Voting on Southeast Bill of Rights - Legal Question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:33:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Voting on Southeast Bill of Rights - Legal Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voting on Southeast Bill of Rights - Legal Question  (Read 524 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2005, 01:09:39 PM »

My fellow Southeasterners,

In conducting the elections during the Governor's absence, I made the mistake of including neither proposed Bill of Rights Amendment on the ballot.  Bono's proposal should have been included despite receiving no signatures because the Governor has the authority to place any initiative on the ballot.  Dubya's proposal received a sufficient number of signatures, and thus also should have been placed on the ballot.

In reviewing the Southeast Constitution, the Election Regulations, and the text of Initiative 4: Monthly Initiative Amendment Initiative, I believe it is legal for a regional official to open another initiative vote at the current time, provided that it begins during this third weekend of the month.  This vote would last at least 60 hours and could be voted on beside the other election booth.

If no one provides an alternate reading of the appropriate legal documents, I will open a second voting booth for Initiatives 60 and 61, the Bill of Rights initiatives, or I will defer to another regional official if someone else wishes to conduct this vote.

In the future, it might be easier to compile the initiatives if there is a single thread for all initiatives for that month.  Furthermore, I believe some changes to the Constitution may be needed to better define certain procedures in the absence of precedent.

I am sorry for letting down the authors of these initiatives as well as the voting public of the region.

Sincerely,
Q
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 01:27:53 PM »

I fear that people will overlook one booth thinking their voting is over. In my opinion, we should wait either until next week or until next month to vote on these amendments, seeing how they've already lost 11 hours of voting time. That is completely up to you Q, just my opinion on what should be done.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 01:37:10 PM »

I fear that people will overlook one booth thinking their voting is over. In my opinion, we should wait either until next week or until next month to vote on these amendments, seeing how they've already lost 11 hours of voting time. That is completely up to you Q, just my opinion on what should be done.

Valid points, Jake.

Voting would still be required to last for at least 60 hours, to end on Monday rather than Sunday if voting begins today.  So actually, per the law, this election would last a bit longer even than the other one would, since they must end at 11:59 pm Central at least 60 hours after beginning.

Bono and Dubya, what do you want to do on this?  A vote could be held right now, but it might receive less attention that if it were left to next month.

Once again, I'm very sorry about all this.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »

Certainly not your fault Q. Bono should've had the ballot prepared and posted well in advance of the election to save you and I the hassle of posting one with seconds left.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 02:05:41 PM »

It's certainly not your fault, Q, at all.  The ballot should have been prepared and ready to go.  I can sympathize, because I've had to do this sort of thing before without any warning.

As to the Bill of Rights initiatives, I feel two voting booths would make things too complicated.  We should just leave them till next month's initiative election.
WiseGuy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 02:53:11 PM »

I don't hold you at fault either, Q.  I'd be fine with holding my initiative back till September.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 04:15:15 AM »

Certainly not your fault Q. Bono should've had the ballot prepared and posted well in advance of the election to save you and I the hassle of posting one with seconds left.

I have been here for two freaking weeks. I couldn't have possibly prepared it before because new initiatives could have come up. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and you don't know what goes on in my life or if that would be possible or no, so next time try speaking based on knowledge of cause.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 01:24:26 PM »

Good thing you're about to be relieved of your smothering duties then.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies