What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:50:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Poll
Question: What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
proud emblem of Southern heritage

reminder of slavery and segregation

whites are superior to blacks

something else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 136

Author Topic: What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?  (Read 49118 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2005, 12:33:57 PM »

The Confederate battle flag, called the "Southern Cross" or the cross of St. Andrew, has been described variously as a proud emblem of Southern heritage and as a shameful reminder of slavery and segregation.

In the past, several Southern states flew the Confederate battle flag along with the U.S. and state flags over their statehouses.

Others incorporated the controversial symbol into the design of their state flags. The Confederate battle flag has also been appropriated by the Ku Klux Klan and other racist hate groups. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols.

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 12:37:19 PM »

To me? Nothing. It's a flag, nothing else. It has historical relevance, but I don't really care that much about it.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 12:41:32 PM »

Rebellion.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 12:47:28 PM »

It doesn't really mean anything to, except it does make me think of the Dukes of Hazzard.

I can understand why many black people might be offended by it, though.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 01:31:54 PM »

History.  That, and Dukes of Hazzard.  hahaha

edit: Scoonie, I just saw that you put the same thing.  hahaha
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 01:33:16 PM »

Something that irritates certain people, and is therefore good
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 04:32:44 PM »

i would say option 1
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 04:37:52 PM »

In the modern culture, it is a sign that indicates rebellion, I think. Southern heritage is debatable because of the cultural upsurge that accompanied the Confederate flag. Which is all surely okay, since so many say it's okay under the 1st amendment to burn an American flag. Whoever and whichever organization would argue that the first amendment protects flag burning certainly shouldn't be opposed to the Confederate flag - anywhere.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 05:21:17 PM »

Option 1, obviously.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 05:28:35 PM »

It's a symbol of Southern Heritage and a symbol of the brave men that flew it in battle.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 08:04:18 PM »

A beautiful flag of the true Americans, not the tretcherous north.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 08:12:51 PM »

A beautiful flag of the true Americans, not the tretcherous north.

You know, I think this is the first time I've seen someone who isn't even an American, much less someone not from the South, who gets bent out of shape over the Civil War and curses the North.

It's an odd sight, to say the least.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 08:18:25 PM »

I have 5 flags in my room.  A Canadian one, American, Confederate, Israeli, and Afrikaner.

Of those, the two most valued flags are the Confederate and Afrikaner.  Two oppressed peoples.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 08:32:04 PM »

I voted something else.  It means little to me.

I think too much is made of the supposedly oppressive symbolism behind the confederate flag.  The reality is that slavery took place under the stars and stripes as well as the stars and bars.  Should we get rid of the stars and stripes?

I also think that people that obsess over the confederate flag are wrong for two reasons.  First, practically speaking, they are avoiding the reality of today's problems by focusing on symbols of the past.  If they spend half the energy trying to fix today's problems as they did worrying about what happened 150 years ago, or even 50 years ago, they'd be in much better shape than they are.  The "civil rights" movement is so bankrupt at this point; they are devoid of any ideas for dealing with today's problems, other than blaming other people for all their problems and obsessing on things like the confederate flag.

Second, the attack on the confederate flag is ultimately an attack on the whole legitimacy of our society.  Does anybody really believe that if we appease these people by getting rid of the confederate flag, they'll actually be satisfied?  The truth is that they will never be satisfied; they consider our entire society corrupt and don't really see redeeming qualities in it.  Their issue is not really with the confederate flag or white southerners; it is with all of us.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 09:01:43 PM »

It should be banned.

The only legit flag should be the regular Stars and Bars.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 09:05:02 PM »

It should be banned.

The only legit flag should be the regular Stars and Bars.
Why limit freedom of speech? Its just a flag.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 09:09:16 PM »

Uh..... the Civil War... >_>
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 09:27:43 PM »

Option 1
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 09:30:40 PM »

Regarding the question at hand, option 4 - I don't give a damn about the Confederate flag, because I am normal, and I don't regularly pay attention to what the great-great-grandfathers of people I don't know may have done.

I think too much is made of the supposedly oppressive symbolism behind the confederate flag.  The reality is that slavery took place under the stars and stripes as well as the stars and bars.  Should we get rid of the stars and stripes?

I also think that people that obsess over the confederate flag are wrong for two reasons.  First, practically speaking, they are avoiding the reality of today's problems by focusing on symbols of the past.  If they spend half the energy trying to fix today's problems as they did worrying about what happened 150 years ago, or even 50 years ago, they'd be in much better shape than they are.  The "civil rights" movement is so bankrupt at this point; they are devoid of any ideas for dealing with today's problems, other than blaming other people for all their problems and obsessing on things like the confederate flag.

Second, the attack on the confederate flag is ultimately an attack on the whole legitimacy of our society.  Does anybody really believe that if we appease these people by getting rid of the confederate flag, they'll actually be satisfied?  The truth is that they will never be satisfied; they consider our entire society corrupt and don't really see redeeming qualities in it.  Their issue is not really with the confederate flag or white southerners; it is with all of us.

I mostly agree with you, but I think it should be noted that the opponents of the Confederate flag are not the only ones who use what happened 150 years ago against other people - those who go around asserting that Lincoln was a tyrant and that the North is evil, etc., are just as guilty of this.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 10:14:34 PM »

Opt. 3:  Apparent sufficient numbers of people incl. (non-Southerners like George Allen) have found it incumbent upon themselves to display the thing even though they have no relatives that fought so valiantly under said flag (what some might call heritage).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »

A symbol that some traitors who got their asses kicked flew more than a hundred years ago, and that some rednecks fly today because they can't get over those traitors getting their asses kicked.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 10:45:14 PM »

I mostly agree with you, but I think it should be noted that the opponents of the Confederate flag are not the only ones who use what happened 150 years ago against other people - those who go around asserting that Lincoln was a tyrant and that the North is evil, etc., are just as guilty of this.

I'd have to say I think you're right.  I don't agree with southern extremism just as I don't agree with a blanket indictment of the south.

I think at this point we should just forget the civil war.  I can't understand why so many people still seem to be so obsessed with it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 10:58:57 PM »

I think at this point we should just forget the civil war.  I can't understand why so many people still seem to be so obsessed with it.

As a Canadian, I can't claim to understand American feelings regarding the civil war, so I have to say that I'm glad to hear an American say that.  These endless debates over who was right in the civil war never really seem to do much of anything, other than to pit Northerners against Southerners in a contest to see who can accuse the other of the most crimes against humanity.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2005, 11:10:47 PM »

A symbol of pure clarity
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 11:13:08 PM »

Something else. I plan on starting a business that sells toilet paper with confederate flags on it, so you can wipe your shitty ass on it. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies