WA-8: Reichert retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:32:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-8: Reichert retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: WA-8: Reichert retiring  (Read 20668 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »

Don't forget Anthony Brown in Maryland and Karen Handel in Georgia!

Good catch!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »

I guess Karen Handel probably doesn't really count since she never actually appeared in a general election.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2017, 05:28:12 PM »

As well as Hanabusa, Faso, Comer, Pearce and McClintock.

There really are a lot.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »

It's probably a "shrug, I wanna do politics but statewide kicked my ass. I guess this'll do." moment.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »

Parties reward candidates who may have value by backing them to house seats. This seems to be the same for failed statewide candidates.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »

There really are a lot.

most of these people run cuz when they ran statewide they did unusually well in the state overall (Rossi), or in a certain cd that they then represent(Christ won Pinellas by 11 in 2014)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »

There really are a lot.

most of these people run cuz when they ran statewide they did unusually well in the state overall (Rossi), or in a certain cd that they then represent(Christ won Pinellas by 11 in 2014)

Checkpoint Charlie is far from Jesus
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »

There really are a lot.

True, but over half of U.S Senators (not including the newly elected 2016 class which I haven't looked at) have also lost at least one election somewhere along the way.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »

After noticing on politics1.com that the only Democrat in the race who held an elected position was no longer mentioned (Tola Marts an Issaquah City Councillor) I wanted to see if and why he had dropped out.  (He mentioned he wasn't very successful in fundraising, but an earlier article written about him also wrote that even while running he seemed to be much more interested in his day job as a medical researcher.)

I thought this was a decent article on the remaining candidates, though there is a bit of hypocrisy in the article, I think, for being rather snarky while complaining that one of the candidates is 'condescending.'

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/10/02/25447633/democratic-candidates-for-washingtons-8th-district-are-beginning-to-distinguish-themselves
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »

After noticing on politics1.com that the only Democrat in the race who held an elected position was no longer mentioned (Tola Marts an Issaquah City Councillor) I wanted to see if and why he had dropped out.  (He mentioned he wasn't very successful in fundraising, but an earlier article written about him also wrote that even while running he seemed to be much more interested in his day job as a medical researcher.)

I thought this was a decent article on the remaining candidates, though there is a bit of hypocrisy in the article, I think, for being rather snarky while complaining that one of the candidates is 'condescending.'

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/10/02/25447633/democratic-candidates-for-washingtons-8th-district-are-beginning-to-distinguish-themselves

"The Stranger" has this weird habit of going 90% of the way there on really solid political coverage on local issues before tripping over their feet by getting super smug/snarky/annoying. They've got a super team of local beat reporters/coverage on WA politics, just wish that they didn't write like a bunch of holier-than-thou Seattle hipsters. Then again, I'm not their target demo.

Rittereiser seems the clear choice to me. Being able to speak to both halves of the district will offset Rossi's strength in the one part where D's would otherwise need to run up massive numbers
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »

"The Stranger" has this weird habit of going 90% of the way there on really solid political coverage on local issues before tripping over their feet by getting super smug/snarky/annoying. They've got a super team of local beat reporters/coverage on WA politics, just wish that they didn't write like a bunch of holier-than-thou Seattle hipsters. Then again, I'm not their target demo.

Rittereiser seems the clear choice to me. Being able to speak to both halves of the district will offset Rossi's strength in the one part where D's would otherwise need to run up massive numbers

Yeah, Ritterseiser is definitely the best D running atm.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2017, 07:26:55 PM »

Agree with Ritterseiser probably being the strongest, though I like Das.

Also the Stranger employs some very good writers (Heidi Groover) and some very annoying d**kheads (Dan Savage)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2017, 09:45:12 AM »

Also the Stranger employs some very good writers (Heidi Groover) and some very annoying d**kheads (Dan Savage)

Savage has coasted on making fun of Rick Santorum a decade ago for a loooong time

Though I do credit him for being a major voice in the marriage equality debate in WA in 2012. Crazy how fast that issue died down in just a half decade
Seattle
United States

« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2017, 09:48:16 AM »

Savage has coasted on making fun of Rick Santorum a decade ago for a loooong time

Though I do credit him for being a major voice in the marriage equality debate in WA in 2012. Crazy how fast that issue died down in just a half decade
Also on housing. http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/05/22/25158186/doing-something-real-about-gentrification-and-displacement
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »

Also on housing. http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/05/22/25158186/doing-something-real-about-gentrification-and-displacement

Good article; and he's 100% right. I'm surprised the Stranger published it since they've incubated many anti-gentrification voices over the years, though recently it sounds like they're getting better on that issue.

That comments section though... yeesh
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »

Dino Rossi raises over 500,000 dollars in nine days 95% from in state
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/354975-washington-state-gop-candidate-raises-nearly-600k-in-9-days
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2017, 01:58:58 AM »

The Stranger podcast might be the worst I've ever listened to from a left-wing outfit.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2017, 02:46:20 AM »

So now that we’re in December dino is still the only republican running while it’s a clown car race on the democrats side I still leave the race at lean republican.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »

So now that we’re in December dino is still the only republican running while it’s a clown car race on the democrats side I still leave the race at lean republican.

If it wasn't Dino I would call this a Lean D just from the energized base of Democrats. But if there's anyone that knows how to win there it's Rossi.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »

There really are a lot.
pearce was a rep., then ran statewide, ironically lost his district, then won it back in 2010.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »

If it wasn't Dino I would call this a Lean D just from the energized base of Democrats. But if there's anyone that knows how to win there it's Rossi.
edit-If there is anyone who knows how to come ultra close to winning, it is Rossi.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »

It's not always the case that the side with the more crowded primary loses. In fact, in many recent elections, it's just the opposite.

I'll concede that Rossi will probably overperform a generic R here, but I'd expect a generic R to lose here by at least high single digits, if not double digits. Rossi will probably at least make a race out of this, but I'd rate it a Toss-Up, and my hunch is that it flips to the Democrats, given how toxic Trump is in this district.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »

It's not always the case that the side with the more crowded primary loses. In fact, in many recent elections, it's just the opposite.

I'll concede that Rossi will probably overperform a generic R here, but I'd expect a generic R to lose here by at least high single digits, if not double digits. Rossi will probably at least make a race out of this, but I'd rate it a Toss-Up, and my hunch is that it flips to the Democrats, given how toxic Trump is in this district.
But the dems are already under performing in Washington back in the 45th senate race the gop lost the race by 10 points 55-45 which was a lot better then I thought we would do. But to put that in context the 45th votes for obama 58-40 and Hillary 65-28 so that is a massive under performance and that is the more democrat part of the the eighth if obama had won the 45th by 55-45 then he would have lost the eighth by a point or 2.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »

But the dems are already under performing in Washington back in the 45th senate race the gop lost the race by 10 points 55-45 which was a lot better then I thought we would do. But to put that in context the 45th votes for obama 58-40 and Hillary 65-28 so that is a massive under performance and that is the more democrat part of the the eighth if obama had won the 45th by 55-45 then he would have lost the eighth by a point or 2.
Legislative elections shouldn’t be compared to federal elections. Different issues matter at the state level then at the Presidential and or congressional level and besides as that race determined control of the Washington state senate it very much in a way was a referendum on Jay Inslee and whether you trusted state democrats with a trifecta.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »

It's times like that I wish Alcon, Meeker, bgwah, Ogre Mage, and the other quality posters from Washington hadn't abandoned the forum.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies