Question for Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans etc?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:38:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Question for Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans etc?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans etc?  (Read 605 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:10:19 AM »

In most denominations, there is a great deal of diversity between congregations, which can lead to conflicts between clergy and their congregations. In denominations with presbyterian or congregational government, this is pretty easy to avoid as the congregation drives the hiring.

How does this work in high church traditions? Do the Bishops try to respect the tendencies of each congregation? i.e. Does Bishop Smith have an internal monologue like "St. Luke is Anglo-Catholic and Fr. Bob is Evangelical, so that wouldn't work. I'll send him to St. Andrew's where it will be a better fit"? If the Bishops don't respect congregational tendencies, how are conflicts managed when the priest and congregation don't line up well?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:26:57 AM »

I think in the ELCA they actually interview pastors about this and try to get a good fit. Although that doesn't prevent pastors in rural churches who,are way more liberal than their congregations obviously but typically its the congregation driving the liberal activism in the most liberal and almost always urban ELCA churches. The emergent ones are usually given total leeway, although they in practice are closer to simply being loosely affiliated with the ELCA than ELCA churches. Also they make up too small a percentage of all ELCA churches to really matter.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »

I honestly couldn't tell you the hiring or assignment practices for priests, but it is interesting to see how they "fit" their parishes. If I go to a service in Detroit, you'll hear the priest discuss "social justice" issues--refugees, for example--whereas a service at Royal Oak Shrine will have a homily that refers more to spirituality, or takes a more conservative tone on social issues.
Small L
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »

I think this is the kind of thing that varies a bit by diocese. I'm sure a lot of practical considerations go into it like, "can he speak Spanish?", etc.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:26:37 PM »

It ultimately depends on the bishop. The vast majority will generally make an effort to avoid abrupt changes in a parish's culture, but occasionally bishops install a priest to enact changes strategically, usually when a parish has deviated significantly from the mainstream of the Church. But most of the time, the bishops are busy trying to put out fires and not inclined to cause them.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »

It ultimately depends on the bishop. The vast majority will generally make an effort to avoid abrupt changes in a parish's culture, but occasionally bishops install a priest to enact changes strategically, usually when a parish has deviated significantly from the mainstream of the Church. But most of the time, the bishops are busy trying to put out fires and not inclined to cause them.

I agree with this, but I can think of a couple examples of black priests intentionally being assigned to churches with a lot of racist old people in the congregation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies