entry from 1972 Almanac of American Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:55:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  entry from 1972 Almanac of American Politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: entry from 1972 Almanac of American Politics  (Read 3551 times)
kcguy
Romania

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »

I was watching CSPAN this morning, and an author was talking about his biography of the late Congressman Gerry Studds.  (The first thing I learned was that his name was pronounced "Gehry" and not "Jerry".)

For some of us who are older, Studds is best remembered as "the first openly gay member of Congress".  (If you don't count people like Jon Hinson, that is, but most of us don't.)

Anyhow, I went to the Almanac to look at Studds's future district, and I found the entry to be funny from a modern perspective.  (Bold face added.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »

Well, MA-09, which(more or less)  can be considered  a "heir" to that MA-12, is still the "most Republican" (or - "least Democratic") district of Massachussetts. Not that it means too much NOW. But the history of Democratic victories there began exactly in 1972 with first Studds victory....
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »

I moved into MA in 1979, and Barnstable and Nantucket were considered Pub areas at that time. They went for Reagan in both 1980 and 1984 while I lived in nearby Middlesex and occasionally visited the Cape. Barnstable even voted for Bush over favorite son Dukakis in 1988. When I moved there, plenty of Watergate era bumper stickers still said "Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts" given MA bucking the 49 state sweep. Yet Barnstable and Nantucket were for Nixon in 72.

The political shift happened in the early 90's as it did in areas in many northern states. Barnstable gave 46% to Clinton in 92 as the rest split between Bush and Perot. After that Barnstable has given from 51-56% for the Dem in presidential races. But that's about 6-8% more Pub than MA as a whole.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:42:51 PM »

The base of Cape Cod is still pretty solidly Republican.

Of course, Silvio O. Conte's district was probably another rather conservative district back then, and is now solidly Democratic.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:53:15 AM »

Of course, Silvio O. Conte's district was probably another rather conservative district back then, and is now solidly Democratic.

I wouldn't call district yu mention, and Conte in particular, even remotely conservative even then. This district could elect moderate-liberal Republican (Conte) then (not now) - that's true. But even then it wasn't a conservative.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »

I wouldn't call district yu mention, and Conte in particular, even remotely conservative even then. This district could elect moderate-liberal Republican (Conte) then (not now) - that's true. But even then it wasn't a conservative.

Fine, Republican, not conservative.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »

Conte's district actually went for McGovern in 1972.  It was not a conservative district.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »

where did you get the almanac?
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »

I must have gotten it at a "Friends of the Library" book sale.  It still has the Dewey tag on the binding.  I also have the 1978 and 1984, plus some random, more recent ones that I bought in a bookstore.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »

I must have gotten it at a "Friends of the Library" book sale.  It still has the Dewey tag on the binding.  I also have the 1978 and 1984, plus some random, more recent ones that I bought in a bookstore.
I live for $1 paperback $2 hardcover "Friends of the Library" sales in Wichita. Have bought so many political books like that.
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 04:04:08 PM »

I'm curious what the Alabama 4th is like.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »

It was 78%-22% for Nixon.
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »

I meant the description of it.  I
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2017, 02:57:58 PM by kcguy »

tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 09:54:02 AM »

So that isn't my district now then.  I'm curious about the ones in North Alabama, Dekalb/Marshall/Madison/Jackson counties etc.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »

What's the one for Kansas' 4th District?
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 07:14:46 PM »

So that isn't my district now then.  I'm curious about the ones in North Alabama, Dekalb/Marshall/Madison/Jackson counties etc.

Two of those counties are in the 7th and the other two are in the 8th.  I'll do the 7th.

kcguy
Romania

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »

I actually didn't know many workers were from the South. Guess it makes sense with some of the anecdotal stuff I had heard. Also really does explain why Haysville and Derby were Democratic downballot for so long.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:49 PM »

Martin's successor in Congress was Tom Bevill, a Wallace floor leader in the Alabama House.  Bevill won handily in 1966 and has won by overwhelming margins in succeeding elections.  He is unlikely to be defeated in the foreseeable future.

Bevill served 30 years, until 1996, often without a Republican opponent.

In 1996, Robert Aderholt won the seat with 49.89% of the vote (and a Libertarian taking 1.81 of the vote). Since that narrow victory, he has expanded his margin, and has often been elected without a Democrat opponent.

Alabamian elections have shown a strong personal element. There were three longtime Republicans first elected in the 1964 Goldwater election, who served 10 to 14 terms. After they left office the seats were susceptible to Democrat challenge. Had Martin run for re-election in 1966, it is possible that he would have served as long.
RBH

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 02:45:49 AM »

As someone who had Grandparents who moved from Arkansas to Wichita in the 50s, I can confirm that tidbit. (anecdote alert)

Shriver lost to Dan Glickman in 1976 with a result where most of the votes came from Sedgwick, but the candidates split it 50/50 and Glickman won thanks to a 59/40 result in Reno County (Hutchinson).
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »

Studds' district was the only one in Massachusetts to go for Nixon, if I recall correctly.

Massachusetts had three (3) GOP Representatives during 1971-73.  Besides Keith, there was Silvio Conte and Margaret (Peggy) Heckler.  Both of those folks had relatively liberal, anti-Vietnam War records, although they were staunchly pro-life, as were all of Massachusetts' Democrats (all of them Roman Catholic until Studds was elected).

Keith wasn't really that conservative.  He voted with the bi-partisan liberal majority to expand the size of the Rules Committee in the early 1960s; this move preempted Rules Chairman Howard Smith (D-VA) from bottling up Civil Rights legislation.  Keith joked that he was going to vote for the measure because he had his "conservative weeks" and his "liberal weeks" and the vote on expanding the Rules Committee would come in his "liberal week".  Keith was a supporter of Civil Rights legislation; he was a regular Republican who supported Nixon and his Vietnam policy, and this was the bulk of why he got the "conservative" label. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 06:35:27 PM »

Studds' district was the only one in Massachusetts to go for Nixon, if I recall correctly.

Massachusetts had three (3) GOP Representatives during 1971-73.  Besides Keith, there was Silvio Conte and Margaret (Peggy) Heckler.  Both of those folks had relatively liberal, anti-Vietnam War records, although they were staunchly pro-life, as were all of Massachusetts' Democrats (all of them Roman Catholic until Studds was elected).

Keith wasn't really that conservative.  He voted with the bi-partisan liberal majority to expand the size of the Rules Committee in the early 1960s; this move preempted Rules Chairman Howard Smith (D-VA) from bottling up Civil Rights legislation.  Keith joked that he was going to vote for the measure because he had his "conservative weeks" and his "liberal weeks" and the vote on expanding the Rules Committee would come in his "liberal week".  Keith was a supporter of Civil Rights legislation; he was a regular Republican who supported Nixon and his Vietnam policy, and this was the bulk of why he got the "conservative" label. 

Heckler was pro-life?
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »

Martin's successor in Congress was Tom Bevill, a Wallace floor leader in the Alabama House.  Bevill won handily in 1966 and has won by overwhelming margins in succeeding elections.  He is unlikely to be defeated in the foreseeable future.

Bevill served 30 years, until 1996, often without a Republican opponent.

In 1996, Robert Aderholt won the seat with 49.89% of the vote (and a Libertarian taking 1.81 of the vote). Since that narrow victory, he has expanded his margin, and has often been elected without a Democrat opponent.

Alabamian elections have shown a strong personal element. There were three longtime Republicans first elected in the 1964 Goldwater election, who served 10 to 14 terms. After they left office the seats were susceptible to Democrat challenge. Had Martin run for re-election in 1966, it is possible that he would have served as long.

It's a shame the two decent politicians of that era are overshadowed by Wallace.  Martin and Bill Baxley were political polar opposites but neither dabbled in racial politics directly.  Martin's lasting legacy is what he did for Conservation in Alabama.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies