Which afterlife options (including lack of one) are most "acceptable" to you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:32:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Which afterlife options (including lack of one) are most "acceptable" to you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which afterlife options are most "acceptable" to you?
No Afterlife/soul, or Oblivion in belief systems your soul is destroyed

Heaven (or equivalent)

Purgatory then Heaven

"Sleep" then Heaven or Bodily Resurrection

Bodily Resurrection eventually

Spirit in this world (existing with other Spirits, usually unseen by living)

Spirit in a neutral or varied Netherworld

Reincarnation

Becoming one with the Supreme Force/God/Brahman/Ultimate Reality/etc. (usually the end of reincarnation in those belief systems)

Hell (or equivalent)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which afterlife options (including lack of one) are most "acceptable" to you?  (Read 7830 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »
« edited: August 29, 2017, 11:48:41 PM by Blue3 »

Which afterlife options are most "acceptable" to you?

NOT what you think is true.

NOT which is your favorite.

Just which possibilities would you personally be ecstatically joyful to "ok" with?

You can vote for up to 7, but you can also just vote for 1 or anything in-between.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2017, 10:30:07 AM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Anything that doesn't include pain sounds great to me.  No reincarnation, no hell - I would rather either spend eternity with God or cease all thought and consciousness.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »

Anything that doesn't include pain sounds great to me.  No reincarnation, no hell - I would rather either spend eternity with God or cease all thought and consciousness.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »

Purgatory lacks purpose, cessation of existence would rob the meaning of most things I have done, and hell sounds awful.

Everything else is okay.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:02:35 AM »

1. Heaven. Well, it sounds just fun Tongue

2. Spirit in this world. It sound like a very curious experience, though I'm not sure I'd want to do it for eternity.
3. No afterlife/soul. This is what I believe in now, and I'm fine with it.
4. "Sleep" then Heaven or Bodily Resurrection. Heaven is fun, but bodily resurrection? Ew, I don't want to be a wight, or worse, a pile of ashes flying around.
5. Becoming one with the Supreme Force. I mean, it could be boring or it could be ok.

6. Spirit in a neutral or varied Netherworld. Sounds boring, but doable.

7. Reincarnation. Nah, I'd rather not, but at least it's interesting.
8. Bodily resurrection. Again, too creepy.
9. Purgatory then heaven. I mean, I feel like my amount of sins according to the Church would make it pretty painful.

10. Hell. No explanation needed.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »

Purgatory lacks purpose, cessation of existence would rob the meaning of most things I have done, and hell sounds awful.

Everything else is okay.
Why does purgatory lack purpose?

1. Heaven. Well, it sounds just fun Tongue

2. Spirit in this world. It sound like a very curious experience, though I'm not sure I'd want to do it for eternity.
3. No afterlife/soul. This is what I believe in now, and I'm fine with it.
4. "Sleep" then Heaven or Bodily Resurrection. Heaven is fun, but bodily resurrection? Ew, I don't want to be a wight, or worse, a pile of ashes flying around.
5. Becoming one with the Supreme Force. I mean, it could be boring or it could be ok.

6. Spirit in a neutral or varied Netherworld. Sounds boring, but doable.

7. Reincarnation. Nah, I'd rather not, but at least it's interesting.
8. Bodily resurrection. Again, too creepy.
9. Purgatory then heaven. I mean, I feel like my amount of sins according to the Church would make it pretty painful.

10. Hell. No explanation needed.
Resurrection usually doesn't mean zombie... it means a new, better body.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 04:50:19 PM »

From the Big Bang to 1984, my non existence didn't inconvenience me. It had no existential impact on my existence as I'm experiencing it. I have no doubt my future non-existence will be much different. I came from atoms, I'll return to atoms. Can't get much fairer than that.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »

I think the only worthy afterlife would be one where anyone could die when they get bored with whatever heaven is found.

I think the norm would be to go insane if a person had to live for 10000000000000000000000000000000000 + years.

Perhaps that is why God is not showing his immoral face around for us to judge his sorry ass. God has gone insane.

How many years do you think you would last in your heaven?

I cannot fathom more than a few hundred.

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 12:03:53 AM »

I think the only worthy afterlife would be one where anyone could die when they get bored with whatever heaven is found.

I think the norm would be to go insane if a person had to live for 10000000000000000000000000000000000 + years.

Perhaps that is why God is not showing his immoral face around for us to judge his sorry ass. God has gone insane.

Regards
DL

Surely, one has to assume that neither time nor boredom will be permitted through the pearly gates.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »

Regards
DL

Surely, one has to assume that neither time nor boredom will be permitted through the pearly gates.

Now now. You know what assuming does to you and me.

If there is no time in heaven, then we could not think as that takes time. One may as well be dead. Consciously dead that is.

Boredom in Yahweh`s heaven was likely s likely what caused Satan to choose hell instead of heaven before she rebelled against God.

That is my assumption.

Regards
DL
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 04:38:12 PM »

Heaven doesn't need to be static... in fact I think it's likely the opposite.

Remember CS Lewis's metaphors at the end of the Narnia books? Life was the prologue of a great book, now in Heaven the true story can begin, with each and every chapter better than the first. The children, now killed in battle, exploring "true Narnia", much larger and more real, and worlds within worlds even larger on the inside than the outside, and other worlds to explore, old friends to meet again and new friends to make, enough to learn and do and explore for infinity, and it all being so good that boredom is impossible.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 12:07:08 AM »

If there is no time in heaven, then we could not think as that takes time. One may as well be dead. Consciously dead that is.

You don't need time to think if you know all things simultaneously.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You're probably right - half the world's evil is inspired by sheer boredom.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »

You don't need time to think if you know all things simultaneously.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You're probably right - half the world's evil is inspired by sheer boredom.

Without time, your thoughts which are made up of subatomic particles that move, must have time to move.

This is obvious to any who know how the subatomic world and nature works.

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »

Without time, your thoughts which are made up of subatomic particles that move, must have time to move.

The cessation of time is a widely-attested phenomenon, even in this life. Go talk to someone who's dropped a lot of acid.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »

The cessation of time is a widely-attested phenomenon, even in this life. Go talk to someone who's dropped a lot of acid.

I will let you as you seem to be one of them coming up with such garbage.

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »

Not very open-minded, maaan
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 09:38:54 AM »

Not very open-minded, maaan

You say that just because you cannot refute how thinking and subatomic particles work.

Your mind was so open, you let garbage fall in.

Regards
DL
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »

Heaven sounds awful, personally. Unity with the ultimate One is similarly terrifying as I would hate to lose my individuality. The rest of the options are ok (save hell of course).
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »

You say that just because you cannot refute how thinking and subatomic particles work.

You say that because you cannot refute how personal experience works.
kyc0705

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »

Heaven doesn't need to be static... in fact I think it's likely the opposite.

Remember CS Lewis's metaphors at the end of the Narnia books? Life was the prologue of a great book, now in Heaven the true story can begin, with each and every chapter better than the first. The children, now killed in battle, exploring "true Narnia", much larger and more real, and worlds within worlds even larger on the inside than the outside, and other worlds to explore, old friends to meet again and new friends to make, enough to learn and do and explore for infinity, and it all being so good that boredom is impossible.

That's always how I've envisioned the ideal afterlife—the infinite ability to explore and interact on a level totally unfathomable to the current life, and unlimited access to it.

(Now, I'm not sure if I actually believe in an afterlife, but that doesn't mean I can't think about it.)
Cashew
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »

Regards
DL

That is based off the assumption that human nature will remain unchanged in the afterlife. I'm not going to speculate that much, but being "liberated" from the hedonic treadmill will alter one's perspective on eternal existence significantly.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »

Regards
DL

That is based off the assumption that human nature will remain unchanged in the afterlife. I'm not going to speculate that much, but being "liberated" from the hedonic treadmill will alter one's perspective on eternal existence significantly.

You are basically correct but human nature will remain the same in humans regardless of the input. All input changes our thinking but we remain human. Your view is quite the reach though.

In humans, even our DNA is designed to only have us live for a certain span and that indicates that our overall individual natures are tuned to die.

Nature does have DNA for longer lives as we speak. Some plants live for thousands of years. I guess nature does not give those to our type of creature.

Regards
DL

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »

I wonder how the vote would change if Heaven and No Afterlife were taken away as options...
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 08:46:21 AM »

I voted:

No Afterlife/soul, or Oblivion in belief systems your soul is destroyed   11 (11.6%)

Force/God/Brahman/Ultimate Reality/etc. (usually the end of reincarnation in those belief systems)   6 (6.3%)

I was brought up on the idea of heaven and hell (Swedenborgian).

However, as nice as the idea of heaven sounds, I wonder if being happy all or most of the time and this for eternity is possible. I don't know, but it wouldn't disappoint me if it turns out to be true.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 05:10:38 PM »

To quote Freddie Mercury;

"Oh, I was not made for heaven. No, I don't want to go to heaven. Hell is much better. Think of all the interesting people you're going to meet down there!"
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies