China Suffering Worst Rights Crackdown Since Tiananmen Square Massacre
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:08:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  China Suffering Worst Rights Crackdown Since Tiananmen Square Massacre
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China Suffering Worst Rights Crackdown Since Tiananmen Square Massacre  (Read 903 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »

I don't expect anything but crickets from Trump's administration:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

NYTimes
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:09:12 PM »

Cut off all trade with China.  I don't care if it wrecks the economy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »

Democracy and human rights are in retreat everywhere. It's not just China. The United States isn't exactly acting like a shining city on a hill right now.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »

Democracy and human rights are in retreat everywhere. It's not just China. The United States isn't exactly acting like a shining city on a hill right now.

China is the opposite of the USA. They are a ruthlessly efficient dictatorship. We elect comically(terrifyingly?) incompetent democratic leaders. Trump is a buffoon but I see no evidence of him eliminating rights in the way China has done. (Or rather has never had)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »

Cut off all trade with China.  I don't care if it wrecks the economy.

China is the opposite of the USA. They are a ruthlessly efficient dictatorship. We elect comically(terrifyingly?) incompetent democratic leaders. Trump is a buffoon but I see no evidence of him eliminating rights in the way China has done. (Or rather has never had)

He's not eliminating rights, but events of the past two years have made American democracy look, well, pretty shoddy and undemocratic. It doesn't help that we elected a leader who has never had majority support, while Xi, for all his flaws, probably has majority support in his own country, despite never being elected. It also doesn't help that for the past 10 years American democracy has failed to produce a government that Americans are happy with, failed to restore an American middle class, failed to make Americans satisfied with the direction of our country, failed to unite the country, failed to prevent foreign meddling, and failed to grow trust in our institutions. Finally, it doesn't help that our own State Department is saying democracy promotion isn't an important goal.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/us-elections-2016/US-election-A-gift-for-Chinese-propaganda/articleshow/55237297.cms
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:48:42 PM »

More of an oligarchy than a dictatorship. The Standing Committee rules.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:23:16 AM »

The PRC still sucks at human rights...also, water still wet.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »

It's good to know you don't care about hundreds of thousands American jobs lost and, consequently, even more people being thrown into poverty.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 07:12:47 PM »

It's good to know you don't care about hundreds of thousands American jobs lost and, consequently, even more people being thrown into poverty.

I care about all the peoples of the world.  Chinese lives are no less meaningful.  Sad.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 06:26:37 AM »

Trump is the camel's nose in the tent. After him can come others more systematic and less ludicrous. The right-wing dream of a "Christian and Corporate State" will not vanish with the likely defeat of Donald Trump in 2020.

Human rights have hardly existed in China except in times of chaos. The People's Republic of China was a hard-line dictatorship from its inception, and just because it has abandoned Marxism does not mean that it has abandoned the dictatorship. China has gone from being a dictatorship of the proletariat to a conservative dictatorship.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies