Confirmation Hearing of Blair for Lincoln Associate SC Justice (P2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:41:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing of Blair for Lincoln Associate SC Justice (P2)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing of Blair for Lincoln Associate SC Justice (P2)  (Read 517 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »

The floor is open for questioning.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »

Hello again Mr. Speaker. I greatly enjoyed our last round of legal discussion, and to help warm you up for the other questioners from your Region who I am sure will participate this time, I have a few more general questions about Constitutional interpretation I was hoping you might answer.

1.) Generally speaking, do you agree with current Supreme Court doctrine prohibiting federal commandeering of local officials, as laid out in Printz v. U.S.? To refresh, commandeering is when local government officials or employees are required by federal law to carry out and enforce federal law, and has come up in the past in a variety of settings, from personal liberty laws under the fugitive slave act, to the failed attempt to require local police to conduct background checks for the feds, to the current debate over sanctuary cities.

2.) Functionally, the IRL 9th Amendment is merely a rule of interpretation for judges, which precludes them from assuming that something is not a right, merely because it is not written down in the Constitution. Generally speaking, are there any unlisted rights you believe are obviously extant?

3.) The IRL 4th Amendment restricts the power of the government to seize property absent a warrant or probable cause. The IRL 5th Amendment prohibits the government from depriving a person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. Generally speaking, do you believe the practice of some law enforcement agencies of confiscating property suspected of being criminal in origin, and then requiring the owner of record of said property to verify the legal status of the property in order to reclaim it, complies with the probable cause and due process requirements of the 4th and 5th Amendments.

4.) Current Supreme Court doctrine has long held that even when the government is performing certain non-sovereign functions, such as employing persons or operating colleges, the government is still a state actor subject to the limitations of the bill of rights. Generally speaking, do you agree with this doctrine? Asked differently, do you believe that the government is still limited by the restraints of the bill of rights during employee grievance hearings or student disciplinary proceedings?

5.) One of the enumerated powers granted to Congress, is the power to define piracy on the high seas and offenses against the laws of nations. Generally speaking, do you believe this power is broad enough to allow Congress to draft a hypothetical law defining terrorism by foreign nationals as a crime, and relatedly to authorize future actions against suspected terrorists absent a declaration of war or particularized Authorization of Use of Military Force?

6.) Choose 1 of the following and explain why: Elena Kagan; Stephen Breyer; Byron White.

7.) Choose 1 of the following and explain why: Admiralty Law; Patent Law; Bankruptcy Law.

Thank you once again for your time.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2017, 01:29:13 AM by Assemblyman ReaganClinton »

Welp, I don’t have Kyc here to back me up on this one.

My position has changed, anyways. I must say, that now that I am working with Blair, I can see he is overwhelmingly capable of doing any job he’s handed. No doubt about that. I still have my gripes about the nominee not being as much of a centerist as I want, but I guess I’ll have to deal with it, there’s no negotiating with the Labor complexion. Now all I will fight for is that he will pledge not to vote with his party, but as an independent with his own opinions, akin to what he offered in the first hearing. We don’t need a bias in government, we need what’s right, and I’d like to see that from him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »

Welp, I don’t have Kyc here to back me up on this one.

My position has changed, anyways. I must say, that now that I am working with Blair, I can see he is overwhelmingly capable of doing any job he’s handed. No doubt about that. I still have my gripes about the nominee not being as much of a centerist as I want, but I guess I’ll have to deal with it, there’s no negotiating with the Labor complexion. Now all I will fight for is that he will pledge not to vote with his party, but as an independent with his own opinions, akin to what he offered in the first hearing. We don’t need a bias in government, we need what’s right, and I’d like to see that from him.

I'm currently writing up/doing some wider reading to give good answers to Mr Reactionarys questions, and hopefully will have them done asap.

If I was on the court I'd take the simple step of not discussing active, or possible cases with anyone who isn't on the court. So for example, if there was a law that was passed by a Labor lead Assembly, and championed by Governor Lok, which got challenged for some reason, and then I got a message from a Laborite saying 'The bill should be constitutional/what do you think/what strategy should we use in the court' I would obviously tell them that I can't make any comment as it's a matter that could, or would be in front of the court. I'd also obviously not accept any offices within Labor.

I hope that my answers to the specific legal arguments that will be posted soon (along with the ones I provided last time) demonstrate that I'd look at the legal specifics of the case, rather than the simple party line. To give a preview they're cases where I'd find myself disagreeing with the Democrat appointed justices (and those who are lazily seen as being from the 'liberal' wing, a definition that is misleading but still exists) such as Pintz v United States, Gonzales v Raich In the case of Pintz v United States I'd largely agree with the aim (universal background checks for handguns) but I'd disagree with the method that it was done by (commandeering local police forces) If a Labor Assembly, or Labor ran federal government put forward that policy, and I had that specific case I'd rule with the majority, and declare it unconstitutional.

There's not really much more I can say on the subject; but to put it simply I want to serve Lincoln, and that's the length of my ambition. I ran for the Assembly; and have enjoyed working with everyone to just get on with the job.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2017, 05:58:01 PM by Speaker Blair »

I'll post my answers as I write them, and then edit them in; I won't be able to post any replies for the next 12 hours due to Time Zones and since I'm getting a train back to uni tomorrow morning.

1.) I largely agree with Pintz v U.S, as I said in my last hearing in regards to flag burning it's one of the cases where the political aim (Gun Control) should not be seen as the main factor; but rather the legal case. Whilst of course the actual practical issues matter (in terms of what the legislation deals with) being on the court should be primarily about the constitutional foundation of the case, precedent etc.

The issue of how the federal, and regional governments interact with my understanding is one that has undergone changes since the 1980s, with New York v United States, which said that the federal government couldn't force states to make policy in relation to the storing of nuclear waste.

In reference to Pintz, I'd agree with O'Connor concurrent opinion, that the federal government may tie federal funds to certain conditions (in the conditions of South Dakota v Dole, but it can't simply deputize state or regional law enforcement to carry out federal policy without their consent. I'd agree with this quote below from a law article I found

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The article points out that paradoxically, this means that a large federal bureaucracy would be needed to process background checks (rather than local law officials) but this ins't a legal concern. I'm happy to expand my viewpoint; but in other situations involving federal law such as Gonzales v Reich I'm minded to agree with the dissent that it was overbearing upon the states. I have a similar view about the recent RL events of ICE agents being able to demand that local police keep people in jail without charge for up to 48 hours. Of course though, my ruling would be dependent on the specifics of any case.

2.) My understanding is that the 9th amendment was adopted because there was concern that rights that existed, but that weren't explicit could be lost. Likewise the 9th amendment was relatively obscure until it was used in Griswold in Douglas opinion. I'd of course agree with the Griswold decision, and likewise with Justice Douglas that there is a right to privacy in the constitution; which comes from both the 4th and 5th amendment. I haven't done a lot of reading on the 9th amendment (and currently have a journal article open) but I'm minded to understand it deals with the expansion of rights. Namely because it dealt with the future rights, and there was of course a much more limited view on certain rights.

Again this may sound a bit confusing as my response is going off what I've read on the 9th amendment, but I'd follow the interpenetration that the 9th amendment, by being applied to the right to privacy, in terms allows for certain reforms in terms of sexual politics, protected the right to contraception, the right for unmarried couples to have access to contraception, the rights of homosexuals to engage in private sexual acts and so on. It's basically the idea that we should appreciate, and understand changes in society (to a certain degree)

3.) The question is referring to Civil Forfeiture I assume; something that we've reformed heavily in Atlasia, but one that the RL court haven't ruled on in recent years.

I don't think the current system practiced in the US at large is compatible (I think two states have reformed the law) with the 4th or 5th amendment. In both cases it allows the police to deprive people of their property without either a warrant, or due process. There's numerous cases such as a college student having his life savings seized because his bag smelled of marijuana, a women having money from her house sale seized and christian rock band having all their concert profits taken.

I've actually got two concerns with civil forfeiture; firstly it gives disproportionate power to the police over property which they would never have over people. My understanding is that you can use much weaker (and in some cases virtually no) evidence to seize property from people; and as Thomas points out in his concurrent opinion in Leonard v Texas, these people are disproportionately the less well off in society. It's actually something which I think happens a lot in government; a tool that was re-introduced, as civil forfeiture was in the 1970s, which has rather laudable goals; namely to seize the assets relating from the Drug Cartels. However in recent years we've seen this power mismanaged, and abused by the police.

I read Thomas concurrent opinion in Leonard v Texas, and it reassured me that I could find a case where I agreed with every Justice on the court. He outlines how the practice has been abused, has morphed over times and is one where hopefully the court will rule (although he joined in rejecting the case on a technical detail)

Secondly I'd actually go further than Thomas, and say that the practice of forfeiture is questionable even when criminal actives have emerged; as discussed in Bennis v Michigan, where a woman's car which she owned with her husband was seized as he was caught having sex with a prostitute in the car. I'd struggle to see how this car was crucial to the crime, and how this either prevented the crime from being committed in the future. I could write a lot more on the subject as it's one that fascinates me; but the basic element of my argument is yes, the 4th and 5th (and also I believe the 8th amendment, as outlined in Austin v United States under the excessive fines clause) amendment mean that there's areas of dispute should a case come to court.

4.) The point of concern/debate for me is where the line between state actors is; I looked at the case Edmonson v Leesville, which whilst about racial objections in civil trials, expanded the definition of state actions. I read both Kennedy's opinion, and Scalia's dissent, and found myself more sympathetic to Kennedy, and would use the three rules to establish what a state actor is...
You must be logged in to read this quote.

There was also mentioning of the 'Nexus test', which requires you to look at the relationship between the state, and the private individual; and of course Burton v Wilmington Parking Authority, where I'd be supportive of the majority decision that renting space from a government owned building, makes you a state actor, as there was a mutual relationship.

One thing of interest is that as I did more research into this, I realized that I was more sympathetic to the view that forums such as school newspapers, should be considered state actors; an issue that has came up in both Hazelwood v Kuhlmeier, and Tinker v Des Moines. Although one issue raised in a law review article was that 1st amendment concerns should be on equal footing with racial concerns (under the 14th amendment) The article pointed out that it's rather paradoxical that a schools newspaper would be seen as a state actor if it refused an African-American a position on their editorial board based on race, but would not be seen as state actor if it refused to publish an advert.

I'm aware that I've gone off topic slightly (as school newspapers where the topic where I found the most interesting literature) but I hope that it demonstrated my thinking on the matter, namely that I'd take a more expansive definition of what consists as a state action.

6.) I'd pick Breyer out of the three. I considered picking White because I could talk about his lack weird quasi-resistance to some elements of the Warren Court, and his support for President Kennedy in 1960 endeared him to me but him dissenting in Miranda v Arizona was a serious red flag; especially his claim that overtly aggressive policing protects the rights of law abiding citizens, and thus should be allowed (or words to that affect).

So I'll talk about Breyer, specifically his dissent in Glossip v Gross, which was a very engaging one, and one that I found myself agreeing with in regards to the constitutionality of the death penalty; specifically on the failures that have been seen in the implementation of the Death Penalty. He's certainly correct that the court should see that the issues it mentioned in Gregg v Georgia, have not been resolved. The issue of unreliability, arbitrariness and the excessive delays in implementing capital punishment.

I also appreciate Breyer saying that justices should see the consequences of their interpretations and decisions; and is one of the main reasons that I've had a skeptical view of certain law enforcement powers that the court has reaffirmed in Utah v Strief,f without considering the wider implications  

7.) I'd admit that all three are areas that I'm not that enthusiastic about but admirably law poses the most interest for me, namely because I'm always fascinated by the example that the Titanic's owners rushed to Federal Court after the sinking to limit their liability to the the value of the tickets+the remaining lifeboats. I believe that similar actions were taken by BP during the horizon oil spill, with the argument being in both cases that it was necessary as the disaster was out of their hands (although without looking at the cases, I'd say that both companies made certain errors)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 03:24:49 PM »

like I said last time I still like Independent Judiciary but it's up to you to enforce it or not Tongue
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »

Thank you for your concise and well-researched answers Mr. Speaker. No further questions. In both public exchanges we have had on your potential judgeship I believe you have demonstrated a more than adequate knowledge base of the law, as well as judicial philosophy that though not always in alignment with my own, nonetheless suggests independence and a commitment to neutral principles of legal interpretation. And that is not easy for me to say, since I think justice breyer is a demon and you have now praised him twice. I hope to argue before you in the future.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »

I'd like to apologize for not entering this thread sooner and asking any questions of my own. With some last-minute RL electoral stuff to attend to, I just haven't had a chance in the short-time window to ask anything that hasn't already been asked by one of the other people in the two confirmation hearing threads thus far, which thankfully have resulted in many detailed questions being asked and answered.

I would like to commend the nominee on his positive attitude and relentless dedication to answering questions and adhering to the better nature of the process. If I had been in his shoes throughout this broader situation over the past few weeks, I wouldn't have been able to respond to events with such poise and diligence.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 11:25:12 PM »

With the 72-hour period for questions having since elapsed, I will now open a vote on the confirmation of Blair as Lincoln Associate Justice. Assemblymembers may vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 05:54:08 AM »

Though I wish I could keep you as a co-worker, I know you’ll work well in the courts. My vote is “aye.”
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »

Though I wish I could keep you as a co-worker, I know you’ll work well in the courts. My vote is “aye.”

Well put!

AYE
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »

Abstain.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »

Pursuant to SOAP and with all of the delegates having voted, I officially close this confirmation vote.

With 2 votes in favor and 1 abstention, the nominee has been confirmed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies