WA-8: Reichert retiring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:49:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-8: Reichert retiring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA-8: Reichert retiring  (Read 20661 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 06, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »

Rossi? Really? The perenial loser? Republicans would be smart to nominate someone fresh.
Rossi really you do realize he WON the governors race in 2004 right?
He won the first count and the second count but on third she narrowly won he tried to get 1 last count and the courts said no he is the rightful governor of Washington.

And Al Gore won the 2000 Presidential election.  Not so fun when it happens to your side, is it?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »

Rossi? Really? The perenial loser? Republicans would be smart to nominate someone fresh.
Rossi really you do realize he WON the governors race in 2004 right?
He won the first count and the second count but on third she narrowly won he tried to get 1 last count and the courts said no he is the rightful governor of Washington.

And Al Gore won the 2000 Presidential election.  Not so fun when it happens to your side, is it?
Al gore is fake news I read that the media did recounts and it actually helped bush besides stop lying to yourself the reason gore lost was because the state of New Hampshire voted republican if he won New Hampshire he would have won.

Dino Rossi is fake news I read that the media did recounts and it actually helped gregoire besides stop lying to yourself the reason rossi lost was because the county of King County voted democratic if he won King County he would have won.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »

Still being angry over an election that was 13 years ago is more than a little ridiculous and that's not even the topic of the thread. Move on.

Your party is angry about an election 16 years ago so.....

That's pretty much water under the bridge for most people. Besides, "but such and such" is not really a good rebuttal. No one cheated Rossi, he just lost and Gregoire was the better fit for the state.
If you win twice you win you shouldn't have to do 3 counts for the dem to win
#rigged #rossi4congress
Let it go.

The fact is you guys continue to say that 2000 was rigged yet you guys lost because of a candidate who gave up on Ohio and did nothing in New Hampshire just like your candidate in 2016 didn't even go to Wisconsin Dino won twice and since dems *found* ballots she *won* but like I said there should have been only 1 recount but after the result changed do one more count to make sure that it wasn't a fluke.

So sayth the sock
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 07:27:08 AM »

Per DKE, Mallot's not running, but State House Majority Leader Pat Sullivan and a ex-state representative Chris Hurst are both considering and seem like they could be strong candidates (especially Hurst).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »

A glance at the WA general thread would reveal that there is indeed a good D bench. Wink
Mallot has 4 young daughters, so I see why he looks to be out.

Pat Sullivan would a good candidate. Hurst as well, but isn't he in 70s?

Hurst just has to hold it until redistricting though if he wins.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »

^ IIRC - Hurst is very moderate. Will "activists" support him?

WA-08 isn't really 'activist' territory.

Good that such territories still exist...

Everyone is either too rich and comfortable to care about activism or works a back-breaking low pay job which leaves them with no time or energy to care about activism.

So wonderful, It's the ideal society.

Activists are people who want to make the world better than it currently is. It's good to know there are some areas where people realize everything is perfect already.

Activists are people who want "to make the world better" according to their own ideas about what the better world is, and without asking other people's  opinion on this subject. As a result - save me God from them, i will do everything else myself...

I assume that you despised Martin Luther King, Jr. then? Not exactly surprising, to be fair.

Oh c'mon Wolfentoad. That's obviously not what he meant.

Smoltchanov has stated that he likes racist Dixiecrats in the 1960s because they did what their constituents wanted them to do, so it isn't that big of a leap.

I never said that i liked them. I said, that it was only natural for them to be more or less supportive of segregation (racists) at that time, because 80-90% of their voters supported it. North Carolina defeated 2 congressmen, who refused to sign "Southern Manifest", in 50th - exactly because their voters were inclined to support segregation THEN. I doubt that could happen  now. As i said - you can't go against prevailing district's views without paying a political price. And HERE i agree with George Wallace: when Alabama was a racist, and to win you needed to be too - he was a racist. When Alabama stopped to be racist and changed - so did George Wallace (who got considerable Black support in his last governor race)

P.S. 1 (for better understanding of "native Englih speakers"): Would i vote for James Eastland in 1954 or 1960 if i would be a Mississippi voter (white southerner, as almost all Mississippi voters were then)? Almost sure, because i would be raised that way. Would i vote for "James Eastland-2017" nowHuh Of course - no.

What George Wallace did was even worse because he knew pretty clearly better.  It's part of what made him a truly evil man.  You're only digging yourself a deeper hole by arguing racism/race-baiting politicians fine as long as racism/race-baiting is politically expedient.  Not gonna lie, that's pretty horrible (to say the least)!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »

Fair enough, deleted my last post in the interest of keeping things on topic.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »

After noticing on politics1.com that the only Democrat in the race who held an elected position was no longer mentioned (Tola Marts an Issaquah City Councillor) I wanted to see if and why he had dropped out.  (He mentioned he wasn't very successful in fundraising, but an earlier article written about him also wrote that even while running he seemed to be much more interested in his day job as a medical researcher.)

I thought this was a decent article on the remaining candidates, though there is a bit of hypocrisy in the article, I think, for being rather snarky while complaining that one of the candidates is 'condescending.'

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/10/02/25447633/democratic-candidates-for-washingtons-8th-district-are-beginning-to-distinguish-themselves

"The Stranger" has this weird habit of going 90% of the way there on really solid political coverage on local issues before tripping over their feet by getting super smug/snarky/annoying. They've got a super team of local beat reporters/coverage on WA politics, just wish that they didn't write like a bunch of holier-than-thou Seattle hipsters. Then again, I'm not their target demo.

Rittereiser seems the clear choice to me. Being able to speak to both halves of the district will offset Rossi's strength in the one part where D's would otherwise need to run up massive numbers

Yeah, Ritterseiser is definitely the best D running atm.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2017, 09:25:24 AM by We Have A Pope »

Looking over the D candidates for WA-08 (The ones that matter and have a chance, IMO):

-Mona Das - Seems to be the most progressive, but also has raised the least money and seems to be running the weakest campaign.

-Jason Ritterreiser - Good background in being from Ellensburg, good presentation, not incredibly specific on policy, basically Generic D but that's a lot of Washington politicians. I think the strongest option.

-Kim Schrier - Leading the fundraising thanks to an EMILY's List endorsement. Running on more of a centrist platform. Is also the CONFRONT RUSSIA candidate in the race. My least favorite, which means she'll probably crush the primary.

-Stephen Hader - Wonky progressive, helped write the ACA, running a grassroots campaign, it's a shame he's so incredibly unlikable personality wise.

I like Ritterreiser too, I think he'd beat Rossi.  Schrier could get the Democratic run-off spot, but from what I've read, it sounds like Ritterreiser has also been getting some national support too so hopefully he'll snag a run-off spot.  My guess is that it'll be Ritterreiser vs. Rossi with the former winning, but you probably know the area better than me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies