Why Indiana is so conservative ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:39:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why Indiana is so conservative ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why Indiana is so conservative ?  (Read 21173 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2004, 04:29:46 PM »

Indiana is so conservative for one simple reason:

It's the south, without the African-Americans.

Admittedly the northern lake area counties are part of the North and thus make Indiana a little closer to the center than the deep south (Carolinas, Georgia minus Atlanta, ala. , miss. , etc. ) if they all of a sudden lost all their African Americans.

Ohio and Illinois is much the same but they have far larger areas where the white folk are northern white folk, rather than southern white folk. Sorry if that seems offensive, but there really isn't a better way to put it, each minority type varies somewhat by region but caucasians vary wildly by region, some whites are new england liberals, and some are bible belt conservatives and the midwest is where they mix .

My theory on the Klan being so strong in Indiana is that they found it to be a haven of like minded people without too many of the people they hated (er ... still hate) being around.

This sounds about right. There certainly are southern whites who live in the North, and visa versa. The suburbs of Chicago fit in with the North, but most of the state fits in with the South.

What I find interesting is why is the Fort Wayne area so conservative. I've never been there, but I didn't think it was at all southern.

I don't think Ill. (w/o Chicago) and Ind. are comparable politically. Gore would have still won Illinois without Chicago.

As Kghadial said, IL goes to Bush in 2000 without Chicago or Cook Co. Without Cook, Bush wins 1,484,591 to 1,308,041, a comfortable margin. If only the city of Chicago is removed, Bush still wins by 1,862,189 to 1,834,305. All Democrats know they need a big margin in Cook (Gore was +750,000) to offset the rest of the state.

Where did you find these numbers ?

A lot of states vote republican outside their big cities. What would be New York without New York ? Republican ? (frightening)
If you take Philadelphia out of Pennsylvania, is Pennsylvania becoming "solid Bush country" ?

Thank god for the big cities  Wink

Gore won upstate NY with something like 52%.

Indiana is conservative because it's major city, Indianapolis, is much closer to Cincinnati than Cleveland or Chicago. Those keep Ohio a swing and Illinois solidly Democratic. Both states also have lots of union areas, Indiana relatively doesn't. They also border Democratic areas, Illinois with eastern Iowa, Ohio with western Pennsylvania. Indiana is basically what you get if you take all liberal elements out of the midwest.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2004, 06:40:03 PM »

also, I think comparing Indiana to the south is innacurrate. While it may share the same social conservatism as the south, it is not the same politically or culturally. The strip running across Kentucky is much like the south and was heavily Democratic in the "solid south" days, but the Corn Belt like Al has always mentioned has ALWAYS been Republican. But let's backtrack to the 1860's. Back then, the whole Midwest was Republican. Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa and even Minnesota were all Republican strongholds (although Minnesota and Wisconsin have always been pretty progressive states, the Teddy Roosevelt brand of Republicanism is light years away from the current. I would still consider these states to be liberal. Woodrow Wilson, the most progressive President of the era [despite his terrible racism] almost won Minnesota and let's not forget Robert LaFollette.) Indiana was actually the least Republican state of the region and basically a swing, due to the southern strip. Then during the New Deal, all the other states that I mentioned started to switch. Indiana was just left behind, probably due to the fact it wasn't as industrial heavy as those, and has always been more socially conservative.

So in a way, Indiana is much like Arkansas, Louisiana and New Hampshire, it just didn't change with the rest of the region. However even those states are starting to fall in line, and I don't see the same happening to Louisiana.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2004, 02:52:35 PM »

For income etc. try: http://nationalatlas.gov
For the "cornbelt" look at one of the national county maps on the Atlas (Western Ohio/Eastern Indiana... it's very easy to spot. Lots of dark blue)

Do you know what congressional districts that corresponds with?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2004, 03:03:19 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2004, 04:12:25 PM by nclib »

It's got it's own Congressional District.

Kentucky is poorer than Indiania, BTW

Where can I find a map on the web with states ranked by poverty (or by median income) ?
Do Poorer states vote always more democratic ?

Here's a map with higher median income states in red and lower median income states in blue. It looks like higher income states are more likely to vote Democratic.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2004, 03:47:38 PM »

How is Alaska a high income state?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2004, 03:50:30 PM »

Poor counties go Dem... usually...
The average income of a lot of states is exaggerated because urban income per capita is distorted by a few rich b*stards.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2004, 04:14:34 PM »

Actually for median income, wouldn't the very rich outliers not matter (other than counting as above average) ?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2004, 04:19:24 PM »

Sorry I said that wrong...
I meant to add that income is all relative and so on.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2004, 04:27:04 PM »

People there are paid a lot, the cost of living is extremely high.  Also something to do with the oil money perhaps?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2004, 09:14:04 PM »

I don't know much about Alaska, never been, but I can't imagine why the income would be so high. From what I understand that government pays people to live there.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2004, 09:22:15 PM »

I don't know much about Alaska, never been, but I can't imagine why the income would be so high. From what I understand that government pays people to live there.

Jobs pay a lot there to attract people - not that many people want to live in such a godforsaken place.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2004, 09:32:26 PM »

My cousin went on a mission for his church and when he got back he told me the people are really really weird up there.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2004, 08:19:51 AM »

Alaskans probably get isolation pay as they do in Northern Canada. It's quite a lot from what I understand. Also most jobs in Alaska are mineral/ore related and usually pay very well.

As for Indiana, it's conservative simply because it's rural. Gary is heavily democratic, but it's population is very small. Indianapolis is heavily outvoted by it's suburbs.
Jyrki
Rookie
France

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2004, 04:45:59 PM »

also, I think comparing Indiana to the south is innacurrate. While it may share the same social conservatism as the south, it is not the same politically or culturally. The strip running across Kentucky is much like the south and was heavily Democratic in the "solid south" days, but the Corn Belt like Al has always mentioned has ALWAYS been Republican. But let's backtrack to the 1860's. Back then, the whole Midwest was Republican. Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa and even Minnesota were all Republican strongholds (although Minnesota and Wisconsin have always been pretty progressive states, the Teddy Roosevelt brand of Republicanism is light years away from the current. I would still consider these states to be liberal. Woodrow Wilson, the most progressive President of the era [despite his terrible racism] almost won Minnesota and let's not forget Robert LaFollette.) Indiana was actually the least Republican state of the region and basically a swing, due to the southern strip. Then during the New Deal, all the other states that I mentioned started to switch. Indiana was just left behind, probably due to the fact it wasn't as industrial heavy as those, and has always been more socially conservative.

So in a way, Indiana is much like Arkansas, Louisiana and New Hampshire, it just didn't change with the rest of the region. However even those states are starting to fall in line, and I don't see the same happening to Louisiana.

You mean Indiana ?
Jyrki
Rookie
France

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2004, 05:20:41 PM »

Alaskans probably get isolation pay as they do in Northern Canada. It's quite a lot from what I understand. Also most jobs in Alaska are mineral/ore related and usually pay very well.

As for Indiana, it's conservative simply because it's rural. Gary is heavily democratic, but it's population is very small. Indianapolis is heavily outvoted by it's suburbs.

Some states are more rural than Indiana AND less conservative. It's a bit too simple
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2004, 10:15:27 PM »

Some states are more rural than Indiana AND less conservative. It's a bit too simple

This is an interesting point. Indiana's population density is twice the national average and is more dense and less conservative (at least by presidential standards) than about 20 states, including several midwestern states (Minn., Iowa, Wisc., Missouri...).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2004, 10:32:25 PM »

I know somebody that used to work in Alaska.  As an oil engineer he was getting paid $200k.  Alas, now he is one of the many working among failed software company to failed software company in in the good old California economy.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2017, 07:04:38 PM »

Do you think that in the future if the Democratic nominee was from Indianna or the VP, could they win it, assuming the political situation is the same or similar.

Siege40
Yes I think they can I'm looking at obamas 2 point win in Indiana in 2008
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »

LOL this thread./
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »

I love read old random posts on here like how any state bush lost is never going republican or how Indiana will never go democrat it's just funny
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies