Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:54:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torch-bearing white nationalists march ahead of alt-right rally(Charlottesville)  (Read 41303 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: August 12, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »

According to reports, the driver is in police custody.  We will know at some point who it is.  Until then, speculation is pointless.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »

David Duke: Charlottesville protests about ‘fulfilling promises of Donald Trump’

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »

Rubio:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »

The next time Democrats regain the trifecta, they should go on an all-out assault on the white nationalist movement and their enablers, violent and non-violent alike.  Even if it means running roughshod over their First Amendment rights.  

Absolutely not, on the last part.   The Bill of Rights applies to everyone in this country, even those who might seem to not "deserve" it.  Trying to pick and choose who the rights applies to makes them worthless.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »

Here's a good point regarding Trump's statement from a well-known conservative:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:30:45 PM »

The driver has been identified:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:15:27 PM »

No.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »

I suppose this was predictable.  It's also disgusting.  Reported by Will Sommer of The Hill:

(The tweet includes a link to the source on Infowars; I prefer not to provide links to such sites.)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »

Meanwhile, this happened in Germany ...

So we have Germans fighting American Nazis?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »

To die over exercising your political rights of free speech is so sad.  The government needs to crack down on these radical right wing militas.  Round them up now.  They disgust me.

Will the government crack down on Black Bloc and Black Panthers too? Because they disgust me as much as the right wing militias?

I saw a stat on political terrorism in the US yesterday. In the past however many years there've been 38 attacks from white supremacists groups and exactly one from black nationalist groups. One problem is much more significant than the other.

And as the other poster said, this isn't a one or the other situation. I don't like black nationalists or white nationalists. I'm just not going to make red herring references to black nationalists after white nationalist attacks/demonstrations because I'm not desperately grasping to excuse/distract from this.

Perhaps I'm overly naive, but I've always been puzzled by the thinking behind trying to defend a wrong action by one side with "well, the other side does it" (whether or not the other side actually does do it is irrelevant).  If some action is wrong when the other side does it, then it's wrong when your side does it too.  And it doesn't justify your side doing it; two wrongs don't make a right.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »

Nobody thinks that's OK (I hope).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 11:21:40 AM »

Monuments aren't always meant to honor, sometimes they're just to remember......history.

False. Monuments are never just a neutral DYK

Agreed.  You don't need a monument to remember history.  I don't think there is any danger of forgetting Hitler or Stalin, but I doubt there are many statues of them still standing in public places.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »

As Trump defends Confederate statues, a reminder that one of his golf courses has a plaque commemorating a completely made up Civil War battle: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/25/us/politics/in-renovation-of-golf-club-donald-trump-also-dressed-up-history.html

FAKE HISTORY!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »

I guess the General Sherman monuments are next on the list,  eh?

Actually, as a Georgian I'd have no problem with no Sherman monuments.  Smiley  But you're missing the key point here: we shouldn't be raising statues to people who fought AGAINST this country.  Lee, Jackson, etc. may have had some admirable qualities.  But that doesn't change the fact that they were enemies of the United States. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies