like a few other races around the country, the incumbent Senator, Democrat Ernest Gruening ran for re-election only to lose in his party's primary. Unlike the other races where this occurred, he refused to concede and launched a write-in campaign to win a third term. However, that has not been successful and he has lost in the general election to Mike Gravel, the same man who beat him the Democratic primary.

Democrats - 63 Seats ✔
Republicans - 36 Seats

1:10

We can project that Richard Nixon will carry the state of Alaska and it's 3 Electoral Votes. This brings him up to over 200 Electoral Votes; he now has 201 to Senator McCarthy's 238 and Governor Wallace's 53.

Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) / Terry Sanford (D-NC) - 238 Electoral Votes
Richard Nixon (R-CA) / Spiro Agnew (R-MD) - 201 Electoral Votes
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2017, 02:19:22 AM »

1:43

Ladies and Gentlemen, we can call the Presidency. CBS News projects that Senator Eugene McCarthy will be elected President of the United States because we can project that Eugene McCarthy will carry the battleground state of California and it's 40 Electoral Votes, pushing him above the 270 Electoral Votes needed to win the Presidency. President-Elect McCarthy will be the 2nd Catholic President, after President John F. Kennedy, and he will be the first President from Minnesota. And, I think, he will be one of the most Liberal Presidents this country has or will ever have. He and Vice President-Elect Sanford will take office on January 20th, with Democratic majorities in both Chambers of Congress to help them get their agenda passed. One has to wonder how the Republicans will respond to losing 3 elections in a row come 1972. Will they nominate a Conservative, someone like Ronald Reagan maybe? Or will they nominate a moderate, someone in the mold of George Romney or Nelson Rockefeller? Only time can tell.

Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) / Terry Sanford (D-NC) - 278 Electoral Votes ✔
Richard Nixon (R-CA) / Spiro Agnew (R-MD) - 201 Electoral Votes
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2017, 02:21:09 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 02:50:16 AM by bruhgmger2 »

Final Results:

And Some Infoboxes I made:

The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2017, 01:15:03 PM »

Damn. Look at all of those majority's. Think of the progressive agenda that could come from that.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »

Damn. Look at all of those majority's. Think of the progressive agenda that could come from that.
Remember a lot of those Democrats are quite Conservative.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »

Remember a lot of those Democrats are quite Conservative.

I understand but the more democrats there are in the congress, the more likely the chance that progressive policy's could get passed (because by this time the Democrats are clearly the more economically left party). And with 63 democrats in the senate that chance is great.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2017, 05:09:27 PM »

November 9th, 1968

THE PRESIDENT-ELECT: Good afternoon, everyone. As I take office, our nation is engaged in needless wars, and the Communists are still no where close to defeat. Many of our alliances are frayed, and America’s standing in the world has suffered.

Over the next four years, we will begin a new era of American leadership. We will end the War in Vietnam, put the world on the path to peace, and we will use America's might only when absolutely necessary, so that the horrors of the Vietnam War will never be seen again. We will strengthen our alliances, form new coalitions to meet global challenges; and stand up for human dignity, from North Africa to the Middle East to Burma. We will, of course, face great challenges. But, I can say with confidence that my Administration will tackle these challenges, and in Four Years Time, we will make America safer, stronger, and more respected in the world then it is today.

Of course, I cannot do this alone. I will need a State Department that shares my vision of a transformation in the way we conduct ourselves internationally; and one of the most important people in this whole transformation will be our Secretary of State. It is for this reason, that I am immensely excited to nominate for the position of Secretary of State a man who shares my values of peace and international cooperation. A man who, having lost a brother in war, understands that we must use military force only when it is absolutely necessary. And a man who will go down in history as one of the greatest Secretary's of State in American history. My friends, I am proud to announce today that I am nominating for the position of Secretary of State, the distinguished Senator from New York, Robert Francis Kennedy.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »

How would you prefer I unveil McCarthy's cabinet, with an infobox, or with a stylized list (an example can be seen below)?
Wow, cool connection. Thanks for the kind words.

~~~~
The Kennedy Administration

President: Robert Francis Kennedy (D-NY)
Vice President: Birch Bayh (D-IN)
Secretary of State: Vance Hartke (D-IN)
Secretary of the Treasury: Edward Brooke (R-MA)
Secretary of Defense: John Glenn (D-OH)
Attorney General: Ralph W. Yarborough (D-TX)
Secretary of the Interior: Ben Reifel (R-SD)
Secretary of Agriculture: Cesar Chavez (D-CA)
Secretary of Commerce: Bill Steiger (R-WI)
Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare: Henry B. Gonzalez (D-TX)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Charles Diggs (D-MI)
Secretary of Transportation: Endicott Peabody (D-MA)
Chief of Staff: Fred Dutton
Press Secretary: Pierre Salinger
Senior Advisors: Ted Sorensen, Harris Wofford

Yarborough is replaced in the Senate by Lloyd Bentsen. Brooke is replaced in the Senate by James A. Burke, a Democrat. Hartke is replaced in the Senate by Richard Roudebush, a Republican. Bobby himself is replaced by Charles Goodell, a Republican.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2017, 01:36:13 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2017, 07:15:55 PM by bruhgmger2 »

F*** it, I'll do both. First the list:

The McCarthy Cabinet

Secretary of State: Robert Kennedy

Secretary of Defense: Frank Church

Attorney General: Ramsey Clark

Secretary of Commerce: John Glenn

Secretary of the Treasury: Joseph Barr

Secretary of the Interior: Stuart Udall

Secretary of Agriculture: Kika de la Garza

Secretary of Labor: Joseph Karth

Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Jacob Javits

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: George Romney

Secretary of Transportation: Alan Boyd

Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »

And the Infobox:

Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »

Party Standing in the Senate as McCarthy is Sworn in:

59 Democrats - 41 Republicans

The Four Republican gain since the election have come from 4 appointment to fill vacancies in previously Democratic seats. Specifically, the appointment of Charles Goodell to succeed Robert Kennedy in New York, the appointment of Al Quie to succeed Eugene McCarthy in Minnesota, the appointment of Hamer Budge to succeed Frank Church in Idaho, and the appointment of Ted Stevens to succeed Bob Bartlett in Alaska. Party standings in the House have not changed since election day.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »

Louis Lefkowitz or Barry Goodman would be good replacements for Javits. If you want a big name, Kermit Roosevelt Jr., Henry Kissinger, and Archibald Roosevelt Jr. would be good nominees.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2017, 10:06:59 PM »

Praise the heavens, I just figured out how to make maps appear in Infoboxes. So I give you the new and improved infoboxes:

Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2017, 12:45:26 AM »

Louis Lefkowitz or Barry Goodman would be good replacements for Javits. If you want a big name, Kermit Roosevelt Jr., Henry Kissinger, and Archibald Roosevelt Jr. would be good nominees.
Ah sh**t, I forgot to appoint someone to Javits's seat.
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »

Praise the heavens, I just figured out how to make maps appear in Infoboxes. So I give you the new and improved infoboxes:

how do you make the maps?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2017, 09:10:07 PM »

this is great
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »

With the https://uselectionatlas.org/TOOLS/evcalc.php Button
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2017, 10:44:32 PM »

I meant add the maps to a wikibox
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2017, 12:22:10 AM »

I meant add the maps to a wikibox
A) You make a wikipedia account
B) You upload the map you are trying to put into a wikibox to wikimedia
C) You then link this picture the way you would any other picture from wikimedia
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2017, 09:07:57 AM by bruhgmger2 »

President McCarthy Grants Unconditional Amnesty to all Draft Dodgers

Excerpt from the Washington Post from the day of January 21, 1969

As one of his first acts in office, President McCarthy yesterday signed an executive order which granted a blanket pardon to all Vietnam Draft Dodgers. This amnesty is a complete and unconditional amnesty, meaning that military deserters and convicted civilian protesters who engaged in acts of violence will be eligible for the pardon.

The move is already receiving criticism from some Conservatives, who feel that, to quote California Governor Ronald Reagan, the action "demeans and insults the sacrifice made by American men and women in service of their country in Vietnam" and that it "sends the message that lawlessness and disorder will be tolerated in McCarthy's America".

The reaction from the individual draft dodgers themselves has been varied. Those who have not attained citizenship of a foreign country are eager to return to their homeland. Those who have established roots abroad (mainly in Canada) are excited they can once again visit their homeland, but do not intend to return to America. Such a Draft Dodger was interviewed by the Canadian CBC and had this to say about President McCarthy's Action and how it affects him:

A Draft Dodger who ran to Canada being interview by the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)

Interviewer: You're a Canadian Citizen now, so you don't plan on returning, but how does the Amnesty affect you?

Draft Dodger: The Amnesty means that I'll be able to travel freely in the United States, go to Hawaii, see the Grand Canyon, all the wonderful things that there are to do in the United States, and also it means that I'll be able to share with my children the cultural heritage of my birthplace.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »

I swear this is the final infobox

WilliamStone1776
Rookie
United States