Non-political 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:31:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Non-political 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: Non-political 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Megathread  (Read 17958 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »

The 12z GFS run has Jose rolling around in the Atlantic before making a direct hit to NYC.  Joe Bastardi is already entertaining a US landfall for Jose but it is too early to tell.

Now a direct NYC hit is very unlikely.

I've been monitoring the Euro forecast for Jose for several days now, and it never expected Jose to turn the same way Sandy did (remember, the Euro forecast said that Sandy would turn inland a week in advance while other models were saying otherwise).

Sandy track is unlikely, but there's a worrying trend where the track itself is shifting west as Irma's did, and given where it's at an East Coast track (similar to Gloria in 1985) can't really be ruled out.

Recently, it's been shifting eastward rather than westward. Only real risk is that the sharp eastward turn happens slower than expected, causing Jose to clip Cape Cod.
Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2017, 05:45:43 PM »

Looks like another storm has formed, Maria, and it's projected path has the storm hitting the Leeward Islands on Monday/Tuesday and hitting Puerto Rico on Wednesday.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/204552.shtml?cone#contents
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »

Looks like another storm has formed, Maria, and it's projected path has the storm hitting the Leeward Islands on Monday/Tuesday and hitting Puerto Rico on Wednesday.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/204552.shtml?cone#contents

Sad
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »

Perhaps there was a good reason the island was uninhabited? Barbuda never fully recovered from Luis in 1995. It was already too small in size and population to support much of a tourist trade, and that's the only marginally viable economic use of the island these days. It would be cheaper to relocate everyone and give them $100,000 each in seed money than to try and rebuild. I also think it would be kinder than sending them back to face another major hurricane in a decade or three.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2017, 09:12:52 PM »

Watching Maria, it looks like it could pull an Irma here in Florida and not taking anymore chances after the damages we got from it.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »

Watching Maria, it looks like it could pull an Irma here in Florida and not taking anymore chances after the damages we got from it.

We can't say for sure Maria's trajectory but it's pretty apparent it will be weaker than Irma.
Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2017, 06:26:44 PM »

Maria is now a Category 4 and could be a Cat 5 by the time it hits Puerto Rico.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2017, 06:52:12 PM »

Just hit a Category 5.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »

... And Maria is a Category 5 now, shortly before landfall on Dominica.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »

... And Maria is a Category 5 now, shortly before landfall on Dominica.

And heading for the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as a category 5 hurricane. What an absolute disaster for the Virgin Islands in particular after their experience with Irma Sad
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »

Holy sh!t. Maria went from a Tropical Strom to a Cat 5 in the span of 24 hours. I'm really afraid for the Guadeloupe, they're right in the middle of it right now.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2017, 07:39:52 PM »

Holy sh!t. Maria went from a Tropical Strom to a Cat 5 in the span of 24 hours. I'm really afraid for the Guadeloupe, they're right in the middle of it right now.

Fortunately for Guadeloupe, Maria is a very compact hurricane, so hurricane-force winds probably won't reach Guadeloupe as it passes just to the south. Dominica, on the other hand, is going to look like Barbuda a couple of weeks ago.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »

Here I am, extremely worried about my parents, colleagues, and friends in PR. I already talked with them, and they already gave me "the talk"--that they'll be safe, but it may be weeks before I hear from them again Sad
ltomlinson31
Canada

« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2017, 09:48:54 PM »

Maria just made landfall on Dominica as a Category 5 Sad.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »

Here I am, extremely worried about my parents, colleagues, and friends in PR. I already talked with them, and they already gave me "the talk"--that they'll be safe, but it may be weeks before I hear from them again Sad

I hope they make it out ok.  My prayers are with them
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2017, 09:56:53 PM »

Dominica's prime minister rescued in midst of Category 5 Hurricane Maria

Click here to view PM Roosevelt Skerrit's Facebook for live updates.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2017, 09:58:27 PM »

I hope they make it out ok.  My prayers are with them

Thanks Smiley It means a lot.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #217 on: September 19, 2017, 05:58:17 PM »

Hurricane Maria's central pressure is around near Irma's minimum central pressure, which could allow for even more strengthening to 180 mph winds before striking Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Jesus what a season.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2017, 05:59:35 PM »

Hurricane Maria's central pressure is around near Irma's minimum central pressure, which could allow for even more strengthening to 180 mph winds before striking Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Jesus what a season.

Latest is already up to 175 mph and still plenty more water to go over. Prayers for anyone in Maria's path...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2017, 07:54:08 PM »

Jesus what a season.

Latest is already up to 175 mph and still plenty more water to go over. Prayers for anyone in Maria's path...

Yeah. My parents are frightened even though they're well-prepared. This monster is only several hours away from devastating PR in ways never recorded before in the island's modern history.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2017, 01:45:43 AM »

The governor of PR issued a final statement before the storm's impact (in English). See it here:

https://www.facebook.com/prinforma/videos/1701327643251959/
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »

The governor of PR issued a final statement before the storm's impact (in English). See it here:

This is a very scary and unfortunate situation for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands this morning. I know you have family in PR, so I hope they're alright, Arch. Although Maria is a powerful storm, I'm sure Puerto Ricans are prepared and strong enough to handle it.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »

This is a very scary and unfortunate situation for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands this morning. I know you have family in PR, so I hope they're alright, Arch. Although Maria is a powerful storm, I'm sure Puerto Ricans are prepared and strong enough to handle it.

Thank you. I just heard from my parents. They're okay! But they haven't slept yet. They spent most of the night making sure everything remained intact. In fact, they had to use tensors indoors to keep the doors from flying away. The house is okay, but the street is blocked by fallen electrical wiring, debris, trees, etc.

They were fortunate. My friend, who moved to CT recently, got a text from his mom at 4:00 AM telling him that the hurricane had ripped away the back door from her house. He has not heard from her since, probably because communications went down not long after that, and he's worried sick.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2017, 11:04:34 PM »

San Juan's NWS radar was destroyed, both dome and dish are gone.

Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2017, 09:19:33 AM »

Another storm has formed, Nate, and it's projected path has it hitting the Mississippi Delta region as a hurricane on Sunday.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/114308.shtml?cone#contents
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies