Who will end up on the Iron Throne? (Game of Thrones)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:48:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Who will end up on the Iron Throne? (Game of Thrones)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who will end up on the Iron Throne? (Game of Thrones)
Jon Snow / Aegon Targaryen, Sixth of His Name

Daenerys Targaryen, First of Her Name

Sansa Stark, First of Her Name

Tyrion Lannister, Speaker of the House of Lords

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Who will end up on the Iron Throne? (Game of Thrones)  (Read 3212 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »

Dany ending up as ruler of Westeros is the dumbest possible ending.  The Iron Throne is something that she's hoped to gain for for most of the series, so the ending is that she does indeed get it?  Boring.  What is her character arc then?  She learns how to be a better ruler?  Again, boring.  Somewhat better would be her having to make a choice between gaining the throne and something more important (e.g., the survival of the human race).

I guess Jon ending up on the throne would be a little better, but still not my preferred outcome.  If anyone's going to end up as a monarch at the end (and I still think it's possible that no one will), my preference would actually be Sansa.  Her arc would be that she got what she wanted from the beginning (to be queen), but not under the circumstances that she wanted, and only after all of her fantasies about the royal life have been shattered.

Yes, I just said that a similar arc would be dumb for Dany, but that's because Dany has already been a Queen for half the series, so I don't think it works the same for her.  It would work better for Sansa, if they're going to go that route with anyone.

Before we talk about character arcs, let me remind you that one of the show-runners (David Benioff) is a man who has been quoted as saying "Themes are for eighth grade book reports."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »

Dany ending up as ruler of Westeros is the dumbest possible ending.  The Iron Throne is something that she's hoped to gain for for most of the series, so the ending is that she does indeed get it?  Boring.  What is her character arc then?  She learns how to be a better ruler?  Again, boring.  Somewhat better would be her having to make a choice between gaining the throne and something more important (e.g., the survival of the human race).

I guess Jon ending up on the throne would be a little better, but still not my preferred outcome.  If anyone's going to end up as a monarch at the end (and I still think it's possible that no one will), my preference would actually be Sansa.  Her arc would be that she got what she wanted from the beginning (to be queen), but not under the circumstances that she wanted, and only after all of her fantasies about the royal life have been shattered.

Yes, I just said that a similar arc would be dumb for Dany, but that's because Dany has already been a Queen for half the series, so I don't think it works the same for her.  It would work better for Sansa, if they're going to go that route with anyone.

Before we talk about character arcs, let me remind you that one of the show-runners (David Benioff) is a man who has been quoted as saying "Themes are for eighth grade book reports."

Yes, but Martin told them about how he's ending the series, so unless Martin is a liar and Benioff and Weiss are both liars, they have a thumbnail sketch of Martin's intended ending.  Thus, it's very possible that at least for things like which main characters live or die and who rules Westeros at the end of the story, the show will take cues from Martin's version of the story.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2017, 11:22:22 AM by Frodo »

It looks like Yara Greyjoy is dead, after all, according to this lineup of returning cast members for Season 8 (with filming beginning this month, and concluding next summer):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

source

That said, I'm not seeing Euron, the Mountain, or Gendry either.  So this could be an incomplete listing.  

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »

Those are regulars.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2018, 04:58:13 PM by Frodo »

With the eighth (and final) season beginning next April, would anyone else want to speculate?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »

Just want to say that I will be SUPER disappointed and underwhelmed if they deal with the Night King in episode 3 or 4 (as is being commonly predicted) and then turn south for a final battle with Cersei ... not only is that conflict so much pettier, but it would be such a ripoff after spending seven seasons coaching us on "break the wheel," "the real war is with the Night King," "we have to put aside our differences," etc. and then just dispose of this villain only for the final climax to just be another battle between humans for that damn chair.  I'm holding out cautious optimism that episode 3 (one of two episodes we know will feature a big battle) will feature Winterfell falling to the Army of the Dead with our favorite characters fleeing south, and episode 5 (the other one confirmed to be a big battle) will feature a final conflict with the White Walkers closer to the God's Eye.

Unfortunately, I fear that we will indeed see this series-long threat of the White Walkers dealt with about halfway through the final season, which will be oh so lame.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 12:39:07 PM »

I'm holding out cautious optimism that episode 3 (one of two episodes we know will feature a big battle) will feature Winterfell falling to the Army of the Dead with our favorite characters fleeing south, and episode 5 (the other one confirmed to be a big battle) will feature a final conflict with the White Walkers closer to the God's Eye.
I have not heard this idea yet, that would way better than the way most people are predicting.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »

I'm holding out cautious optimism that episode 3 (one of two episodes we know will feature a big battle) will feature Winterfell falling to the Army of the Dead with our favorite characters fleeing south, and episode 5 (the other one confirmed to be a big battle) will feature a final conflict with the White Walkers closer to the God's Eye.
I have not heard this idea yet, that would way better than the way most people are predicting.

*Prepare your tin foil hat*

I watch some GoT YouTube channels on my lunch break sometimes, and there were a few that dissected that teaser trailer, and it was speculated that the ice freezing the wolf might be foreshadowing that Winterfell will fall.  Also, I recall rumors from the set that some of the Dothraki actors were seen on horseback in the all green uniforms that they give the Wights (to then edit them with CGI in post-production), so that would imply a significant addition to the NK's army and, IMO, a defeat at Winterfell.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 11:18:51 PM »

I would have still considered her a remote possibility... but she proved this season that won't happen. Not only does she absolutely abhor it... she told Sansa how she'd kill every lord who disagreed with Jon. Like... that's worse than Joffrey. She wouldn't last a day with that attitude.

Is OP talking about the books or show?  Because for all practical purposes, they might as well be treated as two completely distinct and unrelated entities who happen to have characters sharing the same names.  The complete and utter bastardization of Arya in the show is a great example of this; ShowArya and BookArya really don’t have much of anything in common anymore from both a story arc and characterization perspective.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »

I would have still considered her a remote possibility... but she proved this season that won't happen. Not only does she absolutely abhor it... she told Sansa how she'd kill every lord who disagreed with Jon. Like... that's worse than Joffrey. She wouldn't last a day with that attitude.

Is OP talking about the books or show?  Because for all practical purposes, they might as well be treated as two completely distinct and unrelated entities who happen to have characters sharing the same names.  The complete and utter bastardization of Arya in the show is a great example of this; ShowArya and BookArya really don’t have much of anything in common anymore from both a story arc and characterization perspective.

I hear you, but the creators and GRRM have made sure that the major plot points are in sync. For example, once the shows passed the books, GRRM told them about "Hold the Door," burning of Shireen, R+L=J, etc., to make sure that there wouldn't be any major convergence.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »

Is OP talking about the books or show?  Because for all practical purposes, they might as well be treated as two completely distinct and unrelated entities who happen to have characters sharing the same names.  The complete and utter bastardization of Arya in the show is a great example of this; ShowArya and BookArya really don’t have much of anything in common anymore from both a story arc and characterization perspective.

I hear you, but the creators and GRRM have made sure that the major plot points are in sync. For example, once the shows passed the books, GRRM told them about "Hold the Door," burning of Shireen, R+L=J, etc., to make sure that there wouldn't be any major convergence.

What I remember reading was that GRRM told them certain key plot points, but not how the characters end up there, the situational context (which I’m pretty sure will be pretty different when Shireen is burned), etc.  Also, it remains to be seen how closely D&D follow what they were told given what we’ve seen from the show so far.  Ex: Removing the Valonquer stuff is a huge divergence.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »

^ I remember seeing a quote from one of the Ds that said they felt their ending "did justice to George's stated vision" - paraphrasing, and take that however you may.  I am cautiously optimistic that this last one will be a bit more like season six in style than season seven, though it will probably be a blend of both.  Honestly, it's kind of encouraging that the first teaser emphasized the "ice and fire" element of the story so heavily.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »

Season 8 is almost here!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 04:46:38 PM »

I've been binging, I think I'm actually going to finish this year before the season starts.  I'm on episode 9 of season 6 (Battle of the Bastards).  I just noticed when looking that up, the last episode ever is going to air on my birthday. Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 11:46:12 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »

I actually read somewhere

POTENTIAL SPOILERS
So I read online that one of the trailers potentially spoiled both Jon and Daenerys surviving the Battle of Winterfell as it shows both of them back at Dragonstone. Jon and Dany arrive at Winterfell in the premier and the big battle with the Night's King is said to be in Episode 3. So the only reason they would be back at Dragonstone would be after the battle, signaling their survival.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »

I’m sure book-readers like me will find something to complain about no matter who it is Tongue
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »

So pumped ... based on the teasers and the trailer, I think they are probably going to avoid the monumentally dumb writing mistake of killing off the White Walkers threat in Episode 3 (presumably the big battle at Winterfell) only to have the main, final conflict be just another civil war for the Throne they have been putting in seven seasons' work worth of delegitimizing ... my prediction as of now is that our heroes lose the battle in Episode 3 and have to flea south, making the final battle (presumably in Episode 5) kind of a hybrid conflict of them trying to take King's Landing in time for them to be able to defend against the White Walkers one more time only to have the White Walkers show up during a battle with Cersei.  That'd be epic.

Also, the Throne cannot survive the series, I'm sorry.  All of this foreshadowing of "breaking the wheel" and themes of nobility oppressing the common folk and this all being a broken system and "the real war" yet to come from the threat to the north and all that ... it'd be completely ruined by the Throne being heralded as the final prize still and our characters learning nothing.  Not George's style, IMO.  The world they have left will have to be fundamentally changed, and I believe that they will have to do something to defeat the Night King that will "ruin" the Westeros they knew going forward, including probably the complete destruction of King's Landing.

So excited!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »

So pumped ... based on the teasers and the trailer, I think they are probably going to avoid the monumentally dumb writing mistake of killing off the White Walkers threat in Episode 3 (presumably the big battle at Winterfell) only to have the main, final conflict be just another civil war for the Throne they have been putting in seven seasons' work worth of delegitimizing ... my prediction as of now is that our heroes lose the battle in Episode 3 and have to flea south, making the final battle (presumably in Episode 5) kind of a hybrid conflict of them trying to take King's Landing in time for them to be able to defend against the White Walkers one more time only to have the White Walkers show up during a battle with Cersei.  That'd be epic.

Also, the Throne cannot survive the series, I'm sorry.  All of this foreshadowing of "breaking the wheel" and themes of nobility oppressing the common folk and this all being a broken system and "the real war" yet to come from the threat to the north and all that ... it'd be completely ruined by the Throne being heralded as the final prize still and our characters learning nothing.  Not George's style, IMO.  The world they have left will have to be fundamentally changed, and I believe that they will have to do something to defeat the Night King that will "ruin" the Westeros they knew going forward, including probably the complete destruction of King's Landing.

So excited!

Tbf, the "themes are for book reports" (actual quote) style of D&D's show couldn't be more different than GRRM's style.  At this point, GOT has basically become a beer and wings show about dragons and ice zombies Sad
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 04:35:09 PM »

So excited!

Tbf, the "themes are for book reports" (actual quote) style of D&D's show couldn't be more different than GRRM's style.  At this point, GOT has basically become a beer and wings show about dragons and ice zombies Sad

True, but I am hopeful that the "broad strokes" George gave them to finish the series and that they claim they have been faithful to will be, err, "narrow enough" that even D&D can't dumb them down too much.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »

I know who's gonna end up on the Porcelain throne soon...me.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2019, 11:06:52 PM »

Last takes?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2019, 02:04:56 AM »

With King's Landing destroyed and Jon not wanting the throne, there's only two likely possibilities.

1. Daenerys Targaryen, First of Her Name

2. The Seven Kingdoms regain their independence.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »

Don't care anymore.

The fanbase has just completely ruined any enjoyment I have for this show.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »

With King's Landing destroyed and Jon not wanting the throne, there's only two likely possibilities.

1. Daenerys Targaryen, First of Her Name

2. The Seven Kingdoms regain their independence.

Something that the books but not the show made pretty clear was that Westeros is currently more stable and peaceful than it ever was as multiple kingdoms. The area between the Reach, the Stormlands, and Dorne was a march constantly facing invasion or attack. The Crownlands as well was a no-mans-land constantly being invaded. The North and the Vale were also at each other’s throats over the Sisters. The Riverlands has been invaded at times by the Stormlands, Westerlands, Vale and most recently conquered by the Iron Islands, who would also raid up and down the coast. With the major exception of the North, I think most of the Westerosi nobility understands that things are better as is and would want the Iron Throne to continue on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies