New progressive Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:36:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  New progressive Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New progressive Party  (Read 1091 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fork-in-the-national-road-new-progressive-supermajority_us_599af3b1e4b033e0fbdec630

Discuss about a probable new party.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »

Enjoy getting .3% of the vote. The voting system needs to change before third parties can have any hope being successful.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »

It would just ensure the GOP wins the white house in 2020 so dumb idea.  For good or for ill the US is a two party system and until that changes it makes more sense to work within the parties.  True it probably would make more sense to have 3 or 4 parties but then the electoral college could result in big wins even if most didn't want one so if the US moved away from the two party system you would probably need to move to run off elections between the top two.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »

Congratulations Gail McGowan Mellor, whoever you are, on your plans for a permanent Trump majority.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2017, 04:03:42 PM by Wolverine22 »

Good Lord, will they ever realize the primary wasn't rigged? Hillary won the popular vote by 13 points and came 100 delegates from winning an outright majority of delegates, to where those evil hated superdelegates would be completely irrelevant.

This author's credibility is further damaged when she mistakes Nina Turner as "a former congresswoman from Illinois" when she was a State Senator from Ohio.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »

Also... did anyone catch that "progressives" are somehow 66% of the US population? 

A progressive is apparently someone who either voted for Bernie in the primary or didn't vote at all in the general.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »

Also... did anyone catch that "progressives" are somehow 66% of the US population? 

A progressive is apparently someone who either voted for Bernie in the primary or didn't vote at all in the general.

Progressives are at best slightly north of 50% and most likely more likely in the high 20s to low 30s as a lot of Democrat voters are centrists not progressives.  Only a handful of developed countries are progressives the majority (Canada is perhaps one of the few where I live), but the US is definitely not one.  Conservatives aren't a majority either, but there are slightly more conservatives than progressives although the gap is not as big as it was 30 years ago.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 05:36:33 PM »

I came to this thread to talk about a Puerto Rican third-party if they become a state
cwt

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »

Good Lord, will they ever realize the primary wasn't rigged? Hillary won the popular vote by 13 points and came 100 delegates from winning an outright majority of delegates, to where those evil hated superdelegates would be completely irrelevant.

They aren't talking about superdelegates or the vote count, they're saying the DNC wasn't neutral during the primaries. Tom Perez admitted as much:

"We heard loudly and clearly yesterday from Bernie supporters that the process was rigged and it was. And you’ve got to be honest about it. That’s why we need a chair who is transparent."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/race-dnc-chair-tom-perez-pledges-woo-back-red-rural-n718536
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »

Why did the Justice Party never kick off? Just wondering

Also, I'm kinda excited to see a left-wing third party, not for the sake of splitting the Dem vote, but I think it would be great to see the political system altered.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »

LOL!
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 10:17:26 PM »

Since when do progressives make up 60% of the voting population?? lol I am sick of people like this author twisting facts in order to represent their own ideas and interests....
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

I came to this thread to talk about a Puerto Rican third-party if they become a state

Then the GOP in congress should no longer block the admission as a state Wink
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »

Honestly! I was excited to see PNP getting some coverage around here. Though the PNP is a pro-statehood party...
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »

Just read the part of the article where they mention the "PIP," and I'm starting to think my fellow progressives may be enamored with Puerto Rican politics...
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »

Then the GOP in congress should no longer block the admission as a state Wink

Agreed, but considering how much gerrymandering they do at the state level I suspect it's mostly about politics.  They know full well Puerto Rico will likely be a solid blue state thus their reason for denying it admission.  If it was a solid red state they would have approved it by now.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

I guess it would be a leftist version of the Tea Party.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »

"The country's progressive supermajority" lol

Enjoy not making it onto the ballot in most states!
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »

I'd prefer a two round election (like France) with a multi party system. For example, a party for Bernie Sanders/progressive supporters, establishment/Clinton Democrats, centrists, Trump Republicans, establishment Republicans, tea partiers, and libertarians.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies