Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:22:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple  (Read 7438 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »

"In a major upcoming Supreme Court case that weighs equal rights with religious liberty, the Trump administration on Thursday sided with a Colorado baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

The Department of Justice on Thursday filed a brief on behalf of baker Jack Phillips, who was found to have violated the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act by refusing to created a cake to celebrate the marriage of Charlie Craig and David Mullins in 2012. Phillips said he doesn’t create wedding cakes for same-sex couples because it would violate his religious beliefs."

"The DOJ also has taken the stance that gay workers are not entitled to job protections under federal anti-discrimination laws. Since 2015, the Equal Employment and Opportunity Commission has taken the opposite stance, saying Title VII, the civil-rights statute that covers workers, protects against bias based on sexual orientation."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/in-major-supreme-court-case-justice-dept-sides-with-baker-who-refused-to-make-wedding-cake-for-gay-couple/2017/09/07/fb84f116-93f0-11e7-89fa-bb822a46da5b_story.html
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »

But Republicans told me Trump would be nice to the gays and he wouldn't hurt them!!1!!!!!!!11!
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:44:21 PM »

It's nice to see Trump stand up for an issue I agree with him on. While we need additional federal legislation for LGBT employment and housing protection, when it comes to a service directly related to a wedding, religious freedom must be protected. Kasich said in the primary debates (paraphrasing): "If someone doesn't want to photograph your wedding, find another photographer. Don't go to Court." The same principle applies to wedding cakes.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »

It's nice to see Trump stand up for an issue I agree with him on. While we need additional federal legislation for LGBT employment and housing protection, when it comes to a service directly related to a wedding, religious freedom must be protected. Kasich said in the primary debates (paraphrasing): "If someone doesn't want to photograph your wedding, find another photographer. Don't go to Court." The same principle applies to wedding cakes.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »

I don't get the purpose of suing to have the right to give your money to someone that hates you.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »

A crappy move on the baker's part, but hey, he/she was turning away money, and will probably lose more customers for his/her actions
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:13:28 PM »

I don't get the purpose of suing to have the right to give your money to someone that hates you.

Also this.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

We can't stop winning!!!! Gorsuch has truly been a godsend.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »

We can't stop winning!!!! Gorsuch has truly been a godsend.

This is Sessions or one of the deputies. SCOTUS hasn't heard the CO Baker case yet.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »

A crappy move on the baker's part, but hey, he/she was turning away money, and will probably lose more customers for his/her actions

Wrong, he will gain a lot more money by becoming a right wing hero.

And what if no one in town will photograph your wedding? And does your opinion change if the photographer won't serve interracial couples, interfaith couples, disableds, Catholics, Jews, etc.?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 07:53:10 PM »

I don't believe anyone should be forced to provide a service directly related to any wedding.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 08:07:58 PM »

Good to know that some people would be okay with someone denying services to an interracial couple.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 03:19:13 AM by Old School Republican »

Small businesses should have right to deny service to anyone, even though it would be a horrible thing to do .

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »

I don't believe anyone any private individual should be forced to provide a service directly related to any wedding.
FTFY

Clearly any government employee who issues wedding licenses or performs civil marriages must do their job.  Also any government facility that allows itself to be used for weddings must allow weddings to be held there regardless of the genders of the two future spouses.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »

Small businesses should have right to deny service to anyone .

Define exactly a "small business" (for your weird exception).
What about a medium-size business.
Why exceptions for "small businesses," and not other sized businesses.
Do you see the problem.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »

Small businesses should have right to deny service to anyone.

So you oppose the Civil Rights Acts?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »

I don't believe anyone should be forced to provide a service directly related to any wedding.

Again, why the strange exception to only "weddings" ?
What if a gay couple wanted a cake for celebration of their 1 year dating anniversary (many couples of all types celebrate dating anniversaries) ?
That would be OK then, right ? Well it's not a "wedding."
What if a gay couple wanted a cake for their adopted daughter's birthday, and the owner refused because he was "repulsed" (like the good, loving Christians that they are) just by the sight of the couple in his/her store ?

Where do the strange exceptions start and stop ? When is it acceptable or not acceptable to everyday, normal social contact that WE WANT IN OUR NATION ?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »

Of course I support the Civil Rights Act

Private Buisnesses not hiring someone based on race and sex is a civil rights violation  , but denying services To customers is not a civil rights violation in any sense of the word .

So not serving someone because they're black is not a civil rights issue? sh**t, you people are the ones who are mentally ill.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »

Private Buisnesses not hiring someone based on race and sex is a civil rights violation  , but denying services To customers is not a civil rights violation in any sense of the word .

So not serving someone because they're black is not a civil rights issue? sh**t, you people are the ones who are mentally ill.
Are you drunk?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »

You don't have a right to receive a cake to celebrate a wedding .

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »

You don't have a right in the constitution to not be raped either but we have laws for that.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 09:03:06 PM »

Put it this way- if an Italian family opens a restaurant and wants to only serve Italians, that should absolutely be their right, even if that means I couldn't eat there since I'm not Italian.  I think private businesses should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, and the court of public opinion and economic factors will prohibit any discrimination.  Today, it's not like we would have lots of restaurants refusing to serve black people (and if one tried, they would lose like 95% of their business and be forced to close).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 09:17:07 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2017, 02:41:27 AM by Vice President PiT »

Private Buisnesses not hiring someone based on race and sex is a civil rights violation  , but denying services To customers is not a civil rights violation in any sense of the word .

That is an outrageous accusation, and I specifically said  businesses that arent small businesses or family owned restaurants do not have the right to deny service.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »

Again, why the strange exception to only "weddings" ?
What if a gay couple wanted a cake for celebration of their 1 year dating anniversary (many couples of all types celebrate dating anniversaries) ?
That would be OK then, right ? Well it's not a "wedding."
What if a gay couple wanted a cake for their adopted daughter's birthday, and the owner refused because he was "repulsed" (like the good, loving Christians that they are) just by the sight of the couple in his/her store ?

Where do the strange exceptions start and stop ? When is it acceptable or not acceptable to everyday, normal social contact that WE WANT IN OUR NATION ?
You just blew a gaping hole right in Wulfric's tight logic clot.  This is how he weaves through various social issues... by making rigid rules with weird exceptions.  I'm beginning to wonder if he invented the German language as well.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2017, 02:41:50 AM by Vice President PiT »

Private Buisnesses not hiring someone based on race and sex is a civil rights violation  , but denying services To customers is not a civil rights violation in any sense of the word .

That is an outrageous accusation, and I specifically said  businesses that arent small businesses or family owned restaurants do not have the right to deny service.

LOL.
Was that suppose to help your argument (in any way, shape or form) ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies