SB 2017-147: Clean House Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:32:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-147: Clean House Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2017-147: Clean House Amendment (Passed)  (Read 756 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
« edited: December 09, 2017, 10:59:16 PM by Siren »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Section 3. Enactment

This amendment shall take effect on the first regularly scheduled federal election following ratification.[/quote]
People's Regional Senate
Pending

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Pending[/quote]
Sponsor: Scott of Lincoln

The floor is open for debate Senators.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2017, 04:39:45 PM by Senator Scott🍂 »

The idea to reduce the amount of seats in the House of Representatives from nine to seven was originally proposed by Speaker Yankee in the run-up to the last elections.  It is a change I was reluctant to support, but determined to be necessary having witnessed the past several House campaigns.

Simply put, we are in a situation where the number of House seats exceeds the interest of those willing to run for them.  Parties scramble to find candidates for their slates until the very last minute.  Often times the campaigns of those who do run for the House consist of little or nothing more than a single post in the declaration thread.  It saddens me to see such little interest in the affairs of our Congress, but this also wouldn't be the first time that legislative bodies in this game have had to shrink themselves to accommodate public disinterest.

Indeed, as the Speaker recently affirmed, it must be made clear that we are making this choice to strengthen the House, and its membership and activity, rather than degrade or erode this foundational institution of our republic, lest we concede our democracy to the interests of the privileged few.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »

I support this amendment. While changing the size of the membership of the House may be a controversial proposal, I believe that it will positively affect the game by increasing game activity and making House elections more competitive.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »

I wonder if this might make elections more interesting. If you end up having more candidates, there will be more competition for the seats. So you have maybe 5 or 6 candidates from a certain ideology running and there's only 3-4 spots. That would be interesting. I think it's unlikely that anyone would ever manage to get a 5 - 2 majority rather than 4 - 3, but it's not like we get 6 - 3 situations in our current setup either.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

I support this amendment. While changing the size of the membership of the House may be a controversial proposal, I believe that it will positively affect the game by increasing game activity and making House elections more competitive.

I agree, and therefore support the amendment.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:04:52 AM »

While I understand the reasoning behind this bill, my biggest worry is that independents and candidates from minor parties will suffer as party machines work harder to make sure their people get in first. Having a larger chamber can invite more diversity of ideas, and we aren't in an abysmal state of activity compared to what we've experienced before. With all that said, I'm leaning towards opposing this.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 04:04:53 PM »

Unless anyone objects, I'll start the final vote in 24 hours.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:58:08 AM »

While I understand the reasoning behind this bill, my biggest worry is that independents and candidates from minor parties will suffer as party machines work harder to make sure their people get in first. Having a larger chamber can invite more diversity of ideas, and we aren't in an abysmal state of activity compared to what we've experienced before. With all that said, I'm leaning towards opposing this.

This is an important point. The lower number of House members, means the likely quota for a given election will increase.

We have averaged a quota of 12, with 13 once or twice under nine members. Seven members would raise that quota for the same turnout (say 120), from 13 to 16. That may not seem like a lot but that could make or break someone's ability to win. It won't just affect independents, but progressives and conservatives, to the benefit of establishment centrists. I pointed this irony out in the last campaign, with all the talk of "echo chamber consensus", reducing or eliminating the House actually worsens that.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »

This is an important point. The lower number of House members, means the likely quota for a given election will increase.

We have averaged a quota of 12, with 13 once or twice under nine members. Seven members would raise that quota for the same turnout (say 120), from 13 to 16. That may not seem like a lot but that could make or break someone's ability to win. It won't just affect independents, but progressives and conservatives, to the benefit of establishment centrists. I pointed this irony out in the last campaign, with all the talk of "echo chamber consensus", reducing or eliminating the House actually worsens that.

I'm glad we see eye to eye on this, Yankee.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and interpret that as not objecting. The final vote starts now Senators. Please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »

I'm glad we see eye to eye on this, Yankee.

It is a tough decision for me, because I am also concerned about sustainability as well.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 08:13:14 PM »

Aye.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »

Aye
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »

Nay
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 06:15:57 PM »

Aye
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 06:59:56 PM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »

With 4 votes in favor, 1 vote against, and 1 not voting, this amendment passes the Atlasian Senate.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Section 3. Enactment

This amendment shall take effect on the first regularly scheduled federal election following ratification.[/quote]
People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-1-1 in the Atlasian Senate assembled

[/quote]
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies