Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:07:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28]
Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 60127 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: September 09, 2005, 03:39:50 PM »
« edited: September 09, 2005, 03:51:35 PM by Emsworth »

The issue of abortion should be left to the purview of the states -it is not for the courts to decide, and never should have been. 
Precisely my view as well. There is no constitutional justification for Roe v. Wade.

However, I personally feel that a government should permit abortions throughout a pregnancy. Moral decisions should not be made by the state, but by individuals, when the rights of another person (which a fetus is not) are not involved.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #676 on: September 09, 2005, 03:58:25 PM »

http://www.abortionfacts.com/reardon/statistics.asp

24% have had more than one.  That's sick.  And 95% are not at all satisfied with their choice.  47% had physical complications as a result of the abortion.  47% chose to have an abortion for "social acceptance" reason.

Rin-chan
It is for those reasons why we should discourage abortion as much as we discourage smoking, which is just as unhealthy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #677 on: September 10, 2005, 04:03:27 AM »

The issue of abortion should be left to the purview of the states -it is not for the courts to decide, and never should have been. 
Precisely my view as well. There is no constitutional justification for Roe v. Wade.

However, I personally feel that a government should permit abortions throughout a pregnancy. Moral decisions should not be made by the state, but by individuals, when the rights of another person (which a fetus is not) are not involved.

No, I think that the issue of abortion should never be left to the States - it should be for the courts to decide.

And Emsworth, there is a perfectly good 'constitutional justification' for the courts to intervene - the right to privacy.  (though I couldn't care less, as the constitution is not a particularly useful document)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #678 on: September 10, 2005, 07:32:31 AM »

And Emsworth, there is a perfectly good 'constitutional justification' for the courts to intervene - the right to privacy.
The "right to privacy" is a legal fiction and a manufacture of unsound reasoning during Earl Warren's tenure.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #679 on: September 10, 2005, 09:06:12 AM »

And Emsworth, there is a perfectly good 'constitutional justification' for the courts to intervene - the right to privacy.
The "right to privacy" is a legal fiction and a manufacture of unsound reasoning during Earl Warren's tenure.

Amen that that Emsworth. Why don't you wear a yellow avatar though?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #680 on: September 10, 2005, 09:17:26 AM »

Amen that that Emsworth. Why don't you wear a yellow avatar though?
Good question. I've always felt that the Libertarian Party is a little too extreme. For example, their platform says that they "support the repeal of all taxation." Also, I don't particularly like their excessively non-interventionist approach to foreign policy.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #681 on: September 10, 2005, 07:48:37 PM »

hey, I think every yellow avatar poster here realizes getting rid of all taxation is ridiculous.  We just want a very very small amount of our money going to government.  As far as interventionism goes, it's the party's dividing issue.  John Dibble seems to be more on the interventionism side.  We'd love to have you Emsworth.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #682 on: September 10, 2005, 07:54:12 PM »

hey, I think every yellow avatar poster here realizes getting rid of all taxation is ridiculous.  We just want a very very small amount of our money going to government.  As far as interventionism goes, it's the party's dividing issue.  John Dibble seems to be more on the interventionism side.  We'd love to have you Emsworth.
What about the fact that you nominate candidates with names like Zzzisatesgetsdzagezzoerzesky?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies