Managing Campaign 2004: Issues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:18:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Managing Campaign 2004: Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Managing Campaign 2004: Issues  (Read 4642 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2003, 07:25:52 PM »

Is anyone willing to go beyond predicting who will win and plan the campaign?  
Looks like we'll have a Bush v Dean race in 2004, so assuming we do, if you were the campaign manager for either, what would you recommend as the best ISSUES and positions on those issues for your candidate?  What would be the theme(s) of your campaign?
What issues would you challenge/attack your opponent on?
jravnsbo

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 03:31:08 PM »

Bush

he should continue to talk about how he has made the world safer.

Captured some terrorists
Removing WMDs from Libya
Removed the Taliban from Afghanistan and tooka  major safehaven from them
-Next removed Saddam and eliminated funding, safe haven from terrorists, plus eliminated a mass murderer from power

Domestic

Tax cuts for everyone
Market and Jobs are improving after 9/11 and corporate scandals
Passed Farm Bill
Gave prescription Drugs to seniors
Will pass an energy bill ( ethanol for midwest)
Passed Education Bill

Anti-Dean

-TAX INCREASES on everyone, which would hurt economy
-weak on foreign policy, anti-war and would not have a strong US presence
-signed in civil unions
-wants to add further regulations to business, hurting the economy
-wants to socialize all of medicine, which will hamper develop and cost enormously
-is very polarizing to his own party and to a lot of America, especially the South
-dodged the draft, then went skiing
-rather go get "permission" from UN before acting int he world

Is anyone willing to go beyond predicting who will win and plan the campaign?  
Looks like we'll have a Bush v Dean race in 2004, so assuming we do, if you were the campaign manager for either, what would you recommend as the best ISSUES and positions on those issues for your candidate?  What would be the theme(s) of your campaign?
What issues would you challenge/attack your opponent on?

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 04:17:26 PM »

Some possible responces:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
But not enough
No he didn't. Gaddafi did as a spin off from the Lockabie negotiations. Bush cannot feasibly claim the credit.
So? Another President would have done the same.

Read: Huge tax cuts for my friends plus dodgy trickle down economic bullsh**t.
HAHAHAHAHA! Claiming the credit for what appears to be the end of an economic cock-up of his own making...
which has caused a financial crisis in West Virginia and possibly in some other states too.

Flat out scaremongering. Big Business can(and indeed SHOULD) pay more taxes.
Read: wants to regulate out of control corperate fat cats
Rubbish. Nationalising health care has the reverse effect.
Prove it.
a) irrelevent
b) hypocritical
c) scraping the barrel
So did Bush in 2002.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 04:29:54 PM »

Some possible responces:

Yeah, look at the NHS, that works wonderfully! Smiley
jravnsbo

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 04:33:23 PM »

But not enough

Well the war is ongoing and not over.

No he didn't. Gaddafi did as a spin off from the Lockabie negotiations. Bush cannot feasibly claim the credit.

OK tell that to the NSC and state dept negotiatiers that were there.

So? Another President would have done the same.

Oh so he gets no credit for actually doing it then, OH ok???

Read: Huge tax cuts for my friends plus dodgy trickle down economic bullsh**t.

Ok ask the middle class about the child income tax credit, removal of the marriage penalty and ask farmers about the removal of the death tax.

HAHAHAHAHA! Claiming the credit for what appears to be the end of an economic cock-up of his own making...

Talk about spin.  Numbers show economy was heading down at the end of Clinton and then 9/11 hit, starting to come back and scandals hit, which didn't just start happening when Bush took office, and now Tax cuts are taking effect and growth was highest in 20 years with job increases happening plus big job numbers predicted for the year.  Then the market has come back protecting 401ks and retirement accounts of many Americans not just the rich.

which has caused a financial crisis in West Virginia and possibly in some other states too.

First it was bi-partisan with Ted ( I'm a liberal) Kennedy.  So hard to attack that without some Dem blame then.  Plus it will work and has been highly praised here.

Flat out scaremongering. Big Business can(and indeed SHOULD) pay more taxes.

To remove tax cuts is a tax increase/  See specific ones to the middle class above, plus checks that went out would be called back in fromt eh middle class.  All true.  Yeah we are scaring the people OF THE DEMOCRAT POLICIES.

Read: wants to regulate out of control corperate fat cats

NO some of the proposals are also on small business and that hurts local economies and small town america

-And how do they pay for it?   The Democrat plan for Prescription drugs was to cost $900 BILLION, so hard to argue fiscal responsibility, and this is just one segment of health care.    

Prove it.

-Dean just called the DLC, a bunch of Republicans.  Then he said we need to move away from the era of Bill Clinton, direct slap at Bill, a DLC Democrat.  He tells the South they are a bunch of rednecks riding around in pickup trucks with rebel flags int eh back.  Then goes on to tell them to stop talking about "God, guns and Gays" but now comes out and announces he will talk about religion and God to the South to help undertsand them.  Got enough?

a) irrelevent
b) hypocritical
c) scraping the barrel

When you are ina  war on terror and have to address foreign policy concerns and be seen in the world as strong against Terrorism your stances as anti-war and not willing to serve are important as to how you would react.  Do we cut and run.

So did Bush in 2002.

-If true which it isn't, why does Dean say ont eh stump Bush should have went tot he UN to get Permission?  Kerry is hammering him to death on this.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 04:36:50 PM »

I think it does Smiley
Whatever problems it has it is a hell of a lot better than the system that it replaced...
And it's a lot better than the U.S health system... and the French system too, though they won't admit it... and we won't belive it Wink

The British love a good old moan... it's as permanant as that cold, cold rain we get Smiley
jravnsbo

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 04:38:59 PM »

What are you responding too?

I think it does Smiley
Whatever problems it has it is a hell of a lot better than the system that it replaced...
And it's a lot better than the U.S health system... and the French system too, though they won't admit it... and we won't belive it Wink

The British love a good old moan... it's as permanant as that cold, cold rain we get Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 04:49:35 PM »

I think it does Smiley

My little point on the British Natoinal Health Service, NHS. If I am not mistaken it has been heavily criticized. On the other hand, all public services in most of the western world are criticized, so there you go. He might be right though, the NHS is perhaps not that bad after all.
jravnsbo

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 04:57:06 PM »

If you take away the costs, rationing of health care and still have money for the great research and development we have in this country it would be good.

But I forsee quality being sacrificied.  Plus many Americans do have health care, a helping hand for those who don't would be more reasonable.

I think it does Smiley

My little point on the British Natoinal Health Service, NHS. If I am not mistaken it has been heavily criticized. On the other hand, all public services in most of the western world are criticized, so there you go. He might be right though, the NHS is perhaps not that bad after all.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 07:00:13 PM »

On the issue of tax cuts, it isn't what it is, it's what it sounds like.  The bush tax cuts probably cost me about $1000 a yeabecuase of local property tax increases.  And I'm in the upper middle class, so I wouldn't get much of a break anyway.
jravnsbo

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 08:05:05 PM »

I have heard this argument, but one it is not true in all states for one thing.  A lot of states just cut spending and raised local hunting and fishing and fees, or like MN raised fines on criminal offenses.

Also Dean raised property taxes in VT when he was governor during the clinton times b/c he was expanding gov't too.

Next, if the tax cuts are repealed it will hurt the economy by pulling money away from Americans spending it.  

Next, if you raise the federal taxes, you will then have higher federal and higher state taxes in your case, not lower anywhere.

On the issue of tax cuts, it isn't what it is, it's what it sounds like.  The bush tax cuts probably cost me about $1000 a yeabecuase of local property tax increases.  And I'm in the upper middle class, so I wouldn't get much of a break anyway.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies