MO RTW Opponents Plan on Turning in 300K Signatures to SOS to put RTW on Ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:41:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO RTW Opponents Plan on Turning in 300K Signatures to SOS to put RTW on Ballot
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MO RTW Opponents Plan on Turning in 300K Signatures to SOS to put RTW on Ballot  (Read 1182 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
« edited: August 10, 2017, 12:52:22 PM by YPestis25 »

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/unions-plan-turn-300k-signatures-likely-putting-missouri-s-right-work-law-limbo

Here's the article. They got enough signatures in every congressional district, and tripled the total number of signatures they needed statewide.
Babeuf

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:56:36 AM »

Really hoping this succeeds!
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:12:55 AM »

Unfortunately, this is all that is left of the Missouri Democratic Party:

Nice try though.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 06:26:46 PM »

I hope this repeal of RTWFL succeeds.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »

We shall see, this will be nice to watch along with McCaskill v Hawley.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 11:58:04 PM »

Unfortunately, this is all that is left of the Missouri Democratic Party:

Nice try though.
A broken image? I didn't realize the situation was thay bad.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »

Lol!
Today on Facebook I saw a St. Louis Post-Dispatch article about the fact that, upon turning in those 300,000 signatures, opponents of RTW have effectively suspended the implementation of RTW until after the referendum, which is to say until at least November 2018.
What was funny though was that a guy by the name of Jay posted a comment below the article: "I must have signed that petition 20 times or more. Everybody kept asking me to sign it." Someone else responded that it's against the law to sign a petition more than once, to which Jay said, "nobody told me it was against the law. I would have thought they would have instructed me on that. Oh well."
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 08:48:53 PM »

Lol!
Today on Facebook I saw a St. Louis Post-Dispatch article about the fact that, upon turning in those 300,000 signatures, opponents of RTW have effectively suspended the implementation of RTW until after the referendum, which is to say until at least November 2018.
What was funny though was that a guy by the name of Jay posted a comment below the article: "I must have signed that petition 20 times or more. Everybody kept asking me to sign it." Someone else responded that it's against the law to sign a petition more than once, to which Jay said, "nobody told me it was against the law. I would have thought they would have instructed me on that. Oh well."
Everyone in the stltoday comment section is a right wing troll.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:39:14 PM »

Lol!

Most likely that guy didn't even sign the petition, and maybe doesn't even live in Missouri. He's just saying stuff to get attention/shoot down the anti-RTW movement. Same thing as the negative comments below any post on facebook made by a congressperson - the overwhelming majority are from people who don't even live in the congressperson's district.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »

The SoS' Office has said that it is likely that there are enough valid signatures and has given local election authorities until November 1 to review them. Citizens' Veto will be on the ballot November 2018 unless there are some serious shenanigans.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 11:14:25 PM »

^ And will lose by a bigger margin than McCaskill will.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 11:41:12 PM »

I'm curious why you think that. Last time right to work was on the ballot in Missouri, albeit decades ago, it was defeated overwhelmingly. And, even with the increasing Republican bent of the state, numerous Republican state legislators  voted against the bill in the state house and senate, pointing to heavy opposition throughout  Missouri.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 11:54:25 PM »

I'm curious why you think that. Last time right to work was on the ballot in Missouri, albeit decades ago, it was defeated overwhelmingly. And, even with the increasing Republican bent of the state, numerous Republican state legislators  voted against the bill in the state house and senate, pointing to heavy opposition throughout  Missouri.

Decades ago Missouri was a very different state. Remember that it went from voting 5 points more D than the nation in 1992, to 22 points more R than the nation in 2016. Within that time period, it never trended D between one presidential election and the next. Therefore looking at something decades ago is completely meaningless.

The national democratic party is far more toxic than the local democratic party, and McCaskill can tie herself to the local party to a point, plus she has incumbency, and Wagner won't be the senate nominee, so I expect McCaskill to lose by "only" 6 or 7.

The Pro-RTW campaign, meanwhile, will frame the Pro-Union view as coming straight from the national democratic party, and I expect Democrats everywhere to sort of put the ballot measure on the back burner in favor of trying to save McCaskill and the Democratic State Auditor (Both are likely futile efforts, but that doesn't mean dems will abandon either candidate.) I'm not saying that the Pro-Union side will lose by 19 points like Clinton did, as nothing is as toxic as Hillary Clinton, but it'll lose by like 10 or 15.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies