An American Tradition | The 42nd President of the United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:06:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An American Tradition | The 42nd President of the United States
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: An American Tradition | The 42nd President of the United States  (Read 5459 times)
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »
« edited: November 09, 2017, 02:18:20 AM by EdgeofNight »

Prologue

Thank you all so much.  I just called President Bush and offered my congratulations on a successful re-election campaign. I wish him well in the White House for these next four years. Here's the way I see it -- the country has spoken. Our process is an American tradition, and we should respect it, even if we don’t always like it or agree with it.

I thank all of my family, my volunteers, and of course all of the folks who came out and supported me for President,  for putting in the effort to change the direction of this country.

In times as difficult as these, it’s easy to become lost in the campaign. But at the end of the day, we all have to remember that we are Americans, regardless of what party we support or who we voted for. Now, I ask for everyone to come together so that we can support President Bush as he leads this nation to the greatness I know it can achieve…

Governor Bill Clinton conceded the Presidential race after the New Jersey recount found that Bush had won the state by a margin of 243 votes.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 03:37:32 PM »

Will be following this with interest!
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »

George Bush wins re-election by a close margin. POD is Perot doesn't run or Perot doesn't debate. Perot costed Bush the 1992 election
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2017, 02:50:04 PM by EdgeofNight »

Chapter 1: The Aftermath

Two Parties in crisis.

Somehow, republicans clung to power in the Oval Office. Against all odds, President George Bush had defeated his younger, more charismatic, and certainly more popular challenger. But it was a hollow victory. The president was re-elected with no popular mandate, and a hostile congress, which made potential to govern bleak. And beyond the last four years of the Bush Presidency, the future of the party didn’t look well. Bush had lost several states considered reliably republican, including Vermont and California. And with economic turmoil and crises in Africa, the already unpopular president would have to find a way to lead a country that didn’t want him in power.

Democrats on the other hand, had lost the past four presidential elections, three of them in landslides. Even when they had economic turmoil and a charismatic young candidate, they couldn’t seem to win. Many voters in the next election wouldn’t remember the last democratic presidency, new voters wouldn’t even have been alive during the Carter Administration. The victory of Carter in 1976 seemed more and more like a fluke, and since 1960, Democrats had prevailed in only a third of presidential elections.

Public Reaction

I think the system is broken. I would love to see a productive dialogue on how we could fix it.” Senator and former Vice Presidential Candidate Al Gore on the Today Show, 1992.

I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion just to hinder President Bush. Democrats are upset that they lost and they need something to blame besides themselves.” - Congressman Newt Gingrich (R-GA) on Both Sides with Jesse Jackson, 1992

Well all I can say is we need to fix something. I don’t think it’s right that the man who gets less votes wins. It just doesn’t make sense to me.” - Former presidential candidate Ross Perot (I-TX) on Larry King, 1993.

I wish him all the best. I don’t think any American is wishing the President anything but the best. But we can’t continue to say that we are a democratic nation if we continue to deny the will of the people.” -  Newly elected Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI) on Crossfire, 1993.

We have a system, we have always had this system. Just because some people don’t like it doesn’t mean we should go and change it. Governor Clinton said that himself.” -Congressman Rick Santorum (R-PA) in a statement to the Washington Post, 1993.

Gallup Poll, January 1993

Thinking for a moment about the way in which the president is elected in this country, which would you prefer to amend the constitution so the candidate who receives the most total votes nationwide wins the election?

Yes - 46%
No - 23%

Taken as a whole, do you approve of President Bush’s performance in office?

Yes - 40%
No - 51%
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »

Man, the Democratic field in 1996 is gonna be the strongest primary field of all time. Just think about it. Mario Cuomo, Sam Nunn, Al Gore, Jay Rockefeller, Ann Richards, and Lloyd Bensten.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:30:10 PM »

Man, the Democratic field in 1996 is gonna be the strongest primary field of all time. Just think about it. Mario Cuomo, Sam Nunn, Al Gore, Jay Rockefeller, Ann Richards, and Lloyd Bensten.
What about Paul Tsongas, if he doesn't have cancer ITTL? Or maybe even Ted Kennedy?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »

What about Paul Tsongas, if he doesn't have cancer ITTL? Or maybe even Ted Kennedy?
A cancer-free Tsongas would be a pretty good general election candidate, but I don't see him getting through the primaries. Ted Kennedy would be too old to run, me thinks.   
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 04:41:43 PM »

A cancer-free Tsongas would be a pretty good general election candidate, but I don't see him getting through the primaries. Ted Kennedy would be too old to run, me thinks.   

I could see Tsongas winning if the other candidates are all populists - such as Nunn, Jackson, Clinton, Gore, Feingold, and Cuomo. If an economic moderate like Ron Wyden or Lloyd Bentsen runs, I don't think Tsongas would.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »

I could see Tsongas winning if the other candidates are all populists - such as Nunn, Jackson, Clinton, Gore, Feingold, and Cuomo. If an economic moderate like Ron Wyden or Lloyd Bentsen runs, I don't think Tsongas would.
Wasn't Gore a centrist New Democrat Third Way type?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »

aww Id love to see a President Ann Richards
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 01:23:57 AM »

Please let President Jerry Brown be a thing!
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »

Chapter 2: Bush’s second term.

Foreign Policy in the Bush Administration, 1993 - 1997

“..and that is why today, I have made the decision to deploy US peacekeepers to Somalia...”

The decision to put U.S forces on the ground, in the minds of President Bush and many in his cabinet, was necessary. The force was present to protect supplies and ensure the safety of existing UN operatives.  Foreign policy had always been the Bush Administration's strength,  and the President was determined to see his “New World Order” through to completion. While the initial entrance to the conflict was met warmly, the mission quickly lost support. As starvation continued, order began to break down further. Following the Battle of Mogadishu, in which 20 US servicemen killed, the mission lost popular support. Still, despite increasing calls to withdraw forces, Bush insisted on continuing the mission. The mission would last from December 1992 to June 1995. While thousands of civilians were saved by the mission, it did little to improve the stability of Somalia, and to this day it remains a hotbed of terrorist activities and civil war, though the nation is showing signs of recovery.

A much more controversial African intervention was in Rwanda. The Bush Administration had been hesitant to commit to intervention, but as more and more intel came in, the President felt the US and UN was obligated to step in and react. He instructed the US Ambassador to the United Nations to lobby for a new mandate in Rwanda. As a result of effort by the Bush administration, the UNAMIR was reformed under a clear mandate, led by Lieutenant General Roméo Dallaire, who commanded a brigade of 5,000 men. With the already controversial (and expensive) missions in the Balkans and Somalia, Anti-War activists, including those in the United States Congress, reacted sharply to the president’s decision. Even within his own Administration, The President faced severe backlash. Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney threatened to resign at one point. To this day, the debate rages on about the necessity of the mission. On one hand, Lt. General Dallaire and supporters of the mission argue that without it, hundreds of thousands more people would have been killed. On the other hand, to this day the region is plagued by instability and civil unrest, and the mission fundamentally changed the way the UN operates. Since the intervention in Rwanda, Robust Peacekeeping has become a standard tool in the UN’s arsenal, despite the controversy around it.

Outside of Africa, The Balkans where going to hell rather quickly.  As the situation deteriorated, the administration needed to respond. The president’s advisors wanted to avoid a protracted conflict in the region, fearing a repeat of Vietnam. The Bush Administration also wanted European nations to take the lead on the issue. Still, as the situation worsened, the Bush administration was forced to respond. Despite being initially opposed to it, Bush advocated for a “Lift and Strike Policy”, and later a NATO based air bombing campaign. On this issue, he adopted a platform similar to what his opponent had ran on.

Perhaps the crowning achievement of Bush’s second term was pushing NAFTA through Congress. After considerable debate, NAFTA was signed into law by President Bush in 1993. Opposition to the bill came from both the right and the left, but a bipartisan coalition pushed the bill through both the House and Senate. Opponents of the agreement have argued that the bill has irreversibly damaged US manufacturing, while supporters have pointed to lower prices, increased trade, and higher economic growth. Still, to this day, several have voiced concerns about the agreement, calling for revisions or outright repeal, and the future of Free Trade would become a contentious issue in the 1996 Presidential campaign.

Domestic Policy of George H.W Bush’s Second Term.

The Domestic policy of Bush’s second term remained mostly the same as before. Political commentators noted that the President did not seem deterred by lack of a mandate or allied congress. Bush attempted to pass several tax cuts, but without an allied congress or popular mandate, he lacked the ability to get anything done. To sum up the domestic policy of Bush’s second term, it was more of the same status quo.

1994 Midterms

Senate:

D - 55

R - 45

D - 33
R - 17

So the second term of Bush passes without much anything on the domestic front, and obviously Bush aggressively pushes a “New World Order” foreign policy. Ultimately, the Bush administration is not the story that I want to tell with this timeline, but it is critical for understanding what comes next.

Chapter 3: The 1996 Primaries begin

Pat Buchanan Declares Presidential bid.

April 18th, 1995, Conservative firebrand Pat Buchannan has declared his White House Bid today, becoming the first candidate to do so. Buchanan previously served as a high-level staffer in the Reagan administration, but has become one of the President’s leading conservative critics. In his announcement speech, Buchanan attacked the President as being a “fake conservative” and quipped “I thought I voted for a Republican three years ago.” Buchanan previously considered running against President Bush in the 1992 primaries, but decided against it. In a hypothetical primary against Vice President Quayle, Buchanan polls at 36% nationally and 53% in the first-in-the-nation New Hampshire Primary. Buchanan promised to run his campaign on “American values” and to “put America First” if elected President.

Dan Quayle declares Presidential Bid.

June 10th, 1995, today, the Vice President confirmed the worst held secret in Washington: he’s running for President. In his announcement speech, Quayle promised “eight more years of victories for the average American.” Quayle also promised that he would bring continued stability, at home and abroad.  Quayle is currently the tentative front runner, polling at 37% in a field of 12 potential candidates, including Buchanan.

Al Gore declares Presidential Bid.

“This country needs new leadership, new vision, and I am the perfect candidate for that.”

May 22nd, 1995, Senator Al Gore declared his candidacy for the Democratic Nomination. A center-left leader and former Vice Presidential nominee, Gore is very much in a similar space as Governor Clinton, who Gore ran with in 1992 and who is also considering a run. Gore promised to fix the slow economic recovery, and to lead the charge on a variety of liberal causes. The primary field remains divided, although Gore is currently the frontrunner, polling conducted shows the Senator with 20% support among a field of 17 candidates.

Russ Feingold declares Presidential Bid.

June 3rd, 1995, Wisconsin Senator and Staunch Liberal Russ Feingold declared his presidential bid. Relatively new to national politics, the senator quickly became one of the president’s most vocal liberal critics. He has been characterized as a liberal, a dove, and a political outsider. Feingold has criticized Clinton and Gore as failures of “the centrist establishment” and called Governor Clinton a “fence sitter” in an interview shortly after his announcement.

Former Governor Bob Casey declares Presidential bid.

June 6th, 1995, pro-life democrat Bob Casey, former Governor of Pennsylvania, has declared his presidential bid today. Touting his record as a popular Governor of a critical swing state, Casey has been noted by some as bitter over the 1992 convention. Still, the former governor totes his record as a fiscal liberal, social moderate, as his strongest quality.

Republican Primary National Opinion Polling, Quayle vs Buchanan (Head to Head)
  • Dan Quayle - 41%
  • Pat Buchanan - 36%
  • Unsure - 23%

Republican Primary National Opinion Polling, Multiple Candidates
  • Dan Quayle - 37%
  • Pat Buchanan - 11%
  • Others - 36%
  • Unsure - 16%

Democratic Primary National Opinion Polling, Gore vs Feingold vs Casey
  • Al Gore - 39%
  • Bob Casey - 22%
  • Russ Feingold - 10%
  • Unsure - 29%

Democratic Primary National Opinion Polling, Multiple Candidates
  • Al Gore - 20%
  • Bob Casey - 10%
  • Russ Feingold - 6%
  • Others - 50%
  • Unsure - 14%

Next part, we will finish who is running and isn't running.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 08:52:01 PM »

Former Governor Bob Casey declares Presidential bid.

June 6th, 1995, pro-life democrat Bob Casey, former Governor of Pennsylvania, has declared his presidential bid today. Touting his record as a popular Governor of a critical swing state, Casey has been noted by some as bitter over the 1992 convention. Still, the former governor totes his record as a fiscal liberal, social moderate, as his strongest quality.
Does Casey still have health problems in ITTL (IRL, he strongly considered challenging Clinton in the 1996 primaries but had to back out because of health complications. He would die in March 2000)?
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »

Does Casey still have health problems in ITTL (IRL, he strongly considered challenging Clinton in the 1996 primaries but had to back out because of health complications. He would die in March 2000)?

Yes he does. He is running in spite of those health complications, and they will play a role in the campaign.
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2019, 01:43:57 PM by Dave Leip »

Bill Weld declares Presidential Bid.

June 12th, 1995, the moderate and popular Governor of Massachusetts announced that he would be running for President after shooting down rumors that he would challenge Senator John Kerry for re-election.

Pete Wilson announces White House Run.

June 17th, 1995, the former Senator and current Governor of California declared his candidacy for the White House, calling himself the “second Ronald Reagan.”

Former Congressman Rick Santorum declares longshot Presidential bid.

July 4th, 1995, the relatively unknown former Congressman Rick Santorum announced that he would run for President today. Santorum unsuccessfully ran for Senate in 1994, but was defeated narrowly. Since his retirement from the House, Santorum has traveled the country advocating for conservative causes. He is considered a long shot candidate.

Minority Leader Newt Gingrich running for President.

July 8th, 1995, the Republican House leader and architect of the unsuccessful Contract with America declared today that he would run for President. The sometimes ally, sometimes enemy of the President, Gingrich claims to be the only true conservative running.

Steve Forbes Announces Presidential bid

July 23rd, 1995, the outspoken New York businessman declared that he would seek the Republican nomination, calling for the establishment of a national flat tax and a massive downsizing of Government.

General Colin Powell “Not Interested” in running for office.

August 29th, 1995, the well known Secretary of State, Five Star General and Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Colin Powell shot down rumors that he was going to run for President after polling had him ahead of Buchanan and running only 2 points behind Quayle.

Bob Dole announces third Presidential Bid.

September 23rd, former Senate Majority leader Bob Dole announced that he would retire from the senate to seek the Presidency of the United States for the third time. Dole was previously the Vice Presidential nominee for Gerald Ford in 1976, which lost to then-Governor Jimmy Carter.

Dick Cheney “Not running at this time.”

October 25th, The Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney, who was reportedly considering a White House bid, has today ruled out running for the nation's highest office, and has chosen to endorse Vice President Quayle

Opinion Polling for the Republican Presidential Primary (Nationwide)
  • Vice President Quayle - 24%
  • Mr. Buchanan - 18%
  • Senator Dole - 8%
  • Governor Wilson - 4%
  • Governor Weld - 3%
  • Congressman Gingrich - 2%
  • Mr. Forbes - 2%
  • Fmr. Congressman Santorum - 1%
  • Unsure - 38%

Opinion Polling for the Republican Presidential Primary (Iowa)
  • Vice President Quayle - 17%
  • Mr. Buchanan - 17%
  • Senator Dole - 15%
  • Congressman Gingrich - 9%
  • Governor Wilson - 7%
  • Governor Weld - 4%
  • Mr. Forbes - 2%
  • Unsure - 28%

Opinion Polling for the Republican Presidential Primary (New Hampshire)

• Mr. Buchanan - 18%
  • Vice President Quayle - 15%
  • Governor Weld - 15%
  • Congressman Gingrich - 9%
  • Senator Dole - 9%
  • Governor Wilson - 4%
  • Mr. Forbes - 3%
  • Unsure - 26%

Governor Ann Richards “not running” for President.

June 8th, 1995, Popular Democratic Governor Ann Richards of Texas ruled out a run for president despite rumors that she would seek the Democratic Nomination.

Jerry Brown: “I’m going to run, and I’m going to win.”

June 14th, 1995, Perennial Candidate and Former Governor Jerry Brown declared his fourth presidential bid. Brown was the runner up to Governor Clinton in the 1992 primaries, carrying six states. He has styled himself as a reform candidate, adopting a platform nearly identical to his 1992 platform.

Lloyd Bentsen “I’m running for President.”

June 17th, 1995, Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen, who was the parties 1988  Vice-Presidential nominee, made famous for a commanding victory over Dan Quayle in the vice Presidential debate, the potential for a rematch against Quayle has been the focus of several mass media outlets.

Bob Kerrey “Second Time’s the charm!”

June 23rd, 1995, the Nebraska Senator who once enticed Democrats with his Military and Business background has announced today that he will again seek the Democratic nomination after failing to capture support in the 1992 primaries.

Bill Bradley “I’m running to make America a better place.”

July 4th, 1995, Retiring U.S Senator Bill Bradley declared that he would seek the Democratic Presidential nomination. In Bradley’s announcement, he stylized himself as a pragmatic liberal, taking a position to the left of leading Candidates Gore, Bentsen, Kerrey, and Clinton.

Bill Clinton declares second White House Bid.

July 18th, 1995, Governor Clinton, the Democratic party’s 1992 nominee, has announced today that he will again seek the Presidency. Claiming that he had learned from his mistakes and would “set things right” this time.

Senator Nunn not running for President.
July 19th, 1995, outgoing Senator Sam Nunn has declined to seek the Presidential nomination, saying that he wasn’t interested in the Presidency.

Governor Mario Cuomo: “It’s time for change.”

July 28th, 1996, after years of consideration, New York Governor and liberal icon Mario Cuomo has announced that he will seek the Democratic Nomination for President.

Rep. Schroeder declares longshot Presidential bid.

August 13th, 1995, Congresswoman Pat Schroeder has announced she will seek the Democratic Presidential nomination. The long time congresswoman is seen as a long shot, and currently polls just barely over 1%

Ted Kennedy not running for President.

September 15th,1995, The Lion of the Senate and Liberal firebrand Ted Kennedy has announced that, despite speculation, he will not seek the Presidential Nomination in the next election. “I want to do what I can to help people, and I don’t think I can help many people campaigning…”

Jesse Jackson “I won’t stay quiet, but I’m not running.”

September 18th, 1995, joining fellow liberal icon Ted Kennedy, Jesse Jackson has announced that he will not seek the Presidential nomination.

Former Governor Doug Wilder “I’m running to be your next President!”

October 14th, 1995, former Virginia Governor Doug Wilder has announced that he will see the Democratic Presidential Nomination. The nation’s first African American Governor has styled himself as an economic populist in support of the Death Penalty.

Rep. Gephardt declares his candidacy

December 19th, 1995, becoming the final candidate to declare, Congressman Dick Gephardt has announced that he will run for President in 1996.

Opinion Polling for the Democratic Presidential Primary (Nationwide December 1995)
  • Senator Gore - 15%
  • Governor Clinton - 10%
  • Senator Kerrey - 8%
  • Fmr. Governor Brown - 7%
  • Senator Bentsen - 6%
  • Governor Cuomo - 5%
  • Senator Feingold - 5%
  • Senator Bradley - 4%
  • Fmr. Governor Wilder - 2%
  • Fmr. Governor Casey - 2%
  • Rep. Gephardt - 2%
  • Rep. Schroder - 1%
  • Undecided/Unsure/Other - 53%

Opinion Polling for the Democratic Presidential Primary (Iowa December 1995)
  • Senator Gore -- 25%
  • Governor Clinton -- 13%
  • Senator Bentsen -- 8%
  • Senator Feingold -- 6%
  • Governor Cuomo -- 4%
  • Senator Kerrey -- 3%
  • Fmr. Governor Casey -- 3%
  • Fmr. Governor Brown -- 3%
  • Senator Bradley -- 2%
  • Fmr. Governor Wilder -- 2%
  • Rep. Gephardt -- 1%
  • Rep Schroeder -- 1%
  • Undecided, Unsure, Other -- 29%

Opinion Polling for the Democratic Presidential Primary (New Hampshire December 1995)

• Governor Clinton -- 11%
  • Senator Gore -- 10%
  • Senator Kerrey -- 8%
  • Governor Cuomo -- 7%
  • Senator Feingold -- 6%
  • Senator Bentsen -- 6%
  • Fmr. Governor Casey -- 5%
  • Fmr. Governor Brown -- 4%
  • Senator Bradley -- 3%
  • Rep Schroeder -- 2%
  • Fmr. Governor Wilder -- 1%
  • Rep Gephardt -- 1%
  • Undecided, Unsure, Other -- 36%

Next time will be pre-Iowa fun.
Stm85
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »

I know it's a long shot, but go Forbes!
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »

Governor Mario Cuomo “It’s time for change.”

July 28th, 1996, after years of consideration, New York Governor and liberal icon Mario Cuomo has announced that he will seek the Democratic Nomination for President.

It is impossible to put into words how much I endorse this man.

Also why is Casey polling so low? I thought the Conservative Democrats would all get behind him.
Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »

Chapter 4: The Trail to Iowa, New Hampshire.

Bill Bradley ends presidential campaign, not endorsing “anyone at this time.”

Opinion Polling for the Democratic Presidential Primary (Nationwide January 1996)
    • Senator Gore -- 16%
    • Governor Clinton -- 13%
    • Fmr. Governor Brown -- 10%
    • Senator Feingold -- 8%
    • Governor Cuomo -- 7%
    • Senator Kerrey -- 6%
    • Senator Bentsen -- 5%
    • Fmr. Governor Casey -- 2%
    • Rep. Schroder -- 2%
    • Undecided/Unsure/Other -- 31%
    Opinion Polling for the Democratic Presidential Primary (Iowa January 1996)
    • Senator Gore -- 27%
    • Governor Clinton -- 18%
    • Senator Feingold -- 12%
    • Governor Cuomo -- 8%
    • Fmr. Governor Brown -- 6%
    • Senator Bentsen -- 4%
    • Senator Kerrey -- 3%
    • Fmr. Governor Casey -- 2%
    • Rep Schroeder -- 1%
    • Undecided, Unsure, Other -- 19%
    Opinion Polling for the Democratic Presidential Primary (New Hampshire January 1996)
    • Governor Clinton -- 16%
    • Senator Gore -- 12%
    • Governor Cuomo -- 9%
    • Senator Feingold -- 8%
    • Senator Kerrey -- 7%
    • Fmr. Governor Brown -- 7%
    • Senator Bentsen -- 5%
    • Fmr. Governor Casey -- 3%
    • Rep Schroeder -- 3%
    • Undecided, Unsure, Other -- 30%
    Edgeofnight
    EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 01:42:31 AM »

NYT: Ross Perot on Second Presidential Bid: “I’m going to run again.”

Outspoken Businessman Ross Perot told the New York Times in a recent interview that he would again run for President as an Independent. He told the NYT that he was already assembling a campaign team, with plans for a more formal announcement in March. The Texas Billionaire has never held public office, and briefly sought the Presidency in 1992 before withdrawing in mid July. Perot intends to offer himself as a viable alternative to the “ruling duopoly.” He has been an outspoken critic of NAFTA, and has recently supported a balanced budget amendment. In a matchup with a Gore, the leading democrat, and Quayle, the leading Republican, Perot is shown gathering up to 20% of the electorate. He is polling strongest in rural states, such as Maine and the plains states.
    Edgeofnight
    EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »

Next Part will be up tonight or tomorrow. I've been super busy these past two weeks, sorry in advanced.
    Edgeofnight
    EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »

Chapter 5:The Build Up

GOP Alaska Strawpoll Results

The first contest of the 1996 primary season, the non-binding Alaska Strawpoll, was held on January 29th, 1996.
    • ✓ Mr. Buchanan -- 45%
    • Mr. Forbes -- 16%
    • Vice President Quayle -- 15%
    • Congressman Gingrich -- 10%
    • Senator Dole -- 9%
    • Governor Weld -- 2%
    • Governor Wilson -- 2%
    • Fmr. Congressman Rick Santorum -- 1%

For Quayle, the results meant he had to double down on winning Iowa. If he didn’t, his chances of winning the nomination would slip further from his grasp. For Buchanan, the results meant that his strategy, letting Dan Quayle implode on himself, was working.
    Weld and Wilson were “skipping” the Iowa Caucus, in favor of focusing on New Hampshire. Wilson would only need to stay afloat in the First in the Nation Primary. The Western Primaries would be far more favorable to him (so he thought at least). Weld however, was placing all of his eggs in this basket. Nothing short of winning the Granite State would keep him in this race.
    Gingrich’s strategy was to present himself as the conservative alternative to the two front runners. He wasn’t tied to the unpopular Bush administration, yet he hoped his time in office would make him more palatable to the electorate when compared to Buchanan.  Senator Dole had similar hopes. His deep ties to the Republican establishment was his biggest trump card. He had also received the public support of Former President Gerald Ford and numerous Republican Senators nationwide.

GOP Louisiana Caucus (Non-Binding) Results
    • ✓ Mr. Buchanan -- 65%
    • Rep. Gingrich -- 29%
    • Former Rep. Santorum -- 6%

“It’s over. I always knew our path to victory was narrow, but now I believe that it has closed. I want to thank everyone who worked with us on this amazing campaign. I believe that is now time to work for the man I believe will be our next President - Mr. Pat Buchanan! I offer him my full support in this race, and I hope that our party can rally around him so we can beat the Democrats in November…”

Excerpt from Rick Santorum’s concession speech, in which he withdrew his candidacy for President.
    Another win, another bump in polls, this time less severe. Buchanan could now comfortably be considered the frontrunner, although the margin was slim and constantly in flux. Quayle doubled down, hedging his bets on winning a large margin in Iowa.

“...I want to thank everyone who came out and supported me. And I want to assure you, we’re still in this. We are going to win this nomination. Even if we have to pry it from the jaws of defeat.”

-Dan Quayle's speech to supporters after his Iowa Caucus loss.

Iowa GOP Caucus Results (31 Delegates up for Grabs)
    • ✓ Mr. Buchanan -- 31%/ 14 Delegates
    • Vice President Quayle -- 29%/8 Delegates
    • Senator Dole -- 19%/6 Delegates
    • Rep. Gingrich -- 11%/ 2 Delegates
    • Mr. Forbes -- 6%/ 1 Delegate
    • Governor Wilson -- 2%/ 0 Delegates
    • Governor Weld -- 2%/ 0 Delegates

In the mind of Dan Quayle, the results were catastrophic. Buchanan trumped him by a 3 point margin. Yes, there was still time to retake the lead, but that didn’t matter to Quayle. It was an issue of appearances, and he wanted to appear like he had the nomination on lock. One staffer on the Quayle campaign told the New York Times that Quayle became extremely irate after hearing the results. “I have never seen anyone so angry. It was completely out of character [for Quayle]. He kept yelling ‘How the hell did this happen!’”

The other big loser of the night was Senator Dole. His hopes of toppling the two front runners had slipped away, though he wouldn’t admit it just yet. Gingrich was in much the same condition. For Weld, Wilson, and Forbes, the results meant little. None of them had seriously contested the Iowa Caucus.

New Hampshire GOP Primary Results (29 Delegates Up for Grabs)
    • ✓ Governor Weld -- 32%/ 15 Delegates
    • Mr. Buchanan -- 30%/ 9 Delegates
    • Vice President Quayle -- 16%/ 4 Delegates
    • Mr Forbes -- 9%/ 0 Delegates
    • Senator Dole -- 9%/ 0 Delegates
    • Governor Wilson -- 7%/ 0 Delegate
    • Rep. Gingrich -- 4%/0 Delegates

-Bill Weld victory speech, thanking supporters.

Pete Wilson, Bob Dole withdraw after poor showing in New Hampshire Primary.

“God Bless you all. Thank you, thank you all. I want -- I want to thank everyone for supporting to me. Today I’m ending my campaign for president, and offering my support to -- to Governor Weld.  Now, I know you are all disappointed, but I want you all to know, that I have never been more confident, or more proud, in this great country…”
     -Excerpt from Wilson’s withdrawal speech. Senator Dole withdrew later that night in front of a small crowd of supporters, and offered his endorsement to Vice President Quayle.

Current Delegate Totals:
    • Mr. Pat Buchanan - 23 Delegates
    • Governor Bill Weld - 15 Delegates
    • Vice President Dan Quayle - 12 Delegates
    • Senator Dole - 6 Delegates
    • Congressman Gingrich - 2 Delegates
    • Mr. Forbes - 1 Delegate

America Needs R'hllor
    Parrotguy
    Atlas Icon
    Israel

Political Matrix
    E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 03:38:15 AM »

Go Weld!
    Edgeofnight
    EdgeofNight

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 11:26:07 AM »

Iowa Democratic Caucus Results (49 Delegates Up for Grabs)
    • ✓ Senator Gore -- 25%/20 Delegates
    • Governor Clinton -- 20%/16 Delegates
    • Governor Cuomo -- 16%/13 Delegates
    • Senator Feingold -- 13%/0 Delegates
    • Fmr. Governor Brown -- 9%/0 Delegates
    • Senator Kerrey -- 7%/0 Delegates
    • Senator Bentsen -- 6%/0 Delegates
    • Fmr. Governor Casey --3%/0 Delegates
    • Rep. Schroeder -- 1%/0 Delegates

MAINEiac4434
    Junior Chimp
    France