Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:07:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters?  (Read 14948 times)
Possiblymaybe
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »

Barack Obama's mother was white. Was that an issue for black voters?

Black people are protective of black women. Some may think of her husband as a tool or a interloper.

She's not even black, so...

Lol what? This is her dad.

Possiblymaybe
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »

kamala is not black! do you people have eyes?

She may be black in terms of how she thinks about herself, due to part of her ancestry.  But in terms of how she is perceived by many Americans, I think you are right.  I don't ever think of her as a black woman.  Whether blacks would tend to think of her as one of their own is a different question, and I really don't know the answer to that.

She's as black as Obama.

Well people policied his blackness too in the beginning. Biracial people seem to confuse some people.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »

I doubt she gets far if she runs though, unless she has some political skills she hasn't shown yet, and kind of suspect she's likely to have a Rubio-esque moment in a debate.

I agree with a lot of your post but I think Booker is more like Rubio. In fact Booker arguably gets more flustered than Rubio does (his interview with Jake Tapper after the Bernie pharma amendment debacle was cringeworthy).

Harris strikes me more as a Scott Walker figure. Great on paper and a capable speaker but might not have the "it" factor.

Actually I would say the main thing Harris has going for her right now is the it factor. 
She's charismatic and personable I could see her do very well on the talk show circuit for instance.

The idea that she's non conciliatory is probably based on the senate hearings when she slipped into prosecutor mode. Seen enough to know that's not all there is.Actually think she sometimes needs to be bolder, more Bernie or warren than Obama, because the political climate in the trump era is different from what it was when Obama emerged.  But you also have to acknowledge that black politicians have a  trickier job in terms of walking the fine line between being seen as outspoken and "angry black male/female".
Out of the two black contenders.Booker strikes me as someone who is always in serious speech mode (which he's admittedly quite good at) Harris seems a lot more relaxed in public speeches and gets bonus points for being quite funny. He just doesn't seem as quick witted and sharp as her so I think she'd probably do better in debates. 

Her problems re 2020 is imo her lack of experience and being too left on things like gun control and immigration for a GE. I think 2020 is too soon for her. I'd imagine she will be on every white male candidate short list as VP though.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2017, 11:55:54 AM by Possiblymaybe »

I doubt she gets far if she runs though, unless she has some political skills she hasn't shown yet, and kind of suspect she's likely to have a Rubio-esque moment in a debate.

I agree with a lot of your post but I think Booker is more like Rubio. In fact Booker arguably gets more flustered than Rubio does (his interview with Jake Tapper after the Bernie pharma amendment debacle was cringeworthy).

Harris strikes me more as a Scott Walker figure. Great on paper and a capable speaker but might not have the "it" factor.

Agreed. I think Gillibrand is positioning herself well. Klobuchar is also a reasonable candidates for the moderate wing. Booker is worse than Harris. He retweets cringe worthy praises & replies to dozens of ridiculous fan queries & hate tweets. He also seems fake & flustered easily.

Harris is probably better than Booker & is smarter & more composed but looks dull/uninspiring. If she is smart she will wait for 2024. She is not ready. Her inexperience showed during the CIA Director questioning. Al Franken would have been a terrific candidate (maybe not a good president but would be a good campaigner).

Totally agree she's not ready but klobuchar and gillibrand better positioned?
Are we talking primary or GE here? Only if Harris and booker split the black vote would they be better positioned.
Harris is simultaneously overhyped and underestimated on atlas, she's easily the most viable of the "younger" females despite lack of experience. Klobuchar is a solid politician and more well rounded on policy right now but she's extremely bland and won't energise people on the campaign trail.Gillibrand is much better at this but just from what I see on social media Harris seems to excite people more, especially females and POC. I think she would have a much bigger tent. In a primary perhaps Gillibrand would play better to a certain type of white voter. But I can also see Trump crush her in debates.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »

kamala is not black! do you people have eyes?

She may be black in terms of how she thinks about herself, due to part of her ancestry.  But in terms of how she is perceived by many Americans, I think you are right.  I don't ever think of her as a black woman.  Whether blacks would tend to think of her as one of their own is a different question, and I really don't know the answer to that.

She's as black as Obama.

Among other things, Obama has also developed a speaking style that identifies him with a black oratory tradition. And in the literal sense of pigmentation, I would say Obama is closer to Harris' dad's skin tone than to hers.

This thread lol

Obama and Harris look like siblings imo.

As for "developing a black speaking style" (whatever that means) I am gonna guess she will be fine.
" the family lived in a predominantly African-American neighborhood and where the girls sang in a Baptist choir" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies