Columbia Gorge engulfed in flames , and Portland covered in smoke
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:36:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Columbia Gorge engulfed in flames , and Portland covered in smoke
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Columbia Gorge engulfed in flames , and Portland covered in smoke  (Read 1999 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »
« edited: September 06, 2017, 01:24:39 PM by Old School Republican »

http://www.oregonlive.com/wildfires/index.ssf/2017/09/the_gorge_will_never_be_the_sa.html

http://www.kgw.com/mb/news/local/nw-engulfed-in-flames-what-we-know-about-fires-burning-across-oregon-and-washington/471318324

This is so heartbreaking, the gorge is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen and what happened today is so sad . I have so many countless memories there, hiking with my dad , going there with relatives and friends, and in general being one of my parents and mine favorite destinations since I was toddler . Thankfully they were able to save multnomah falls though ,and I hope the two teens who started this fire by using fireworks Sunday evening  get punished harshly for what they did .

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:19:20 PM »

Sad
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:00:29 AM »

This is tragic, and the wildfires going on in Washington and Oregon have made this area full of smoke and ash. It's almost post-apocalyptic.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:19:13 AM »

This is awful Sad I'm glad they caught the asses who started the fire.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:25:43 AM »

This is awful Sad I'm glad they caught the asses who started the fire.

This makes it more maddening: https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/09/witness_teens_giggled_as_they.amp
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »

Its not as smoky today as yesterday but its still pretty bad
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »

I had ash on my car the past two mornings. Although it doesn't look like we're getting any rain until this weekend at the earliest, at least we should get some cloud cover tomorrow to replace the smoke and haze.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 04:42:36 PM »

http://www.oregonlive.com/wildfires/index.ssf/2017/09/the_gorge_will_never_be_the_sa.html

http://www.kgw.com/mb/news/local/nw-engulfed-in-flames-what-we-know-about-fires-burning-across-oregon-and-washington/471318324

This is so heartbreaking, the gorge is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen and what happened today is so sad . I have so many countless memories there, hiking with my dad , going there with relatives and friends, and in general being one of my parents and mine favorite destinations since I was toddler . Thankfully they were able to save multnomah falls though ,and I hope the two teens who started this fire by using fireworks Sunday evening  get punished harshly for what they did .

What in the....OK, who the hell pushed the big red "end of the world" button? Damn, LOL.  :-/
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »

It's named after Columbus, FF fire, good guy
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »

This is not funny
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »

Neither is supporting John Kasich.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »

Comparing a 30k acre forest fire which destroyed countless homes, destroyed much of the gorge (one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen) with supporting a political candidate is a horrible .
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »

Comparing a 30k acre forest fire which destroyed countless homes, destroyed much of the gorge (one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen) with supporting a political candidate is a horrible .
Free market cakes discriminate against me for being gay...but free market fireworks don't discriminate in which forest to burn.

Too bad your pretty gorge got burned. It will regenerate and be as beautiful as ever over time.  You should take this violent, unnecessary renewal as an opportunity to reflect on concepts like "fireworks are dangerous" and "my religious liberties don't extend to cake."
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 02:07:18 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2018, 02:11:20 PM by Old School Republican »

The person responsible for this was fined 36.6 million dollars

http://www.kptv.com/story/38238793/judge-teen-who-started-eagle-creek-fire-ordered-to-pay-366m-in-restitution
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »

It's good to know the forests will be coming back and will be as wonderful as ever... but this teenager wont!  Why not just shoot the guy in the head?  People get a lot less for the unnecessary death of a loved one.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »

It's good to know the forests will be coming back and will be as wonderful as ever... but this teenager wont!  Why not just shoot the guy in the head?  People get a lot less for the unnecessary death of a loved one.

Yah it was too much I would say

- the 1920 hours of community service and 5 years Probation should have been enough
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »

- the 1920 hours of community service and 5 years Probation should have been enough

Well, I do have to say that public opinion in Oregon was overwhelmingly in favor of massive criminal charges against this "kid", regardless of political identification (Republican/Democrat/Libertarian/Green), regions of the Oregon, Household Income, etc....

This was a huge disaster that could have potentially caused a significant number of deaths fighting the fire, cost taxpayers tens of Millions of Dollars, destroyed Millions and Millions of dollars of Private Property, destroyed tens of thousands of acres of a rugged "Wild and Scenic" corridor, etc....

Quite frankly at the downstate Oregon Factory where I work, most of folks wanted the kid once he was caught to be charged as an adult and do Ten Years in the State Pen....

In the Court of public opinion in Oregon, he probably is considered to have gotten off light, considering we had environmentalist protesters that torched a few Hummers about 20 years back on a Car Lot in Eugene that are still in prison, while this "kid" doesn't have to do a day of time in the joint....

In Oregon, as well as some of our neighbors right across the Gorge in Washington State, we grew up with Smokey the Bear, Forest Fire alert season, etc....

This is something deeply embedded in the collective consciousness of the State, and yes the kid got off light considering there is no jail time involved, and a huge financial penalty that will never be repaid to taxpayers....

I'm hoping the Judge did the right thing, considering this was a minor after all, but still I suspect there are many Oregonians from a wide variety of background who consider this to be a "slap on the wrist" judgement.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2018, 10:46:59 PM by Old School Republican »

It's good to know the forests will be coming back and will be as wonderful as ever... but this teenager wont!  Why not just shoot the guy in the head?  People get a lot less for the unnecessary death of a loved one.

Well, I do have to say that public opinion in Oregon was overwhelmingly in favor of massive criminal charges against this "kid", regardless of political identification (Republican/Democrat/Libertarian/Green), regions of the Oregon, Household Income, etc....

This was a huge disaster that could have potentially caused a significant number of deaths fighting the fire, cost taxpayers tens of Millions of Dollars, destroyed Millions and Millions of dollars of Private Property, destroyed tens of thousands of acres of a rugged "Wild and Scenic" corridor, etc....

Quite frankly at the downstate Oregon Factory where I work, most of folks wanted the kid once he was caught to be charged as an adult and do Ten Years in the State Pen....

In the Court of public opinion in Oregon, he probably is considered to have gotten off light, considering we had environmentalist protesters that torched a few Hummers about 20 years back on a Car Lot in Eugene that are still in prison, while this "kid" doesn't have to do a day of time in the joint....

In Oregon, as well as some of our neighbors right across the Gorge in Washington State, we grew up with Smokey the Bear, Forest Fire alert season, etc....

This is something deeply embedded in the collective consciousness of the State, and yes the kid got off light considering there is no jail time involved, and a huge financial penalty that will never be repaid to taxpayers....

I'm hoping the Judge did the right thing, considering this was a minor after all, but still I suspect there are many Oregonians from a wide variety of background who consider this to be a "slap on the wrist" judgement.

Oh I know that and I too supported throwing the book at him originally  and have him spend 7-10 years in prison for the crime . What happened to the Gorge was extremely tragic and one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen may never be the same .

Also  all of Portland was covered in smoke for 2 weeks after that and some days we had ash fall on our car .

I think though now having him be in juvie till he is 21 along with with like around 10 years of probation and 10,000 hours of community service would have been better than this fine .

Not that I feel any sympathy for him as he is a scumbag for doing this .
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 10:46:23 PM »

It's good to know the forests will be coming back and will be as wonderful as ever... but this teenager wont!  Why not just shoot the guy in the head?  People get a lot less for the unnecessary death of a loved one.

The fine disappears at age 25. That's perfectly reasonable. A four year penalty on saving relative to your peers. Hard to imagine a more just outcome.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 10:51:03 PM »

The fine disappears at age 25. That's perfectly reasonable. A four year penalty on saving relative to your peers. Hard to imagine a more just outcome.

Don’t you think sending him to juvie might have been a better punishment than a fine he will never be able to pay back
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »

Don’t you think sending him to juvie might have been a better punishment than a fine he will never be able to pay back

No. Prisons should be abolished.

There would have to be a very good case that his home life could not be structured properly to improve this individual.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »

Waaaaaaaaay too harsh punishment. I think a 10k fine, a couple years of probation, and 1000 hours of community service sounds about right.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »

Waaaaaaaaay too harsh punishment. I think a 10k fine, a couple years of probation, and 1000 hours of community service sounds about right.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »

I agree. It's a shame that a lynch mob mentality concerning the profile of the crime affects sentencing so much.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »

I agree. It's a shame that a lynch mob mentality concerning the profile of the crime affects sentencing so much.

It was a massive forest fire which trapped 150 hikers: http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2017/sep/02/about-150-hikers-trapped-fire-eagle-creek-trail/

Thankfully they were all rescued before it was too late but the fire could have been life-threatening to them.

This is not even taking into the fact all the smoke which covered Portland for weeks and made it's air worse than Beijing for the first few days(Along with ash falling) , the destruction of many people's property in the area, along with the destruction of some of the most scenic areas in the country.

People have gotten  sent to prison for starting much smaller fires then this before

While I think the 36 million fine is way too excessive, I think he should have been sent to Juvie for this.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies