Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2017, 04:21:04 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination"  (Read 2079 times)
AKCreative
Nyvin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2017, 04:34:57 pm »
Ignore

The option that makes the most sense to me for TX-35 is to have TX-35 moved entirely within Bexar and then move TX-21 out of Bexar and move it into Travis as much as possible.   

I would think the Legislature is going to do something along those lines.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2017, 06:38:51 pm »
Ignore

The option that makes the most sense to me for TX-35 is to have TX-35 moved entirely within Bexar and then move TX-21 out of Bexar and move it into Travis as much as possible.   

I would think the Legislature is going to do something along those lines.

Lamar Smith is a committee chairman.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:43 pm »
Ignore

Pwned. 5-4!

Losers of elections are going to have a tough time stealing the districts.

Link

BREAKING: #SCOTUS stays Texas redistricting case order, pending appeal to and disposition in the Supreme Court.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2017, 07:37:53 pm »
Ignore

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

BREAKING: #SCOTUS stays Texas redistricting case order, pending appeal to and disposition in the Supreme Court.
See the partisan racist is happy the racist GOP can continue to use illegal maps.

krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 07:39:17 pm »
Ignore

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

illegal maps.

Hahahaha, lol. Says who?
AKCreative
Nyvin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 08:36:20 am »
Ignore

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

They just stayed the decision until a final ruling is made,  it doesn't affect much, except that the district won't go into effect right away.
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:43 pm »
Ignore

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

They just stayed the decision until a final ruling is made,  it doesn't affect much, except that the district won't go into effect right away.

5 votes indicated that Texas is likely to win on the merits.

I tried to tell folks that there would be no redistricting and that thievery would fail.
Saturday's Cab Ride Home
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2017, 06:14:50 pm »
Ignore

Pwned. 5-4!

Link

5 votes indicated that Texas is likely to win on the merits.

I tried to tell folks that there would be no redistricting and that thievery would fail.

Uh, no you didn't.

Great news!

I am going to draw a new map to fortify TX-07 and TX-32 while also preserving the GOP districts.

Figueira
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2017, 05:45:22 am »
Ignore

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/16/1690288/-Court-strikes-down-Texas-GOP-s-congressional-gerrymander-but-Democratic-victory-is-limited

DKos estimates it'll be at most a net 1 for Democrats, but even that's no guaranteed. I really don't get why they emphasize that the new representative will most likely be Latino. No wonder the white working class hates the left: this is blatant identity politics.
Ah yes, the white working class hate that the minorities will have a chance to elect people of their own race.  Very progressive of them.

You don't need a majority minority district to elect a minority candidate. See SC-Sen, UT-4, TX-23 is 75% Hispanic and they have a black representative. People don't necessarily vote based on who looks like them. I mean for next year, I'm a Hispanic college student supporting a black candidate for NH-1

"increasing minority representation" means increasing minorities' ability to choose representatives, not increasing the number of minorities in Congress.

Note: I am not actually British.

AKCreative
Nyvin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2017, 08:19:10 am »
Ignore

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/16/1690288/-Court-strikes-down-Texas-GOP-s-congressional-gerrymander-but-Democratic-victory-is-limited

DKos estimates it'll be at most a net 1 for Democrats, but even that's no guaranteed. I really don't get why they emphasize that the new representative will most likely be Latino. No wonder the white working class hates the left: this is blatant identity politics.
Ah yes, the white working class hate that the minorities will have a chance to elect people of their own race.  Very progressive of them.

You don't need a majority minority district to elect a minority candidate. See SC-Sen, UT-4, TX-23 is 75% Hispanic and they have a black representative. People don't necessarily vote based on who looks like them. I mean for next year, I'm a Hispanic college student supporting a black candidate for NH-1

"increasing minority representation" means increasing minorities' ability to choose representatives, not increasing the number of minorities in Congress.

This is so annoying when people just equate a minority district to having minority representatives....sheesh!
muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2017, 09:13:37 pm »

This is so annoying when people just equate a minority district to having minority representatives....sheesh!

But there's a careful balance to avoid using minorities to elect white Dems to the point that the Congress becomes unrepresentative of minorities. That's why the VRA was passed and upheld by SCOTUS.

Great American Eclipse seconds before totality showing Baily's Beads.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout