CA-SEN: Feinstein slips up; primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:25:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-SEN: Feinstein slips up; primary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: CA-SEN: Feinstein slips up; primary?  (Read 7188 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2017, 07:54:16 PM »

If Daily Kos jumps in and endorses De Leon (which they may do...the odds are it'll be a D v D race) he will quickly raise enough money to not be competitive, but win in November...but it'll be close.

The one wild card is if someone like Steyer enters the race, in which case De Leon, with his lack of name ID loses out to Steyer for one of the two runoff slots (one of them is certainly going to Feinstein).
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »

If Daily Kos jumps in and endorses De Leon (which they may do...the odds are it'll be a D v D race) he will quickly raise enough money to not be competitive, but win in November...but it'll be close.

The one wild card is if someone like Steyer enters the race, in which case De Leon, with his lack of name ID loses out to Steyer for one of the two runoff slots (one of them is certainly going to Feinstein).

In that case, the second spot could also go to a Republican. Depends on if they can coalesce around one candidate. They couldn't in 2016.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »

In that case, the second spot could also go to a Republican. Depends on if they can coalesce around one candidate. They couldn't in 2016.

Wikipedia lists Ashley Swearingin and Kevin Faulconer as potential candidates for republicans. If one of them enters, they would likely be able to clear the field of other republicans given their prominence in the CA Republican Party, almost ensuring a spot in the general. But both have a hard ceiling of 45% or so in the general.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2017, 08:42:45 PM »

No one knows who Ashley Swearengin even is, and in a Trump midterm, Republicans have a ceiling of 40% in California, and a floor of 0% because they won't even make the general in a few statewide races.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »

Swearengin lost a much lower-profile race against a much less-entrenched and weaker candidate by eight points in 2014 of all years.
JMT

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »

So while I would vote for de Leon in the Senate primary, I do think the better option for him realistically would have been to run for Lieutenant Governor. He had already raised money for the race and considered it for awhile. If he had won the race for Lt Gov (which is way more likely than winning this senate race), he would be next in line for the Governorship when the incumbent (likely Gavin Newsom) faces term limits 8 years from now.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2017, 11:03:06 PM »

Fairly big news actually. Progressives should get behind De Leon, he's there only chance here.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »

Endorsing Feinstein.

She's a great representative for the state of California and one of the most effective Senators in either party.  As one of the few mayors in the Senate, she understands the nit-and-grit of politics in a way that most other Inside the Beltway politicos don't.

Also, she's relatively progressive so I don't see why she's such an anathema to Forum Democrats - except for the fact that she's female, but that's all I can think of.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »

Endorsing Feinstein.

She's a great representative for the state of California and one of the most effective Senators in either party.  As one of the few mayors in the Senate, she understands the nit-and-grit of politics in a way that most other Inside the Beltway politicos don't.

Also, she's relatively progressive so I don't see why she's such an anathema to Forum Democrats - except for the fact that she's female, but that's all I can think of.
I'm also endorsing Feinstein. My few GOP relatives and friends will vote for her too.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2017, 12:38:49 AM »

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2017, 01:27:39 PM by Virginia »

I've never heard a politician described as "effective" unless It's someone who everyone hates and wants gone.

Endorsing Feinstein.

She's a great representative for the state of California and one of the most effective Senators in either party.  As one of the few mayors in the Senate, she understands the nit-and-grit of politics in a way that most other Inside the Beltway politicos don't.

Lol
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »

Feinstein was a trailblazer, but she's still governing like it's the year she got elected. California needs a progressive Senator who can fight for the left's ideals for years to come.

Feinstein has had a long and successful career, but Dianne, sweetie, it's time to retire.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »

Feinstein is a great Senator who has the seniority to make sure the country’s largest state, which is already underrepresented at all levels of government, has some pull in the Senate. Kevin de Leon can run to replace Harris if she wins the presidential nomination. I am endorsing Dianne Feinstein.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »

Cali's top two jungle race election system is beyond stupid.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »

Cali's top two jungle race election system is beyond stupid.
I used to be pretty against it but this video makes a good case for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEu1RICoEc4
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2017, 06:34:36 PM by IceSpear »

Feinstein will be easily re-elected in the D vs. D race. Why wouldn't she be? Trump voters didn't vote for Sanchez over Harris because of her last name and the fact that they had no clue who she was, but they'll have no problem voting for Feinstein, particularly since this time it's the more liberal candidate that is less known with the Hispanic last name. Double whammy. It goes without saying that independents will go for Feinstein. And considering De Leon isn't even guaranteed to win the Democratic vote, this could end up as a massive thrashing.

It's hard to see any path to victory for De Leon no matter how hard you squint, short of Feinstein dying or killing babies/puppies on live TV. Whoever advised him to make this suicide run was a fool. I'd vote for him if I lived in CA though. I think Feinstein should've retired.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »

So while I would vote for de Leon in the Senate primary, I do think the better option for him realistically would have been to run for Lieutenant Governor. He had already raised money for the race and considered it for awhile. If he had won the race for Lt Gov (which is way more likely than winning this senate race), he would be next in line for the Governorship when the incumbent (likely Gavin Newsom) faces term limits 8 years from now.

Agreed totally. Stupid, stupid move.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »

Policy-wise, DiFi is more hawkish than the voters she represents and takes a fairly authoritarian view of civil liberties (see e.g., her stout defense of NSA domestic surveillance and her frequent tiffs with Sen. Wyden). There is a significant portion of her voting base for which those positions are unpopular. Roll those in with rejecting single payer and there's a non-gender reason.

Although there may be a portion who are anti-DiFi due to her gender and support of LGBTQ issues.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »

I think De Leon can pull this off although Feinstein is favored. First of all, many Californians are tired of her. Even those who like her. She's been in office for 25 years and is 85 years old. Second, in an anti-Trump election, De Leon might gather enough progressives and lationos behind him, to oust Feinstein in November.

It's almost likely a Dem versus Dem race (thanks to our HORRIBLE jungle primary) unless Faulconer enters the race. So, Republicans might be the tipping point here. I suppose they will vote for Feinstein by larger numbers.

Actually, I think it's very sad when politicians like Feinstein don't recognize when it's time to leave. And then they ask what's wrong with the party and why people get tired of them.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »

Feinstein would be in a better situation if she wasn't from California. It's one of the most progressive states in the country and that means plenty of voters will have a bone to pick with her record.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »

HUGE Dianne Feinstein Challenger Announcement Thursday, November 2nd

TYT just released that video, Cenk says in it that "loosely in the TYT universe" who has been "seen on TYT before", which seems to suggest that it isn't him or Kasparian. Who knows, and it won't matter anyway.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »

Feinstein would be in a better situation if she wasn't from California. It's one of the most progressive states in the country and that means plenty of voters will have a bone to pick with her record.
Exactly. I'd be fine with her if she was from Nevada or New Mexico.

It's California. Let's get a lefty in there.

TYT just released that video, Cenk says in it that "loosely in the TYT universe" who has been "seen on TYT before", which seems to suggest that it isn't him or Kasparian. Who knows, and it won't matter anyway.

TYT should be rallying everyone around De Leon, not further splitting the vote.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:37 PM »

TYT has unfortunately become a very large joke, and seems pretty misguided in what they're trying to do.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2017, 10:46:44 PM »

Kamala Harris won Hispanic vote in 2016 over Loretta Sanchez, so I doubt De Leon is going to win over Hispanics just because he is Hispanic himself.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2017, 10:57:02 PM »

Exactly. I'd be fine with her if she was from Nevada or New Mexico.

It's California. Let's get a lefty in there.

TYT should be rallying everyone around De Leon, not further splitting the vote.

Cenk is so much of a narcissistic idiot that he would sacrifice the Democratic Party for his own ego.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies