Does Trump have authority to pardon Arpaio?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 10:04:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does Trump have authority to pardon Arpaio?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Does Trump have authority to pardon Arpaio?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Does Trump have authority to pardon Arpaio?  (Read 1345 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2017, 09:46:08 AM »

No as he wasn't convicted of violating federal law. I bet this pardon can be challenged and overturned.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2017, 09:54:43 AM by Miss Sally's Schoolyard »

No as he wasn't convicted of violating federal law. I bet this pardon can be challenged and overturned.

?

He was being found guilty by a federal court for criminal contempt of a federal court.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »

Yes, because convicted uder federal law/a federal court. State court convictions can only be pardoned by the governor.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:12:22 AM »

Of course he does. It was still a horrible thing to do.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 10:32:47 AM »

If it could be legally challenged and revoked he wouldn't have did it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »

If he knew it could be legally challenged and revoked he wouldn't have did it.

Afaik he has complete authority to pardon like this, and the only appropriate response is to impeach him. But I know things can get weird with more obscure edge-cases with the courts, so I suppose it's possible that it's possible he's not allowed to pardon technical violations (like this), just regular crimes. But I doubt it.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »

I've never heard of a case of a pardon being challenged before.  This isn't something the courts can touch, sadly.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »

Richard Nixon was never convicted of anything. Ford still pardoned him - he simply phrased it as a Pardon for "Anything Nixon did or may have done during his presidency".
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »

Of course he does. It was still a horrible thing to do.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »

I've never heard of a case of a pardon being challenged before.  This isn't something the courts can touch, sadly.

The only time a pardon was successfully challenged was when a recipient refused to accept it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Wilson
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »

No in that he's not a legitimate president and thus does not have authority.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »

This is silly.  Like him or not, he was duly elected.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »

As of now, it appears that he was duly elected, yes. Until an objective probe into the election gives it a clean bill of health, I don't think we can say that without reservation.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »

As of now, it appears that he was duly elected, yes. Until an objective probe into the election gives it a clean bill of health, I don't think we can say that without reservation.

Perhaps not, but I think we must assume it to be true unless solid evidence proves otherwise.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »

all these green avatars lol
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »

Just want to remind everyone that a pardon is an admission of guilt and can be used as evidence in a civil lawsuit. I bet Maricopa County is thrilled.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »

Just want to remind everyone that a pardon is an admission of guilt and can be used as evidence in a civil lawsuit. I bet Maricopa County is thrilled.

I honestly don't care if he has to pay a million or two to the county. He deserves to be in Jail, which the pardon makes impossible.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »

I honestly don't care if he has to pay a million or two to the county. He deserves to be in Jail, which the pardon makes impossible.

Not my point. If someone sued the county (rather than Arpaio himself) for unlawful detention, Arpaio's pardon could be used as evidence of liability on the county's part. Such a case would probably settle, but there are likely to be many. Could one of our lawyers please tell me if I'm in error here?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 10:16:48 PM »

Not my point. If someone sued the county (rather than Arpaio himself) for unlawful detention, Arpaio's pardon could be used as evidence of liability on the county's part. Such a case would probably settle, but there are likely to be many. Could one of our lawyers please tell me if I'm in error here?

Do you mean Arpaio would sue the county for unlawfully detaining him? I don't think anyone else would have standing. Also, not a lawyer, but the county obviously had no way of knowing that the Pardon would happen, so unless they detained him after the pardon was issued, I imagine they're not liable for detaining him.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 11:46:36 PM »

Do you mean Arpaio would sue the county for unlawfully detaining him? I don't think anyone else would have standing. Also, not a lawyer, but the county obviously had no way of knowing that the Pardon would happen, so unless they detained him after the pardon was issued, I imagine they're not liable for detaining him.

No, an immigrant who was detained under Arpaio's order in contempt of federal courts.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 12:20:37 AM »

Yes, but he absolutely should not have done so. It was a blow to civil rights, the due process of the courts, and the integrity of the law.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 07:29:55 AM »

He won the electoral college vote so he was duly elected no matter what any probe says. Even if he was given the electoral votes for a state that a probe incontrovertibly proves he did not win, he is still duly elected. Congress is the final authority on whether to accept a state's electoral votes. They accepted all of them, thereby affirming the states' certified results in the only sense that matters. Remember, Constitutionally a popular vote in a state isn't even required for electoral vote allocation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »

Off the top of my head, the admission to criminal contempt is one of refusing to follow the Court's orders. There's little disputing that point before or after the pardon. Thus the underlying allegations of  wrongdoing aren't much affected, though to anyone that can show damages related specifically to Arpaio's delayed implementation which caused the contempt action, they'd have a better claim.

If I was Maricopa County, I'd argue that what Joe did as a private citizen in accepting the pardon affects only his personal liability. The EX-sheriff doing so shouldn't bind Maricopa County for liability purposes.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that claim, but it's certainly colorable.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies