HOUSE RESOLUTION: Clean House Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:12:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE RESOLUTION: Clean House Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HOUSE RESOLUTION: Clean House Amendment (Failed)  (Read 729 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:17:15 AM »
« edited: December 09, 2017, 06:08:26 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Section 3. Enactment

This amendment shall take effect on the first regularly scheduled federal election following ratification.[/quote]

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Pending
[/quote]

Sponsor: NC Yankee
House Designation: HR 1175
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:20:34 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to begin advocating for this, and all other members have an additional 48 hours to respond with there initial concerns, questions and the like.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 02:31:06 AM »

So, as we promised in our House Platform in the October 2017 election, an amendment is being brought up for debate and a vote to reduce the House of Representatives to seven members from nine. I had several different versions that I was working on, but ultimately the holidays made work more demanding and time that I ended up having off a week ago, was spent in agony after an emergency dental visit.

Anyway, this version was composed by Senator Scott, since it is going to be introduced in both chambers, this will speed up the process as well and therefore I opted to introduce his version, as opposed to rewriting the section, which is what I was endeavoring to do in my drafts.

I will say that it is with reluctance that we proceed in this fashion and we should note the fact that we are only doing so, because the circumstances dictated. We must dedicate ourselves and remain committed to ensuring an equal voice for the people in the Congress of Atlasia. This is our country's most democratic institution and the one that best reflects the people and the diversity of this game and ensures that the interests of the nation are being advanced with an equal voice to those of sectional an interest.

Our system of government is superior because it ensures an equal seat at the table for people the people and the regions and thereby strives to ensure that both are adequately represented and that the policy outcomes take into consideration all critical factors and all sections of the countries.

It is concerning that the forces of elitism and institutionalism have taken aim at the People's House, when it has been the house that has routinely been a voice for advocating for the national interest, from ensuring that we do not add recklessly to the debt, to seeking to reform and safeguard our electoral process from corruption and fraud, to ensuring that an alternative viewpoint is present on a number of issues. As we take this step, we must make clear that we are taking this step to strengthen and improve the House, its activity and its quality of membership, as opposed to trying to degradate or erode the most democratic and popular institution in this federal Republic, and avoid this country being turned into some elitist oligarchy, where the people are ignored and cheated.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »

I am strongly opposed to this bill because I view it as highly unnecessary to shrink the size of the House. We should keep nine members because it allows more accurate representation for smaller ideological subsets of the Atlasian population. A seven member house wouldn't solve any of our current problems relating to activity and would potentially further stunt debate on key issues and bills.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »

I am very much opposed to this bill.  I enjoy working with all 8 of my colleagues and see shrinking the House as unnecessary and counterproductive.  As LouisvilleThunder pointed out, this also has the effect of reducing ideological diversity and perspectives in the House.  This bill should not go forward.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »

If I may chime in as the author and Senate sponsor...

To reiterate, this was not a choice I wanted the Congress to have to consider, but I agreed with Yankee's proposal last month because we are undoubtedly facing an activity crisis in the game, especially in House campaigns which frequently consist of little or nothing more than a single post in the declaration thread.  Parties constantly scramble to find people willing to run up until the last minute.  The last election had a grand total of ten people competing to fill a nine-member body.

This isn't the first time a legislative body in the game has had to shrink itself to accommodate for public disinterest, and as someone who's worked with the regional government in Lincoln I can attest to it being sometimes necessary for the function of the legislature.  I hope that this body will consider the merits of this proposal in light of the current state of the game as opposed to what we would like it to be.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

I agree with the concerns that Louisville Thunder and RFayette in the Federalist Caucus raise regarding the reduction of Congresspersons from 9 to 7.

I also agree with the esteemed Senator Scott from my region on the concerns regarding the Atlasian inactivity crisis plaguing Atlasia and finding enough electors for offices.

In closing, this bill shall be a no-go for passage.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »

I think this is a bad idea. The current format of 9 members allows for strong ideological diversity and better debate. Sure, when times are busy it's tough for everybody, but I think that having 9 has in no way hindered our ability to govern or pass legislation. I would contend that it makes the House more successful.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:47:08 PM »

I am strongly opposed to this bill because I view it as highly unnecessary to shrink the size of the House. We should keep nine members because it allows more accurate representation for smaller ideological subsets of the Atlasian population. A seven member house wouldn't solve any of our current problems relating to activity and would potentially further stunt debate on key issues and bills.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 03:35:02 AM »

I motion for a final vote, Representatives have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 03:24:21 AM »

just 10 minutes left to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 03:52:41 AM »

A final vote is now open on this amendment, Representatives please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 04:09:52 AM »

NAY!
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »

NAY
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »

Nay!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »

Nay
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 03:50:47 AM »

AYE
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Clean House Amendment:

Aye (1): NC Yankee
Nay (6): Haslam2020, Illiniwek, JGibson, LouisvilleThunder, Peebs and VPH
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (2): Pessimistic and Rfayette.

Wit 2/3rds of the House having not voted in the affirmative, The Resolution is now adopted.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies