TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:30:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 43
Poll
Question: Who Would You Vote For In a Matchup
Phil Bredesen (D)
Marsha Blackburn (R)
The Libertarian
Other
Undecided
Abstain
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi  (Read 92301 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: November 12, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »

YES!PLEASE!

seriously, he could win. I am making a county map now!

HECK YEAH!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #251 on: November 12, 2017, 03:42:28 PM »

So I was thinking about how strange it is that a good old boy state (TN) is considering electing a women (Marsha Blackburn) on a statewide level. And I was absolutely amazed by how much momentum she is getting. And I was mulling over on if she could ever be defeated, and I came out with an idea. What if democrats got a near clone to a Trumpian, except on some economic issues, and ran him against Blackburn? This candidate would be male, somewhat sexist, a little openly, and mostly indirectly, and go after Blackburn, distancing herself from "Real TN values" and not understanding us since she does not even know us and cannot accurately represent "us". Stuff like that. Throw red meat at the base of the opposite party, try to bring back enough TN white male votes, and form a coalition to win. Basically, take Blackburn down with a candidate like Trump, except a democrat, and have a combo of indirect sexism, social conservatism, and economic left wing positions, along with being male, to take Blackburn out of the senate in 2022. Essentially, even if a democrat did this in tn, they likely would not lose much of the female vote in state, and possibly draw enough tn white male voters with his rhetoric to form a winning coalition. What do yall think? Could this work, and is it ethical? I think it is ethical, anything to take down Marsha Blackburn besides violence, that is never ok.
This reminds me of that atlas post saying democrats should run a race baiting campaign against Tim Scott.

He's is just thinking strategically, totally ethical, in fact I like it so much, I'm gonna send a friend request.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: November 12, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »

also this-
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/31/blackburn-bredesen-virtually-tied-approval-ratings-us-senate-race-mtsu-poll-says/817291001/

and this-
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/10/sen-alexander-phil-bredesen-would-talks-taxes-healthcare-bredesen-and-north-korea-exclusive-intervie/852603001/
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: November 12, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »

It's possible!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #254 on: November 12, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »

I'd vote Bredesen obviously, but he'd likely meet the same fate as Linda Lingle and Evan Bayh.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: November 12, 2017, 04:00:37 PM »

I am just not seeing this.  Even if Nashville and Memphis do what NOVA and Hampton Roads did in VA-GOV and Williamson goes the way of Chesterfield, 2/3rds of the state is still basically VA-09 and filled with diehard rural Trump supporters.  This is a harder lift than Mississippi or Louisiana IMO.
It's more urban than Alabama at least, and the events of the past week have given the Dems a prayer in that state.

I'm pretty sure Blackburn isn't a pedophile.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: November 12, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »

I'd vote Bredesen obviously, but he'd likely meet the same fate as Linda Lingle and Evan Bayh.

The Bayh analogy is an extremely generous view of Bredesen's hypothetical prospects. Lingle 2012 is his absolute ceiling, IMO.

I wasn't so much comparing the margins as I was the idea of "super popular former Governor entering an open seat Senate race in a state very unfriendly to their party, surely they'll be at least competitive if not favored to win" thing.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »

Let's have Bredesen run, have Bayh and Strickland primary Donnelly and Brown, bring back Mark Pryor in AR. It can be the 90s again, folks!

While we're at it, I think Siegelman could make an EXCELLENT AL Gov candidate. He was framed, after all.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #258 on: November 12, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »

Let's have Bredesen run, have Bayh and Strickland primary Donnelly and Brown, bring back Mark Pryor in AR. It can be the 90s again, folks!

While we're at it, I think Siegelman could make an EXCELLENT AL Gov candidate. He was framed, after all.

Better yet: Democrats should run far-left candidates in literally every district, especially business-inclined, pro-life districts. That'll get you a majority for sure!

Even better: purge everyone who isn't the equivalent of Bernie Sanders or Lee Carter or anywhere else to the left. We know that anyone to the right of those two is basically Francisco Franco.

Seriously, it's a big-tent party. Learn to work with it.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #259 on: November 12, 2017, 09:00:01 PM »

Better yet: Democrats should run far-left candidates in literally every district, especially business-inclined, pro-life districts. That'll get you a majority for sure!

Even better: purge everyone who isn't the equivalent of Bernie Sanders or Lee Carter or anywhere else to the left. We know that anyone to the right of those two is basically Francisco Franco.

I'm fine with a big tent. What I'm not fine with is assuming that dredging up people who haven't run a campaign since ARPANET was a thing is The Magic Bullet.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #260 on: November 12, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »

Besides, we all know Dolly has this in the bag.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: November 12, 2017, 09:02:43 PM »

I'm fine with a big tent. What I'm not fine with is assuming that dredging up people who haven't run a campaign since ARPANET was a thing is The Magic Bullet.

It's without question by far the best shot we got.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #262 on: November 12, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »

Easily Marsha Blackburn.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #263 on: November 12, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »

Then there should be a nice, open primary with the best recruits to make sure that Bredesen or whoever else wins is up to speed Tongue
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #264 on: November 12, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »

I'd put more faith in James Mackler than I would in Bredesen, at this point. New faces are the Democratic Party's only way forward.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #265 on: November 12, 2017, 09:08:29 PM »

I'd put more faith in James Mackler than I would in Bredesen, at this point. New faces are the Democratic Party's only way forward.

^^^
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #266 on: November 12, 2017, 09:47:04 PM »

I agree. His coalition is either dead or think the Democrats are Godless, amoral, tyrants who are working for the Deep State. They need to carve out a new path to victory even if there will be growing pains in doing so.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #267 on: November 12, 2017, 10:58:27 PM »

Yep. Generally former officials try to cash out after leaving office. I believe Bredesen was personally wealthy beforehand so it might be less so, but still - the kind of things politicans do when they cash out make it so its kinda hard to become a politician again.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2017, 12:23:17 AM »

So I was thinking about how strange it is that a good old boy state (TN) is considering electing a women (Marsha Blackburn) on a statewide level. And I was absolutely amazed by how much momentum she is getting. And I was mulling over on if she could ever be defeated, and I came out with an idea. What if democrats got a near clone to a Trumpian, except on some economic issues, and ran him against Blackburn? This candidate would be male, somewhat sexist, a little openly, and mostly indirectly, and go after Blackburn, distancing herself from "Real TN values" and not understanding us since she does not even know us and cannot accurately represent "us". Stuff like that. Throw red meat at the base of the opposite party, try to bring back enough TN white male votes, and form a coalition to win. Basically, take Blackburn down with a candidate like Trump, except a democrat, and have a combo of indirect sexism, social conservatism, and economic left wing positions, along with being male, to take Blackburn out of the senate in 2022. Essentially, even if a democrat did this in tn, they likely would not lose much of the female vote in state, and possibly draw enough tn white male voters with his rhetoric to form a winning coalition. What do yall think? Could this work, and is it ethical? I think it is ethical, anything to take down Marsha Blackburn besides violence, that is never ok.
This reminds me of that atlas post saying democrats should run a race baiting campaign against Tim Scott.

He's is just thinking strategically, totally ethical, in fact I like it so much, I'm gonna send a friend request.

Most obvious sock ever.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2017, 12:46:51 AM »

I think Bredesen would be the strongest Democratic candidate, and, in a Trump mid-term in an open seat, he might have a chance.

Also draft Ray Mabus/Ronnie Musgrove (MS), Dave Freudenthal (WY), Jim Matheson (UT), and Ben Nelson (NE).
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:11 PM »

Phil is among the 2002 class of Governors that fell off the face of the earth after they left office, along with Riley, Freudenthal, Carcieri, Douglas, Baldaaci, Rell, Ritter, Culver, Gibbons, Henry, Kulongoski, and Doyle.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #271 on: November 15, 2017, 11:40:50 PM »

Yes, clearly embracing Phil Bredesen, who might get 35% of the vote if he's lucky, is the key to getting a majority in Congress.

No, he'd get over 40%, but under 45.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #272 on: November 15, 2017, 11:47:29 PM »

Then there should be a nice, open primary with the best recruits to make sure that Bredesen or whoever else wins is up to speed Tongue

This is actually a very fair critique, and I agree.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »

This is actually a very fair critique, and I agree.

Lol, if Bredesen runs, the nomination is his, XD. That's not even in question.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #274 on: November 18, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »

I just looked Bredesen up. He’s 73 years old. Are there no young people in the Tennessee Democratic Party?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies