Which of these (former) countries' symbols is it acceptable to display? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:58:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these (former) countries' symbols is it acceptable to display? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In your opinion, which of these countries would you not judge someone negatively for displaying their symbols?
Nazi Germany

Confederate States of America

Soviet Union

Yugoslavia

Other Eastern European communist countries

Fascist Italy

Francoist Spain

British India

Khmer Rouge

Zaire

Apartheid South Africa

German Empire

Ottoman Empire

Japanese Empire

None of these are acceptable

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these (former) countries' symbols is it acceptable to display?  (Read 1989 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 13, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »

Voted Confederate States of America, Yugoslavia, other Eastern bloc countries, fascist Italy, British India, German Empire, Ottoman Empire, and Japanese Empire.

Flying the confederate flag in public isn't really a good idea, but plenty of people who fly it aren't racists and are just doing it for regional pride, so I wouldn't necessarily assume they were racists even if I don't think they should be doing it.

The Yugoslavian flag was just the normal Serbian flag with a red Communist star added right? Don't really see what the problem would be with that. Not sure on the connotation of other Eastern bloc flags, but I don't even think people really fly those anymore. Someone who would want to wold just fly the hammer and sickle instead.

The Mussolini era Italian flag was already the Italian flag before he took over and was just the "Kingdom of Italy" flag, so I also don't see the problem.

Not familiar with the history of the use of British India's flag, but I've never seen white supremacists use it or anything. I would assume that if it's used today it's by Anglo-Indians or people who had some kind of personal/family connection to the Raj.

The WWI era German flag has no connection to Nazis and was just the pre Weimar Republic German flag.

The Ottoman flag is the same as the current Turkish flag, right? (red flag with white star and crescent)

I'm assuming by "Japanese Empire Flag" you just mean the Japanese naval jack, which is still in use today and has just become associated with WWII due to war movies and such.

As for the ones I said were not acceptable-

Nazis, Khmer Rouge, and Apartheid South Africa seem pretty obvious.

Unless its in some kind of comedic Soviet kitsch context I would consider the Soviet hammer and sickle pretty unacceptable. It's taboo in a lot of Eastern Europe.

The Francoist Spanish flag is just the Spanish flag with a fascist eagle crest over the top of it. Can't imagine why anyone would fly that except out of allegiance to fascism.

Not super familiar with the context of the Zaire flag but I don't know why anyone would fly it unless they were a Mobutu supporter. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies