What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 01:25:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Poll
Question: What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?
proud emblem of Southern heritage

reminder of slavery and segregation

whites are superior to blacks

something else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 136

Author Topic: What does the Confederate Flag mean to you?  (Read 49432 times)
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2006, 06:47:17 PM »

Ignorance, racism, bigotry, hatred, slavery, white supremacy, segregation, rednecks, illiteracy, Jim Crow, immorality, gilder, philistinism...

Funny,  I think some of the same things upon seeing  Old Glory.  Ignorance, apparently knows no boundaries.  Oh, wait, it *IS* more prevalent among those who are supposedly more educated than anyone else.
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »

Ignorance, racism, bigotry, hatred, slavery, white supremacy, segregation, rednecks, illiteracy, Jim Crow, immorality, gilder, philistinism...

Funny,  I think some of the same things upon seeing  Old Glory.  Ignorance, apparently knows no boundaries.  Oh, wait, it *IS* more prevalent among those who are supposedly more educated than anyone else.

No, 'old glory' means pretty much the same awful things as the confederate flag means - Racism, genocide, intolerance, etc.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2006, 07:51:03 PM »

No, 'old glory' means pretty much the same awful things as the confederate flag means - Racism, genocide, intolerance, etc.

That's crossing the line. Angry
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »

How about treason?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2006, 07:55:52 PM »

0 (zero)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2006, 09:00:11 PM »

A reminder of a rebellion which wasn't supressed harsh enough.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2006, 12:56:40 AM »

My extensive study of the history of the issue has led me, without a doubt, to see it as a symbol of racism and hatred.  This is not to say that there are those who are proud of it without seeing it this way, but I feel that they are misguided in being selective in their views of history.

I'd ask for a refund on your history education in that case. Someone ripped you off.

Oh, I did it myself.  Using hundreds of primary documents from a period of about 100 years.

Like you, I am a scholar of the Civil War.  It's interesting how different our preceptions of its outcome are.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2006, 02:30:15 AM »

How about treason?

Yep, Lincoln did commit treason.
skybridge
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2006, 03:02:15 AM »

How about treason?

Not sure about that one. Just about every flag in the world represents that.

Forgot genocide Smiley

But seriously, was there a systematic killing of the second-class citizens? You know I'm not the one to argue that there was anything noble about their deeds, but that's what it would take to be defined as genocide.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2006, 03:14:45 AM »

How about treason?

So if a bunch of people in Idaho decided to get together and secede from the U.S. without the consent of the government, overthrew the laws, seized government property, and attacked government buildings, you would support the flag they flew under?
skybridge
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2006, 03:47:17 AM »

How about treason?

So if a bunch of people in Idaho decided to get together and secede from the U.S. without the consent of the government, overthrew the laws, seized government property, and attacked government buildings, you would support the flag they flew under?

I didn't say I support it. My point was that, in that case, the Confederate flag doesn't distinguish itself.
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2006, 06:32:24 AM »

How about treason?

Forgot genocide Smiley

But seriously, was there a systematic killing of the second-class citizens? You know I'm not the one to argue that there was anything noble about their deeds, but that's what it would take to be defined as genocide.

okay, maybe not genocide, but certainly a distinct  persecution of other citizens to reach what was desired.  Wounded Knee, Trail of Tears, Little Bighorn, Internment Camps during WWII, any of that ringing a bell?
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2006, 10:13:31 PM »

I am not a southerner, and am not racist.  I believe that in most cases the Confederate Flag stands for State's rights.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2006, 10:44:57 PM »

Freedom is what it stands for.

Larry needs to be impailed upon one of these flagpoles.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:39 AM »

How about treason?

Yep, Lincoln did commit treason.
You're right about lincoln commiting treason. He didn't expel the white southerners.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2006, 12:59:11 PM »

To me, personally, the Confederate Flag is the of the last group, prior to 9/11, to invade my state.  I have no intention of flying it.

That said, I also understand that the flag is flown to honor the soldiers of that army that fought bravely and honorably under it.  While they held political views that would not have agreed with at the time, that does not take away from their service.  In that respect and used for that purpose, it should be tolerated.   And as Plant City Rebel correctly pointed out, some of those that fought bravely and honorably happened to be Black (and Amerindian); their memory is honored by that use as well.

Those of you who fly it, however, must remember that it my life time, the flag was expropriated to claim that White people were superior to Black people.  Please understand that many people only see the flag as that.  Be sensitive to it and be clear why you are really flying it.

And while your at it, recognize that many of the descendants of the slaves and the descendants of the slaves have some common ancestors.  Recognize it, and embrace it; let the descendants of the slaves realize that it is their flag too. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2006, 01:43:53 PM »

To me, personally, the Confederate Flag is the of the last group, prior to 9/11, to invade my state.  I have no intention of flying it.
The last group full stop. Don't be ridiculous.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2006, 03:49:12 PM »

I'm surprised this thread is still going.  Smiley  I had to go back and double-check what I had said initially.  hehehe
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2006, 04:05:12 PM »

They make little cel phone covers with the battle flag of the confederacy now.  Have you seen those? 

Apparently I voted here before.  Have I posted here.  Can't remember.  I must have voted here, since it's already picked.  Anyway, I think the battle flag is a pretty flag.  Very symmetric.  Not unlike the Jamaican Flag.  In fact, they're probably of the same point group.  D4H I think.  I like symmetric flags.  I'm guessing I voted "something else" but I really can't remember.  Anyway, I would say "something else" other than the choices listed.  Mostly it means:  Kill American Soldiers.  Which is kinda creepy.

Still, it's a very pretty flag.  Not as pretty as the jamaican flag, which is sort of the same design, just in better colors.  And without the stars.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »

Apparently I voted here before.  Have I posted here.  Can't remember.  I must have voted here, since it's already picked. 

Anyway, I would say "something else" other than the choices listed.  Mostly it means:  Kill American Soldiers.  Which is kinda creepy.

You voted Option 1:

Hmmm.  I'll go with option one I suppose.

More importantly, what does Michael Jackson's one white glove mean to you? 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2006, 04:17:22 PM »

much obliged.  furthermore, it can't possibly be D4H.  what was I thinking??

Definitely not D4H.  I must be a little tired. 
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2006, 04:24:34 PM »

It means "please slash my tires" up here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2006, 05:16:37 PM »

The last group full stop. Don't be ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but my state was effectively invaded by a small group on 9/11.  They actually flew over my cemetery plot on the way down.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2006, 06:35:05 PM »

It means "please slash my tires" up here.

Your opinions would result the same way down here, thankfully!
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2006, 08:48:06 AM »

There's tons of rednecks here in north GA who have the Confederate Flag waving in their front yards, or a sticker of it on the back of their trucks.  It's pretty annoying.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies