Forget 2016...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:53:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Forget 2016...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Forget 2016...  (Read 7258 times)
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:21 PM »

I'm looking more towards the next generation of politicians, so most of my suggestions are a little out in left field. I'm trying to leave out people being considered for the presidency in 2016, so I'm not rehashing the same talking points.

San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro- He's young, latino, charismatic, and a raising star in a state that's looking to trend more and more democratic in coming election years because of demographic shifts. Castro would be an interesting choice to headline a gubernatorial ticket against Perry (should he seek a third term and win the Republican nomination) or another statewide office in the coming years.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker- This man is superman. He shovels snow from old ladies driveways and saves women from burning buildings. He's got a dramatic flair and a solid record behind him, and he looks like a top prospect to run against Republican darling Chris Christie in 2013. If he can take and hold the governorship for a couple terms, he could be a major player in 2020.

California Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom- As Mayor of San Francisco, Newsom earned a national following for his dramatic support for gay marriage. He's very charismatic, and is next in line to be governor of the state after Jerry Brown (especially if he declines to run for a second term, given that he would be close to 80 by 2014).

California Attorney General Kamala Harris- She aggressively perused a harsher settlement against the banks during the state-lead foreclosure malpractice lawsuit. Her work will benefit millions, and she could be a successor to Feinstein or Boxer should they retire at the end of their next senate terms. She is a women and a minority (part african-american and part indian/tamil american), which would play well to the base.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman - Both of the last two elected democratic governors of New York were previously the state's attorney generals. He lead the push with Kamala Harris to get a larger settlement against the banks.

Fmr. Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray - He is currently leading the CFPB, and he has a strong record of consumer protection though his tenure as Attorney General. He has held many state wide offices (including solicitor general and state treasurer), and he could be a serious challenger against Kasich for Ohio governor in 2014. If he won, he would have time to build up a national profile and he would be a logical choice from an important swing state in 2020.

Representative Tammy Baldwin - If she wins the senate race in Wisconsin this year, Baldwin will be the first openly gay senator in American history. She is fiery and passionate, and her strong stances on women's and LGBT rights would play well with the base. She has a long progressive record behind her in the house, and she will have time to build up a national reputation and influence in the senate if she is elected this year.

Those are some good predictions
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 07:43:56 AM »

I think Crist should oust Scott as Governor in 2014 as Democrat and then go for the Presidential nomination in 2020.
Wow...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »

^ Those predictions are eerie...and impressive of course.

That's nothing.  Look at what I was predicting back in 2001, before the forum even existed:

I think the next president will be some guy named Barack Obama.  This may seem weird, since it rhymes with Osama, and that might seem like a liability given the events of last month, but I don't think it'll be a big deal.

Then, after Barack Obama, the next president will be Donald Trump.

Pretty incredibly, huh?

Tongue
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »

^ Those predictions are eerie...and impressive of course.

That's nothing.  Look at what I was predicting back in 2001, before the forum even existed:

I think the next president will be some guy named Barack Obama.  This may seem weird, since it rhymes with Osama, and that might seem like a liability given the events of last month, but I don't think it'll be a big deal.

Then, after Barack Obama, the next president will be Donald Trump.

Pretty incredibly, huh?

Tongue

Let's not forget that in 2001, all sorts of serious people were suggesting someone like Trump would make a good President.  People from all sorts of places, politically, including Oprah.  Trump COULD have been a contender for the 2008 Democratic nomination had he remained a Democrat and been serious back then.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies