TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:49:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43
Poll
Question: Who Would You Vote For In a Matchup
Phil Bredesen (D)
Marsha Blackburn (R)
The Libertarian
Other
Undecided
Abstain
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi  (Read 93080 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 04, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »

We’re talking about a candidate who swept every county in 2006 and won by 39 points in said state, when demographics were slightly better for Dems but still very unfavorable. He has the adventage of being able to tap into a reservoir of residual goodwill/nostalgia and is uniquely suited to appeal to high propensity and center-right voters who are fine with Bill Lee but just can’t bring themselves to vote for a "shrill extremist/lunatic" over their Phil Bredesen.

I guess we’ll see on Tuesday, but I guarantee you if Blackburn actually wins by double digits on election night, then Democrats will have a lot bigger problems to worry about than this race.

As I stated before, gubernatorials are VERY different from federal elections. Why did a Democratic Governor get elected in a Trump+42 state in 2016 by 7 points? (Justice switched to Republican later but the point stands lol) while that same year a Hillary+27 state (with 5% Bernie write ins) voted 7 points for their Republican Governor (Vermont).

You can’t assume that a governor’s race from 2006 will correlate even remotely to a federal race in 2018. TN even elected a Republican to the senate while voting 39 points for Bredesen that very same year.

If that doesn’t prove to you that gubernatorial races are vastly different than federal races then IDK what will.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1001 on: November 04, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »

I’m far from a Democratic hack and I still think this race is a Toss-up. If there’s a Democratic tidal wave like everyone here seems to think, it will hit pretty much every state. There’s a lot of uncertainty in this race, and I’m certainly not going to make the mistake of trusting the same people who unironically told me that AL-SEN 2017 was Safe R, sorry. Could Blackburn win by a lot? Absolutely, but if she does, there’s no way Democrats are holding states like MO or IN, winning MT/WV by double digits, or making TX competitive, etc., and more likely that the Democratic "wave" will be a "ripple" instead. Senate race outcomes are highly correlated with one another, they don’t occur in a vacuum.

The demogaphics for TN (60%ish white evangelical voting population, very white Dixie state, etc) are infinitely worse for Democrats than in states like MO, IN, TX, etc. Seeing MO and IN decided by squeakers while TN votes 8 points for Blackburn is well within the cards.

We’re talking about a candidate who swept every county in 2006 and won by 39 points in said state, when demographics were slightly better for Dems but still very unfavorable. He has the adventage of being able to tap into a reservoir of residual goodwill/nostalgia and is uniquely suited to appeal to high propensity and center-right voters who are fine with Bill Lee but just can’t bring themselves to vote for a "shrill extremist/lunatic" over their Phil Bredesen.

I guess we’ll see on Tuesday, but I guarantee you if Blackburn actually wins by double digits on election night, then Democrats will have a lot bigger problems to worry about than this race.
Evan Bayh swept nearly every county in 2004.  He lost by a landslide in 2016.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1002 on: November 04, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »

Evan Bayh also ran against a much stronger opponent in a Republican wave year, and Bredesen doesn’t have Bayh's lobbyist/residency issues that could be used against him in attack ads. Not the best comparison, to say least.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1003 on: November 04, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »

Bredesen will likely lose but it's not because he ran a pretty bad campaign like Bayh, it's just that Tennessee is too red and evangelical. Bredesen was still the best chance for Democrats to win here.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1004 on: November 04, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »

Bredesen will likely lose but it's not because he ran a pretty bad campaign like Bayh, it's just that Tennessee is too red and evangelical. Bredesen was still the best chance for Democrats to win here.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1005 on: November 04, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »

Evan Bayh also ran against a much stronger opponent in a Republican wave year, and Bredesen doesn’t have Bayh's lobbyist/residency issues that could be used against him in attack ads. Not the best comparison, to say least.
In 2004?  lol, Marvin Scott was a total joke candidate who makes Alan Keyes look like an unbeatable titan.
SCNCmod

« Reply #1006 on: November 04, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »

The one thing that gives me hope for Bredesen... is I still go back to not being able to imagine Marsha Blackburn being elected to Senate- especially against a very popular and trusted 2 term governor who had hugely successful achievements that many still remember.  He is literally the antithesis to Blackburn.  I'm hoping enough people- especially undecided voters, will end up pulling the lever so-to-speak for the comfortable old shoe they know and trust.

Also- he was a Hugely popular Mayor of Nashville for 8 years- so I'm hoping he over-performs in a big way in Nashville.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1007 on: November 04, 2018, 04:30:51 PM »

In 2004?  lol, Marvin Scott was a total joke candidate who makes Alan Keyes look like an unbeatable titan.

2016, obviously.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1008 on: November 04, 2018, 04:36:14 PM »

The one thing that gives me hope for Bredesen... is I still go back to not being able to imagine Marsha Blackburn being elected to Senate

You're letting your liberal bias cloud your objectivity. A majority of Tennessee voters are perfectly fine with Marsha Blackburn being elected to the Senate. They just voted for the pussygrabber by 28 points, and she wins in a landslide in her district consistently (yes, the district is more Republican than Tennessee as a whole, but still.)
SCNCmod

« Reply #1009 on: November 04, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »

What effect- if any- will the TN congressional elections have on the Senate race... ie- do Dems have strong candidates in all of the races to help turn out voters, etc
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1010 on: November 04, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »

Well, if Blackburn is such a solid bet to win, why is Trump in Tennessee to prop her up?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1011 on: November 04, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »

Well, if Blackburn is such a solid bet to win, why is Trump in Tennessee to prop her up?

Trump also went to Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Mississippi. Does that mean those races are competitive?

From what I can tell, Trump is going practically everywhere. He's going to be wasting his time a day before the election propping up Jim Renacci, lol.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1012 on: November 04, 2018, 06:12:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump is a big time extrovert and narcissist who loves doing rallies and traveling across the country to hear adoring fans flock to him as he bashes all the people on his “not very nice” list. This is what fuels him even more than Diet Coke. The amazing thing about Trump is how often people attribute 4D chess strategy to him when 9 times out of 10 he’s just doing what makes him feel good.

Also what Icespear said right above me lol.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1013 on: November 04, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump is a big time extrovert and narcissist who loves doing rallies and traveling across the country to hear adoring fans flock to him as he bashes all the people on his “not very nice” list. This is what fuels him even more than Diet Coke. The amazing thing about Trump is how often people attribute 4D chess strategy to him when 9 times out of 10 he’s just doing what makes him feel good.

Also what Icespear said right above me lol.

Trump may be playing 4D Chess, but unfortunately for him it's a Bridge tournament.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1014 on: November 04, 2018, 07:29:10 PM »

What effect- if any- will the TN congressional elections have on the Senate race... ie- do Dems have strong candidates in all of the races to help turn out voters, etc

In 2, 3, 4, and 7, the candidates are decent and trying hard. They have no hope of winning, but, yes, they are working it hard. Many more state house candidates too.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1015 on: November 05, 2018, 04:13:05 AM »

We've had several polls showing Lee basically at +10 over the past week: I find it hard to believe that Dean will perform anywhere nearly as well as Bredesen. If Dean's getting into the low-to-mid 40s, I don't see how Bredesen loses by more than 5.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1016 on: November 05, 2018, 07:23:51 AM »

Trump also went to Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Mississippi. Does that mean those races are competitive?

From what I can tell, Trump is going practically everywhere. He's going to be wasting his time a day before the election propping up Jim Renacci, lol.

Trump hasn't been to those states in weeks.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1017 on: November 05, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »

Trump hasn’t been in New Jersey for weeks and yet it is still competitive.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1018 on: November 05, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »

NJ isn’t competitive. Only delusional hacks think that.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1019 on: November 05, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »

Thank the delusional hacks for that.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1020 on: November 05, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »

When someone who isn't from New Jersey gives an analysis on NJ politics:
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1021 on: November 05, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »

I'm just going to leave this here:
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1022 on: November 05, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »

I'm just going to leave this here:

You do realize this is a state that went D+14 in 2016, D+18 in 2012, and D+16 in 2008, and a majority of these polls have Menendez leading by single digits, correct?

Good try, canuck.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1023 on: November 05, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »

You do realize this is a state that went D+14 in 2016, D+18 in 2012, and D+16 in 2008, and a majority of these polls have Menendez leading by single digits, correct?

Good try, canuck.

He's leading by double digits in all of the past three polls LMAO.

In any case, I'm out. I'm not wasting my time with delusional hacks on an off-topic argument.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1024 on: November 05, 2018, 10:54:20 AM »

Um ok back on topic. Anybody else think Bredesen can break 70% in Davidson and Shelby county.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies