Is Sherrod Brown the most likely white male to be the 2020 Dem. VP nominee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:09:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Sherrod Brown the most likely white male to be the 2020 Dem. VP nominee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Sherrod Brown the most likely white male to be the 2020 Dem. VP nominee?  (Read 887 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2017, 03:03:19 PM »

Seems like, in the event that:

1) He's reelected next year, which certainly seems more likely than not, and
2) The Dems manage to retake the Ohio governorship, which allows Brown's successor to be appointed by a Democratic governor (this is much dicier, but certainly possible), then

Brown is the odds on favorite to be the 2020 Dem. VP nominee.  In fact, even factoring in the fact that those two things are uncertain, I'd still put him as the favorite.  The one main argument against him would be if the presidential nominee wanted a "diversity" pick.  If, say, Biden or (lol) Cuomo is the presidential nominee, then there's a good chance they'd pick a racial minority or a woman.  But if the presidential nominee is Warren or Harris or Booker or Gillibrand, then yeah, Brown would be high on the list.  Heck, if the presidential nominee is Bernie Sanders, I'd say Brown is also high on the list, as Sanders's age will mean that he'll want to pick a running mate who is both qualified to take over as president and committed to carrying out his economic agenda, and there are only so many people who qualify.

It's also possible that someone breaks out in the 2020 primaries but doesn't win the nomination, and that puts them on a fast track to the vice presidency, a la Kerry picking Edwards in '04.  But more often than not, the VP pick isn't someone who ran for president that year.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »

He's definitely underrated as a potential candidate, but if Democrats can't win the gubernatorial race in Ohio, that makes his situation complicated.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:45:26 PM »

He's easily the biggest dark horse on the Democratic side of the aisle. There were a few rumblings right after the election about a potential candidacy from him but not anymore. He's almost completely out of the discussion as of right now and that's a good thing for him this early on.

If I'm not mistaken he stated at one point something along the lines of "Everybody says they aren't running until they run." I think he'll jump into 2020. 

I think the reason the rumblings have subsided is because of his re-election campaign. Like Morden said, if he's re-elected (likely) and a Democrat wins the governorship (dicey), then talk of Brown will increase.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:17:51 PM »

Brown being on the ticket would be a bad decision even if Dems win the Ohio governorship. There's no way some random state legislator manages to hold on to a seat in ruby-red Ohio.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »

No, not with his wife-beating past. I don't even think he's the likeliest Ohioan 2020 Democratic VP nominee -- that would be Tim Ryan, who has more obvious national ambitions and fewer obvious skeletons in his closet (though I guess he did used to work for Traficant).
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »

No, not with his wife-beating past.

If this posed a serious problem for him then why did he get elected as senator twice in a purple/lean red state? Also a senator is far more likely to run than a representative.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »

Brown being on the ticket would be a bad decision even if Dems win the Ohio governorship. There's no way some random state legislator manages to hold on to a seat in ruby-red Ohio.

That may be, but most presidential nominees don't think that way when deciding on a running mate.  Heck, Clinton reportedly gave Brown serious consideration for VP last year, despite the fact that Kasich would have picked his replacement.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »

I don't think the Democrats will have a White Male on the ticket at all (and the ticket might even be something like Castro/Booker or Booker/Harris).
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »

He's extremely underrated and one of the few candidates who would appeal to both Bernie and Clinton supporters.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »

Btw, as discussed in the Tea Leaves thread, this WaPo piece from last month definitely makes it sound like Brown was eager to run as VP last year, had Clinton picked him:

WaPo has a new story on Sherrod Brown in which he’s asked about running for prez in 2020, and he says “I just don’t want to do it”:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/sherrod-brown-thinks-he-could-have-helped-democrats-win-in-2016-but-what-about-2020/2017/07/23/168ac16c-6b2d-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.f5c85a999a39

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The story also includes a lot of discussion about Brown’s participation in the veepstakes last year.  Despite his current denial of interest in running for prez, he says that he “relished” the idea of campaigning in other Midwestern states, had he been the VP nominee last year:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 08:35:02 PM »

Assuming Biden or Sanders don't run/win, then yes, I'd say he's got as good a shot as any other white male, and is definitely on the short list (as of now, that is).

Morden, I disagree that Brown would be likely in the case of a Sanders win.  Sure, Sanders would want someone that shared his economic vision, but who Sanders wants, and who Sanders would ultimately pick, are two different things.  

There would be too much pressure for him to pick a minority, female, or both.  This would be further aggravated by the fact that if Sanders is winning, that means he most likely beat a female, or a minority, or both (a la Harris).  There is likely to be a lot of discord in the party because of that, and the pressure for Sanders to pick a non-white male will be too great for him.

Consider that Sanders has not particularly shown a lot of backbone when it comes to standing up to challenges.  Take his stance on illegal immigration, which he pulled a sudden, complete 180 on because of a Vox interview with Ezra Klein, of all people.  He'd cave even faster on this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies