Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:30:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas: CD35, CD27 found unconstitutional; "intentional racial discrimination"  (Read 4777 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: September 15, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/16/1690288/-Court-strikes-down-Texas-GOP-s-congressional-gerrymander-but-Democratic-victory-is-limited

DKos estimates it'll be at most a net 1 for Democrats, but even that's no guaranteed. I really don't get why they emphasize that the new representative will most likely be Latino. No wonder the white working class hates the left: this is blatant identity politics.
Ah yes, the white working class hate that the minorities will have a chance to elect people of their own race.  Very progressive of them.

You don't need a majority minority district to elect a minority candidate. See SC-Sen, UT-4, TX-23 is 75% Hispanic and they have a black representative. People don't necessarily vote based on who looks like them. I mean for next year, I'm a Hispanic college student supporting a black candidate for NH-1

"increasing minority representation" means increasing minorities' ability to choose representatives, not increasing the number of minorities in Congress.

This is so annoying when people just equate a minority district to having minority representatives....sheesh!

But there's a careful balance to avoid using minorities to elect white Dems to the point that the Congress becomes unrepresentative of minorities. That's why the VRA was passed and upheld by SCOTUS.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies