Truman for Prime Minister : Once More into the Breach
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:09:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Truman for Prime Minister : Once More into the Breach
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Truman for Prime Minister : Once More into the Breach  (Read 1197 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »
« edited: August 14, 2017, 09:47:40 PM by Prime Minister Truman »

There comes a time in the history of all republics when the fate of the commonwealth depends on men of action. This is one of those times.

Two months ago, I stood before the people of Fremont and made the following solemn promises:

We need a prime minister who will prioritize education reform, rebuild and expand our infrastructure, continue to support a pro-growth, pro-worker economic policy, and - most importantly - put activity and good governance before party interests. You don't have to take my word that I can and will deliver these promises; my record of achievement, and the progress our region has made under my watch, speaks for itself. We have a long way to go, and innumerable challenges ahead; yet for all this, I remain as hopeful as I was six months ago that this is and will be the greatest of the three regions, and I stand determined to defend that hope, come hell or high water.

Nine weeks is quite a while in this world of ours, and it would be understandable - even expected - if none of you remembered my giving that particular speech. Yet I have kept my word. In the time since the seating of the third parliament, I have utilized every shred of power and influence I possess to make good on the promise I made to the citizens of this region. With the aid of by good friend and colleague, Speaker Wallace, I have seen the passage of legislation to reform public education, establish clear rules for conducting elections (a feat that continues to elude my counterparts in Nyman), and reign in carbon emissions; legislation is now pending to increase transparency in law enforcement and pass the first balanced budget in the history of our commonwealth.

In the eight months I have borne the mantle of the head of government for this commonwealth, it has been my great pleasure to stand alongside a large cast of thoughtful and conscientious public servants who have taken it on themselves to build a better future for their region. These individuals have varied in experience and political principle, yet they share a common commitment to the welfare of their region. They have proposed new and innovative strategies for expanding our economy and reforming our government; they have done the difficult and necessary work of building legislation line by line, clause by clause, to ensure the needs of the people of Fremont are carefully and efficiently met. These, ladies and gentlemen, are the luminaries of a generation; it has been my high privilege and honor to work with them.

Yet it has also been my lot - and ever more so in the last two months - to carry the weight of those whose commitment to the service of their region is perhaps less solid. Such has been the history of the late parliament. Some of our Members seem to believe it is not their responsibility to take part in debate or vote on legislation before the House, let alone offer ideas of their own. Since the seating of the third parliament in June, only one Member apart from myself has introduced so much as one word of legislation. This is a disease that has infected all parties, on both sides of the aisle, and it must be rooted out - or else our commonwealth will become little more than a one-man circus, directed from above ad perpetuum until the ministry should collapse from sheer exhaustion.

It is clear to me, and to those with whom I have conferred, that the future prosperity of this region depends on an active and responsive government - and while I am more than willing to assume the lion's share of the responsibility for this, I cannot govern alone. For this reason, I have resolved to order the dissolution of the House of Commons effective Monday next, by my authority as Prime Minister under the Constitution, and to call for an immediate Snap Election to begin Friday the 18th of August. This election, as required by the Constitution, will result in the choice of a new prime minister and House of Commons for the region; I have further resolved to once more submit my candidacy for the former.

And so, my fellow Fremontians, I make the following pledge to you: that the next parliament will see the adoption of a balanced budget for the fiscal year of 2018; that the next parliament will see new efforts to expand and improve our infrastructure; that the next parliament will see renewed efforts to reform our criminal justice system; that, above all, the next parliament will hold every individual, regardless of party or past friendship, fully accountable for their actions - or lack thereof. I make this oath on my word and reputation as a servant of the Atlasian people, and I'll be d*mned before I break it.

Onward, then!

HARRY S TRUMAN Prime Minister of Fremont
"Never Call Retreat"

PLATFORM
Fiscal Responsibility
Criminal Justice Reform

ENDORSEMENTS
House Minority Leader Peebs (Labor Party - South)
Governor Mike Wells (Labor Party - Lincoln)
President D.F.W. Libertylover (Federalist Party - Lincoln)
Senator Roy Barnes (Labor Party - Fremont)
Representative Fhtagn (Federalist Party - Lincoln)
Speaker of the Assembly Lok (Labor Party - Lincoln)
Former Delegate Justin Time Cuber (Labor Party - South)
PPT of the Senate Scott (Labor Party - Lincoln)
Senator Henry Wallace (Labor Party - Fremont)
Former Secretary of State Ted Bessell (Independent - Fremont)
Representative J. Gibson (Labor Party - Lincoln)
Representative Illiniwek (Labor Party - Lincoln)
Party Leader Kamala (People's Revolutionary Democratic Centre - Fremont)
Former Vice President R. Pryor (Labor Party - Fremont)
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »

Not endorsing because Mike told me the name of this thread used to be just Truman. Angry
More seriously, obviously endorsed.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »

Thanks, Madam RG/SoFE/SES/Minority Leader/Representative!
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »

I have resolved to order the dissolution of the House of Commons effective Monday next, by my authority as Prime Minister under the Constitution, and to call for an immediate Snap Election to begin Friday the 18th of August.

Isn't canis the only candidate who has declared?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »

Not endorsing because Mike told me the name of this thread used to be just Truman. Angry

Back in a much simpler time. Endorsed anyway, despite making things so long and hard.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:17:38 PM »

Madam RG/SoFE/SES/Minority Leader/Representative!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »

Endorsed
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2017, 08:21:55 PM by Barnes »

I think my endorsement of you would be the least surprising piece of news in modern history.

I'm happy to see our constitutional reforms being put to good use with the dissolution. Wink
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 08:21:03 PM »

Back in a much simpler time. Endorsed anyway, despite making things so long and hard.
Many thanks, Governor!

Thank-you, Mr. President!

I think my endorsement of you would be the least surprising piece of news in modern history.

I'm happy to see our constitutional reforms being out to good use with the dissolution. Wink
As am I - and thanks!

I have resolved to order the dissolution of the House of Commons effective Monday next, by my authority as Prime Minister under the Constitution, and to call for an immediate Snap Election to begin Friday the 18th of August.

Isn't canis the only candidate who has declared?
As the elections were originally scheduled for next month, that's not terribly surprising. I have spoken to other interested potential candidates who will hopefully enter the race presently.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »

Endorsed!
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.47

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »

Endorsed!
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »

Endorsed
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »

Thanks, y'all!
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »

Proudly endorsed.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »

Representative Fhtagn (Federalist Party - South)
The lovely Frank moved in with Dooforrester, actually.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 09:50:14 PM »

Representative Fhtagn (Federalist Party - South)
The lovely Frank moved in with Dooforrester, actually.

Dang, way to assume.
Joe Haydn
HenryWallaceVP

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 10:37:10 PM »

Endorsed!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »

Happily endorsed. You've done great things for the region, and I fully expect you to continue to do so.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »

Happily endorsed. You've done great things for the region, and I fully expect you to continue to do so.

Thank you very much, gentlemen!
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »

Proudly endorsed.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 09:17:29 PM »

Thanks, Congressman!
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 07:56:04 PM »

One enthusiastic endorsement for Prime Minister Truman!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 08:16:33 PM »

One enthusiastic endorsement for Prime Minister Truman!
Much appreciated, sir!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »

The Truman Plan
Part I

Fiscal Responsibility
When I assumed the helm of state some eight months ago, the finances of our commonwealth were in disarray. Despite a hefty sum of revenue supplied by a burdensome and regressive tax code, my predecessors in the government had taken no action to regulate expenditures or to allocate funds to maintain our vital public services.

In the course of the past months, we have done much to correct this oversight. My first act at the convention of the last parliament was to introduce a budget for the fiscal year of 2018. This budget would eliminate the regressive sales tax and slash income taxes by 50% for working and middle-class Fremontians, all while raising nearly $270 billion in revenue and without incurring a penny of debt. In the next session, I will move to continue this program of fiscal responsibility by insisting upon a detailed and balanced budget for Fremont while using our considerable surplus to fund programs that benefit the general good.

Criminal Justice Reform
I have just proposed in the House of Commons a bill to promote honesty and transparency in law enforcement by issuing badge cameras to all uniformed police officers in Fremont. This bill, if adopted, will go a long way towards improving relations between police officers and the communities they serve, protecting those who are guiltless of wrongdoing, and ensuring that the guilty are held accountable. In the next parliament, I will call on the House of Commons to allocate additional funds for expanding the ranks of public defenders, in order to ensure that all those accused of crimes under our laws receive a free and fair trial.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »

The People's Revolutionary Democratic Centre endorses Prime Minister Truman for reelection. We do not support the challenger Wulfric.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies