Why were Vermont and Massachusetts hardcore Whig states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:44:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why were Vermont and Massachusetts hardcore Whig states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why were Vermont and Massachusetts hardcore Whig states?  (Read 495 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2017, 03:22:20 AM »

Before the Republican Party even existed, Vermont and Massachusetts were hardcore Whig states that have never voted Democrat until the Twentieth Century. Why the trend?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2017, 09:50:19 AM by TDAS04 »

Whigs were generally (but far from exclusively) the more Northern-oriented, more antislavery party.  

I'm not entirely sure though.  I have been puzzled by the sharp partisan divides within New England during the Second Party System.  Why were New Hampshire and Maine such hardcore (Jacksonian) Democratic states?

Vermont and Massachusetts seemed to have been the most staunchly abolitionist states.  Even though there were antislavery Democrats in the North--and Whigs in the South were proslavery--Democrats tended to be the party associated with the Slave Power.  Few of the staunchest abolitionists were Democrats, while the most horribly racist defenders of slavery tended to belong the the party of Jackson.  That might have had something to do with why Vermont and Massachusetts were such Whig strongholds, but I'm not certain.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies