Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 02:17:10 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: AndrewTX, Likely Voter, TJ in Wisco)
| | |-+  Will she or won't she?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: Is Elizabeth Warren going to run?
Yes.
Yes, but she's gonna quite before Iowa.
No.
Show Pie Chart

Author Topic: Will she or won't she?  (Read 1203 times)
mileslunn
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2017, 09:39:23 pm »
Ignore

Sorry, I don't buy the broader appeal tning. It's nonexistent in the US. Stop chasing Republican votes and go after Democrats instead. How's that for a novel idea?

It comes with the territory of having the Electoral College elect Presidents.

You need to excite the progressive base in the US. Wareen can do that. Hillary couldn't. Maybe Democrats need to start chasing their own base before touting the backing of Henry Kissinger.

That assumes there is a large enough progressive base to win off.  My understanding of the US is it is a fairly conservative country and a lot of Americans believe in American exceptionalism so anything that is seen as making the US more like Europe (or as a matter of fact Canada too) tends to be a tough sell.

Remind me again of what issues Stephen Harper and Andrew Scheer are to the left of even Ted Cruz on?

I cannot read their mind, but on policies plenty.  Neither advocate a 10% flat tax.  Maybe they favour tax cuts for the rich but the top marginal rate under them was still over 40% when you add in the provincial rates whereas under Cruz it would have been in the teens.  Neither have called for abolishing Revenue Canada.  Neither support concealed carry and neither support outright privatization of health care.  Yes they may favour a parallel private system like you have in Britain, Australia, and New Zealand (and in fact we already sort of have it Canada, I get an MRI by paying and will be getting shoulder surgery at a private pay clinic), but not outright privatization like the US.  Scheer and Harper would be similar to Kasich on the political spectrum which is very right wing by Canadian standards by quite middle of the road by American.  Someone like Justin Trudeau wouldn't be able to win on the platform he ran on last election.  Yes he probably could win in the US, due to his charisma but he would have to run on a very different platform (I don't think he has that strong a principles and suspect he would run on a different one if he lived in the US).

Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2017, 09:42:18 pm »
Ignore

Ohio has become too Republican. If Kasich runs, which I'm assuming, Brown will have no chance. Kasich is way too popular.

It swung hard towards the GOP the past presidential election, but Obama won it both times, so we shall see.  Lets remember the Midwest in 2008 was one of the areas that swung most heavily towards Obama just like it did for Trump, so I think with the economy struggling it could be more a case of swinging against the incumbent.  We will have a better idea after 2020 if Ohio is going the way of Missouri or it's just a blip.

I think you misquoted the posters here Tongue

Orange County Suburbanite

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout